Re: [UniQuaria] Eheim ECCO 2231

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      From: "Lennart Eden" <le.e@...>

      Hey Lennart,

      << If at all possible, go for the bigger model. There is no such thing as
      over filtration in my book. I generally find that the better filtration I
      have the less problems I run into when all other factors are equal. The
      larger model will provide much better circulation. >>

      Thanks :) I'd rather have the larger one and the price difference between
      the 2 wasn't very much.

      << Remember that dense plants will reduce circulation a lot! Probably more
      than you have anticipated.>>

      You're right! I could just picture all my plants being tossed around this
      tank!!! Especially with the larger filter that's rated up to 60 gallons --
      that's 3 times my tank size!!!

      << Good luck with your new filter. I havent tried any of the Ecco models but
      I don´t think you will be dissapointed considering the excellent track
      records of their other canister filters.>>

      That's why I went with this one. Lots of people on this list stand behind
      the Eheim name, so I figured I'd give it a go! What would you suggest I put
      in the other baskets?

      << Lennart Norrkoping Sweden >>

      BTW: I did get a chance to see my Pl*co's TEETH!!! He's got some gruesome
      looking fangs!!! I believe you were right with your ID of the L07 "Vampire"
      Pl*co :) Thanks again, Lennart!

      Michelle, LMD in Honolulu, HI
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
      http://www.geocities.com/rr1fish
    • Alfred Heng
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        I would think again about using a 60 gal rated filter
        for a 20 gal planted tank. The water movement will
        remove the co2. I agree that planted tanks do need
        water movement, but that might be too much.

        No such thing as over filtration? If you have a FISH
        tank I agree.

        Alfred

        --- Lennart Eden <le.e@...> wrote:
        > Hi Michelle,
        >
        > If at all possible, go for the bigger model. There
        > is no such
        > thing as over filtration in my book. I generally
        > find that the
        > better filtration I have the less problems I run
        > into when all
        > other factors are equal. The larger model will
        > provide much better
        > circulation. Remember that dense plants will reduce
        > circulation a
        > lot! Probably more than you have anticipated. Good
        > luck with your
        > new filter. I havent tried any of the Ecco models
        > but I don�t
        > think you will be dissapointed considering the
        > excellent track
        > records of their other canister filters.
        >
        > Lennart
        > Norrkoping Sweden
        >

        > Michelle wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Gang,
        > >
        > > I'm planning on ordering the Eheim ECCO 2231 from
        > PetWarehouse and I've got
        > > a few questions ...
        > >
        > > 1.) Is this the best filter for my 20 gallon long
        > planted tank? This filter
        > > is rated for up to 35 gallons. The next size is
        > up to 60 but I think that
        > > would be over-kill, right?
        > > 2.) The filter's description says that it includes
        > "filter pads" but does it
        > > include the ceramic bits and pieces too?
        > > 3.) If it doesn't come with it, what would be best
        > to put in it?
        > >
        > > Gotta go change the Flourite water ... again!!
        > I'm glad I'm rinsing it,
        > > that stuff's a mess :�
        > >
        > > Michelle, LMD in Honolulu, HI
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UniQuaria
        > > http://www.geocities.com/rr1fish
        > >
        > > Too much mail, too little time?
        > > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25
        > messages in a single mail.
        > > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if
        > you do, send a message to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====
        Cheers

        Alfred in Sunny Singapore (actually it's raining cats and dogs at this time of the year!)

        www.geocities.com/alfredkwheng/plantedtanks.html

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Lennart Eden
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          Hi Alfred,

          I´ve got a 17 gallon aquaterrarium with approximately 10 gallons
          of water filtered by an Eheim 2224. The filter is rated at 184
          gallon/hour. The tank is fully planted and the plants are growing
          like crazy. 36 W of fluorescent light and no CO2 addition. I
          started this tank with a smaller filter (trying to save a buck)
          but was unable to keep it stable. Recurring problems with BGA
          (Blue Green Algae (bacteria)), BBA (Black Brush (or Beard) Algae),
          thread algae, slow and stunted plant growth, rotting plants, low
          oxygen levels etc. etc. made me throw out the small, cheap filter
          and install the 2224. Haven´t had any problems since apart from
          the struggle to get rid of the thread algae. I just took a peek at
          the tank and was unable to find any traces of the thread algae.
          All I found was three small tufts of BBA around the base of a root
          where water circulation is minimal. The plants desperately needs a
          trimming, though! I´ve branched the filter outlet in two in order
          to reduce the speed of the water as I was worried that the current
          would be too strong for the four small salamanders that inhabit
          the tank with an unknown number of Guppies and fry (food for the
          salamanders), three small SAE´s and four otos. Now, seeing how the
          dense plant growth reduces flow, I don´t think I should have bothered.

          Lennart
          Norrkoping Sweden

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2001
            Hi Michelle,

            In a planted tank with good growth you don´t really need much
            biological filtration so I would recommend using any mechanical
            filtering media that is fairly cheap, available and doesn´t
            restrict flow to much. Some Efimech at the bottom of the first
            (lower) basket and an extra blue filter pad in the second basket
            would do fine.

            Lennart
            Norrkoping Sweden