Re: Help...Fish Deaths

  • maja@krugerhy.dynagen.co.za
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi Lennart,
      This is the only tank of my 10 that has this problem, so I don't
      think it is some toxin in the water. I did more frequent small water
      changes and that didn't seem to help. I tested pH, Nitrite, Nitrate,
      Ammonia, GH, KH and Fe and all tested fine. The kits are all
      relatively new and give different results on different tanks, so I
      assume they are still OK. As for dead fish...I count the fish on a
      daily basis, especially since this problem started, and immediately
      look for a corpse if one is missing. Thanks for the input though.
      I am more inclined that Paul (who posted an answer yesterday) is
      correct and that I have piscian TB in this tank. Will be trying anti-
      biotics next.
      Thanks for taking the time to post an answer.
      Maja

      Maja Kruger-Haye, Cape Town, South Africa
      maja@...
      http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5302
    • Lennart Eden
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi Maja,

        Piscine TB is, of course, a possibility. It is a widespread
        pathogen. It does however, IME, seldom manifest itself with
        massive die off, unless there is another stress inducing factor
        present. Please, donĀ“t ever treat with antibiotics until you have
        made a positive diagnosis. There is a very real danger of breeding
        resistant strains of bacteria. Consider making a dissection on a
        dead fish first. I know this is gross, but there is no other way
        to be sure. Tuberculosis can be, macroscopically I think,
        identified by the presence of mycobacterial cysts in the internal
        organs of the fish. Unfortunately, if this is indeed TB,
        antibiotics are not effective and should not be used.

        Lennart
        Norrkoping Sweden

        maja@... wrote:

        > Hi Lennart,
        > This is the only tank of my 10 that has this problem, so I don't
        > think it is some toxin in the water. I did more frequent small water
        > changes and that didn't seem to help. I tested pH, Nitrite, Nitrate,
        > Ammonia, GH, KH and Fe and all tested fine. The kits are all
        > relatively new and give different results on different tanks, so I
        > assume they are still OK. As for dead fish...I count the fish on a
        > daily basis, especially since this problem started, and immediately
        > look for a corpse if one is missing. Thanks for the input though.
        > I am more inclined that Paul (who posted an answer yesterday) is
        > correct and that I have piscian TB in this tank. Will be trying anti-
        > biotics next.
        > Thanks for taking the time to post an answer.
        > Maja
        >

        > Maja Kruger-Haye, Cape Town, South Africa
        > maja@...
        > http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5302
        >

        > Too much mail, too little time?
        > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
        > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:
      • Tony.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
          MAJA, I would get professional, veterinary advice on this one. It is
          definitely not peanuts.
          Sorry to butt in ..

          Here's a ref ..

          Mycobacteriosis
          Fish tuberculosis or mycobacteriosis is also a common disease. The agent,
          Mycobacterium marinum, is a rod-shaped, gram positive, non-motile,
          non-spore-forming bacterium1. Fish are infected by ingesting the bacteria in
          unpasteurized food or through abrasions in the skin. Snails often harbor the
          bacteria.
          Symptoms of Mycobacteriosis:
          listlessness; the fish may isolate itself from other fish and refuse to eat
          emaciation; hence, the name "skinny"
          skin ulcers
          spinal curvature
          pigment change
          grey-white nodules in internal organs
          Definitive diagnosis should be made by a pathology lab. There is no known
          effective antibiotic to treat mycobacteriosis. Some level of disease control
          can be obtained by eliminating sick fish, by sterilizing tanks routinely and
          all equipment that comes in contact with the fish or the tank water, and by
          reducing stress caused by moving fish between tanks or by changes in
          temperature, water flow, or feeding regimen.
          A word of caution regarding fish tuberculosis: Some cases of transfer of
          fish tuberculosis to humans has been documented. Precautions should be taken
          by wearing disposable gloves and washing hands with betadine (providone
          iodine) when handling sick fish. Persons with immuno-deficiency problems
          should not handle fish with TB.

          Other diseases that occur less frequently include raised scales, tumorous
          eyes, and hemorrhages. In these instances, remove the diseased fish as soon
          as they are seen and clean the tank.

          Reference: Post, G. (1987) Textbook of Fish Health, T.F.H. Publications,
          Neptune City, NJ, pp. 228.

          Tony.