Re: [UniQuaria] Re: FW Shrimp

  • Tom Bates
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
      Maja;

      You can supplement it with algae wafers or any other vegetable based food.
      You can also use fresh vegetables (washed in plain water first of course). A
      partial list of vegetables is Cucumber, Zucchini, Squash, Lettuce, Peas
      (outer skin removed), etc. After one day remove any uneaten portions to
      prevent the water from fouling.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uniquaria
      http://www.geocities.com/rr1fish

    • maja@krugerhy.dynagen.co.za
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
        Thanks for the ID Tom. What should I feed when it runs out of algae?
        Between my Otos and now the shrimp I need to start cultivating
        algae...never thought I'd say that! Actually I ended up putting the
        shrimp in a tank of its own, don't want to take risks with this cute
        critter. Hope my LFS finds more in the next shipment.
        Maja

        Maja Kruger-Haye, Cape Town, South Africa
        maja@...
        http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5302
      • Harrison Perry
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
          Everything you want to know about freshwater ship is at www.thekrib.com/fish/shrimp.html Good luck.
          Harry
          maja@... wrote:Hi,
          To all those that have experience with amano shrimp please help!!! I
          have managed, after years of trying, to obtain 7 FW shrimp. It is
          illegal to sell them in South Africa and those that do come in, slip
          in with fish imports and this is why it has taken so long. I have
          had them for 2 weeks in a 5 gal planted tank by themselves...not
          taking any chances that they might be eaten. I have a gravel
          substrate, rocks and a small piece of bogwood in the tank. The
          heater in the tank is set at 24 degrees celcius, the light is on
          for 12 hours a day and there is no filter in the tank. I have fed
          them once a week with bloodworm and one a week with flake. There is
          algae on the wood (came from one of my other tanks) and I can see
          planaria on the glass as well as other tiny creatures free swimming.
          Am I doing OK or what do I need to change. Any info very welcome, I
          LOVE these creatures and would hate to have anything happen to them.

          TIA
          Maja

          Maja Kruger-Haye, Cape Town, South Africa
          maja@...
          http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5302
        • Bill Barry
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
            Hey group,

            Has anyone had extensive experience with clown
            Loaches? I have 4 small clown loaches, in with flower
            horns for about amonth now, and they seem to be doing
            ok.

            My question specifically is: What and how should I
            feed them? I've tried to drop hikari wafers in there
            and the flower horns seem to pick at it, scaring away
            the clown loaches. When I do see them eat though, is
            eating the left over pieces from the flower horns'
            pellets. Is this sufficient for good growth?

            I've asked many lfs owners and it's a mix bag. Some
            say use the wafers, and some say let them eat
            leftovers because it's what they do. Any suggestions?

            My dojo loach in my goldfish tank is a lot easier.. he
            just comes to the surface and joins the feeding frenzy
            w/ the other goldfishes.

            Bill
          • maja@krugerhy.dynagen.co.za

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                Maja;

                From what I can remember, it sounds like you have all your Shrimp need. I
                used to have some Shrimp URL's bookmarked but they are no longer active.

                I hope Frank Greco sees this and gives his opinion. I know he has kept many
                varieties of Shrimp.

                Tom Bates - Senior LMD
                Allentown, PA USA
                http://www.UniQuaria.com

                > To all those that have experience with amano shrimp please help!!! I
                > have managed, after years of trying, to obtain 7 FW shrimp. It is
                > illegal to sell them in South Africa and those that do come in, slip
                > in with fish imports and this is why it has taken so long. I have
                > had them for 2 weeks in a 5 gal planted tank by themselves...not
                > taking any chances that they might be eaten. I have a gravel
                > substrate, rocks and a small piece of bogwood in the tank. The
                > heater in the tank is set at 24 degrees celcius, the light is on
                > for 12 hours a day and there is no filter in the tank. I have fed
                > them once a week with bloodworm and one a week with flake. There is
                > algae on the wood (came from one of my other tanks) and I can see
                > planaria on the glass as well as other tiny creatures free swimming.
                > Am I doing OK or what do I need to change. Any info very welcome, I
                > LOVE these creatures and would hate to have anything happen to them.
                >
                > TIA
                > Maja
                >
                > Maja Kruger-Haye, Cape Town, South Africa
                > maja@...
                > http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5302

              • Frank M. Greco
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                  << I have fed them once a week with bloodworm and one a week with flake.
                  There is
                  algae on the wood (came from one of my other tanks) and I can see planaria
                  on the glass as well as other tiny creatures free swimming. Am I doing OK
                  or what do I need to change. Any info very welcome, I LOVE these creatures
                  and would hate to have anything happen to them.>>

                  Maja, I would feed them more often, and vary the food a bit more. Amano
                  shrimp are not fussy feeders, and will take anything they can get their
                  claws on. Even finely crushed freeze-dried algae is eaten.
                  I can understand the reason behind banning f/w shrimp, as many species,
                  especially those of genus Macrobrachium, can become real pests if released
                  into areas where they are not normally found. However, I don't see the
                  smaller species being much of a problem as they'd become food for local fish
                  before they had a chance to reproduce. Or so I would think.

                  Frank M. Greco (phrankg@...)
                  Visit http://www.franksaquarium.com
                  The Freshwater Shrimp Farm