Re: [UniQuaria] Salt water tank

  • Newton
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi Carol

      Do you have any idea where I can get pygmy seahorse outside USA? I'm in
      Singapore. If not, is it possible to order and ship them from the States?
      How well will they survived the journey?

      The LFS only have the normal ones which are too big for my tank that I
      intend to set up.

      Many thanks in advance.

      Richard Baey
      In sunny Singapore

      > From: "Carol Keen" <fish2nth@...>
      > Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:46:27 -0600
      > To: <UniQuaria@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [UniQuaria] Salt water tank
      >
      > Dear Ysabol,
      >
      > In my case, pygmy seahorses! :) <G>
      >
      > Carol :)
      > LMD in Al
      > http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/uniquaria
      > http://www.geocities.com/rr1fish
      >

      > Too much mail, too little time?
      > 'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
      > mailto: UniQuaria-digest@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a message to:

    • J.T. Wenting
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
        at least they're not generally served as diner :)

      • Ysabol Ladyhawke

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
            rabbit, cattle, pork, lettuce, chicken (need I go on)?

          • Ysabol Ladyhawke
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
              Lettuce?????
              lol.
              Pork and Cattle normally are not kept as pets. I don't eat pork very much.
              Those little piggies are also not the same kind as the big pigs they
              slaughter. Kind of like my bettas are not like the salmon I eat....I have
              thought about becoming a vegetarian before, but cannot right now due to my
              home situation.

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
                Officially, farm animals are pets. That includes cattle and pigs. In the
                tropics, people eat monkeys, cats and dogs (and I've heard that Arowana and
                piranha are delicatessen in the Amazon region). I may have eaten cat without
                knowing, at one time a lot of cats disappeared in the vicinity of a Chinese
                restaurant I liked to eat. When the restaurant closed the disappearances
                stopped...
                People treat fish much the same way they treat plants. There is now strong
                indication that plants do feel pain, yet they are crudely amputated and
                beheaded with blunt instruments.

                Jeroen T. Wenting
                jwenting@...

                Murphy was wrong, things that can't go wrong will anyway

              • Ysabol Ladyhawke
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Actually, I have always believed that plants CAN feel, but I usually
                  don't discuss it as people look at me like I have two heard :)
                  I try not to eat any meat from any companies who abuse the animals. I
                  may have to think more about becoming a vegetarian.

                  • TygerMoon Foxx
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
                      I'm not sure how this got under the salt water tank subject header...I put
                      it back under the original one.

                      *sighs and feels a bit picked on*

                      I wasn't trying to start a food debate...I'm not a vegetarian and never
                      will be. I worked a farm most of my life before moving out here and was
                      literally on a first name basis with most of the food that crossed my table.

                      Perhaps I should have explained better...it started out as a joke but I DID
                      notice a heightened sensitivity to it since getting my tank. The place we
                      went to seems to serve some odd fish (I didn't know that Oscars were
                      edible, for instance) and you do it sitting in front of the tanks.

                      Maybe I'm just stupid or something but I think that my fish have
                      feelings. I can only imagine how I'd feel if someone sat down to dinner in
                      front of me and started munching on leg of human....the one time I had fish
                      for dinner in the house the entire aquarium stopped its routine and they
                      all gathered in front of the tank and, for lack of a better description,
                      _glared_ at me for the entire length of the meal. I would liken the
                      feeling to going out for a good steak and then the dog _looks_ at you in
                      that manner because he can smell the steak and you didn't bring him any
                      only more intense. The next morning none of them would take food from
                      me. There was nothing wrong with the fish; they were more than ready to
                      take their meal from my husband, who hadn't had any. The entire tank just
                      seemed to radiate "oh, how COULD you?"

                      I wondered if anyone else had ever experienced this type of thing....the
                      fishy emotions in particular, not about the food specifically. Sorry I
                      didn't explain better.

                      Never been guilt tripped by a fish before; I wasn't, prior to this
                      experience, prone to thinking of them as having any feelings.

                      At 03:22 AM 2/1/2001, J.T. Wenting scrawled in my little black Book:
                      >rabbit, cattle, pork, lettuce, chicken (need I go on)?

                      In Light and Shadow,

                      TygerMoon Foxx

                      I am darkness and light, the shadow hunter and king of the sun.
                      My claws hold the earth, my tongue tastes the sky.
                      I am steadfast and strong, compassionate and caring.
                      I am tiger, and my words are pure.
                    • Bob Brinsfield
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
                        Hi,

                        I tend to overfilter so I'm using a hot magnum 250 cannister and a penguin
                        125 bio wheel.

                        > Hi there Bob!
                        >
                        > I work with saltwater as well as my freshwater tanks!
                        >
                        > What filters are you using on that tank? That will be your biggest issue!
                        20
                        > gal is FINE FINE for saltwater. I have done tanks salt as small as one
                        gal,
                        > so don't you worry about the 20 gal size. That is a good saltwater tank
                        size
                        > actually! :)
                        >
                        > What is in the tank now? And what filters are you going to use?
                        > Then I can tell you if you need to tear it down or not.
                        >
                        > Carol :)
                        > LMD in Al

                      • Carol Keen
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 1, 2001
                          Dear Bob,

                          You are all systems go with those filters to change to a saltwater tank! :)
                          Sounds good! I would like to recommend Instant Ocean salt mix, because of
                          all the mixes I have used or tried, they work the best with the livestock.
                          ;)

                          Are you planning to cycle with fish, or with out?

                          Carol :) LMD in AL
                          http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/uniquaria
                          http://www.geocities.com/rr1fish
                          ( And my page if you like to see it:
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~fish2nth/
                        • Bob Brinsfield
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2001
                            Hi,

                            Thanks. I've, made up my mind to tear it all down, clean everything and
                            change the substrate. Instant ocean sea salt is probably what I would use
                            anyway. Its pretty much the only product around here.

                            > Dear Bob,
                            >
                            > You are all systems go with those filters to change to a saltwater tank!
                            :)
                            > Sounds good! I would like to recommend Instant Ocean salt mix, because of
                            > all the mixes I have used or tried, they work the best with the livestock.
                            > ;)
                            >
                            > Are you planning to cycle with fish, or with out?

                            Probably not. I assume the cycle is pretty much the same except checking
                            salinity as well? Thanks again.

                            Bob

                            Garage Action On-Line
                            A local BBS now on the net.

                            System Operators:
                            Bob Brinsfield
                            Mitch Stein

                            (610)583-5296
                            http://www.garact.com

                            Play On-Line Games
                            Download files
                            Read messages <including USEnet>
                            Online chat
                            Advertise Your Product
                          • Carol Keen
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4, 2001
                              Dear Richard,

                              I think I can get pygmies to you in Singapore! I have shipped bettas to
                              Singapore, so I can look into seeing if the seahorses can get to you or not.
                              :)

                              They survive alright, but they have to have a faster transit than the bettas
                              did. They took a week, but they have lungs you know...seahorses are gills
                              only.

                              Carol :)
                            • AuntieFran@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 9, 2002
                                Please don't apologize for asking saltwater questions here!  Some of us -- like me -- hope to make the move to SW in the future and hope to learn from the questions of others!  Good luck with your new adventure!!!

                                Growing old is inevitable . . . growing up is optional!
                              • David Lubowski
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 10, 2002

                                  What on Gods’ Earth is this? There are a few of them attached to rocks in my salt water setup. They eat like Anemones, engulfing their prey with the tentacles… scary things…

                                  Dave

                                  Please don't apologize for asking saltwater questions here!  Some of us -- like me -- hope to make the move to SW in the future and hope to learn from the questions of others!  Good luck with your new adventure!!!

                                  Growing old is inevitable . . . growing up is optional!

                                  Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc. This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at www.highaspirationsinc.com.

                                • Gail Elsey
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 10, 2002
                                    LOL!  You have the dreaded glass anemone--apstatia.  Use a kalkwasser (hot) solution squirted directly on them to get rid of it.  They spread like weeds.
                                    Gail

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 10, 2002
                                      No, those are pests..these are cool!  My E. quad clones
                                      Gail
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 10, 2002
                                        i don't keep SW but i have heard of these pests-- and they are
                                        pests! Go to your local drug store and get a big needle (explain
                                        why, they'll be a lot nicer about it!) and as suggested shoot
                                        something in to them... i've heard just HOT water will work, but i
                                        think something with chemicals would work a bit better...

                                        --- In UniQuaria@y..., Gail Elsey <elseyg@o...> wrote:
                                        > LOL! You have the dreaded glass anemone--apstatia. Use a
                                        kalkwasser (hot) solution squirted directly on them to get rid of
                                        it. They spread like weeds.
                                        > Gail

                                        Service.

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        >

                                        > Need help with your website? Go to the individuals we went to
                                        for www.UniQuaria.com, the expert team at High Aspirations, Inc.
                                        This highly qualified group can do anything and everything to make
                                        your website exceed your expectations. Please visit their website at
                                        www.highaspirationsinc.com.

                                        > Wish to Unsubscribe? I can't imagine why but if you do, send a
                                        message to:

                                        Service.
                                      • AuntieFran@aol.com

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 10, 2002
                                            In a message dated 9/10/02 3:12:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, elseyg@... writes:

                                            No, those are pests..these are cool!

                                            Ignorance is such bliss :)  You're right, Gail . . . yours are cooler!

                                            Growing old is inevitable . . . growing up is optional!