Re: [UniQuaria] Re:Trouble in my pond

  • Niranjan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2001
      Dear kathy and Dave,
      I will do the water changes immediately. I do have
      some potted plants for the fish to hide and I will
      also be adding water lillies as soon as the lfs gets
      them.

      You may recall that I had removed three of the koi
      from the pond and kept them in an aquarium.
      Unforunately, one of them died yesterday and two from
      the pond died at pretty much the same time. Does this
      mean that the koi were already sick when I got them (
      because they are dying no matter where they are ) or
      does it mean that I removed the three from the pond
      too late and the damage had already been done.

      Now I have brought all but one of the koi into an
      aquarium. I have turned out the lights and provided
      lots of hiding places. I couldnt catch that last guy
      and I didnt want to stress him out too much. The ones
      I have in the aquarium have that dorsal fin clamped to
      their bodies and are swimming with a bit of
      difficulty. The same problems that I had mentioned
      earlier. Either the tail or the head seemed too heavy.
      How can I help them? Shall I just wait and see if the
      water in the aquarium does the trick? It didnt for the
      first three.

      Thanks a lot

      Niranjan

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • David Lubowski
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2001
        Niranjan: Pea soup syndrome is when your pond turns into a bowl of pea soup (green and imposible to see into). This happens when there is algae suspended in your water. The cause of this is too many nutrients in the water, and not enough plants to consume it, algae blooms devour these excess nutrients and run out of control. One major mistake is trying to do water changes to eliminate the algae, this just adds fresh nutrients and more space for the algae to grow into. There are several ways to control this, one is adding plants to your pond, in and around so as to create shade and eliminate some of the direct sunlight that feeds the algae, another is to install a filter setup, that will mechanically filter out the algae. "NEVER" go to a UV sterilizer. The problem with these things is they kill the algae and everything suspended in the water by sterilizing the water, operative word being "STERILIZE", kind of like living in a laboratory. If anything where to fall in to the pond with any kind of infection or sickness, your fishe's imune system would be too weak to fight, not being used to work, and your fish may die.

        Don't start thinking "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO NOW????" Once you get past the first few mistakes from inexperience, you're on your way to blisfull enjoyment, trust me.

        Dave
        Venezuela
      • David Lubowski
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2001
          Niranjan: I like Kathy's idea of the very slow water changes if the problem is the water, this way the fish will not be subject to more stress. Remember to still try to identify your problem, having water drawn from a well is good, as long as the water you are drawing isn't contaminated or something. Sometimes water from shallow wells have traces of quemicals that seep through the ground and mix with the water. This could be a factor, check your water still.
          Also, is the water in your aquarium from the same source? you could just be changing the fish from pond to tank, not to different water.

          Dave
          Venezuela
        • Niranjan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2001
            David,
            Its agood thing you told me about the pea soup
            synrome. I think its starting in the pond. So I went
            to the lfs and got more plants. But they still dont
            have the floating ones. Have to wait a little longer.

            Unfortunately, I dont have testing kits. They are
            REALLY expensive here and I have been trying to het
            them when someone went abroad but no one has yet
            managed to get them. But I ve been using the well
            water for the last ten years with my fish and they
            have been ok. I also did the slow water change just
            now. And right now I am waitng.

            Thanks
            Niranjan

            --- David Lubowski <dedosca@...> wrote: >
            Niranjan: I like Kathy's idea of the very slow water
            > changes if the problem is the water, this way the
            > fish will not be subject to more stress. Remember to
            > still try to identify your problem, having water
            > drawn from a well is good, as long as the water you
            > are drawing isn't contaminated or something.
            > Sometimes water from shallow wells have traces of
            > quemicals that seep through the ground and mix with
            > the water. This could be a factor, check your water
            > still.
            > Also, is the water in your aquarium from the same
            > source? you could just be changing the fish from
            > pond to tank, not to different water.
            >
            > Dave
            > Venezuela

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Niranjan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
              David,
              The koi in the aquaium are going from bad to worse.
              How can I save them?

              In the meantime, I went over to another lfs and got
              just one pair of koi. This pair seems quite happy.
              Although they are always together and are quite scared
              of me and I havent seen them come to the surface of
              the water as yet. But I guess as you said, that they
              may even take weeks to settle down. Otherwise they
              look fine.

              The pea soup syndrome is intensifying just a bit. How
              many plants would be ideal for this pond?

              Thanks a lot,
              Niranjan

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • David Lubowski
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 4, 2001
                Niranjan:
                About the fish, I don't know what else to tell you other than suspect the
                LFS. If you've had fish in water from your current water source not have any
                problems, as well as fish from a diferent LFS happy in the same water as the
                sick guys, it would be a good choice.

                It may sound crazy, but is there any way you can cover the pond so that no
                direct sunlight hits it?
                The amount of plants you need will be dictated by the amount of direct
                sunlight it receives, more sun = more plants, it's a simple equation.
                Remember that sunlight activates algae bloom, the plants will create shaded
                areas, plants also compete for nutrients in the water with the algae, so if
                there is less food for algae there will be less of it.

                Dave
                Venezuela

                The koi in the aquaium are going from bad to worse.
                How can I save them?

                In the meantime, I went over to another lfs and got
                just one pair of koi. This pair seems quite happy.
                Although they are always together and are quite scared
                of me and I havent seen them come to the surface of
                the water as yet. But I guess as you said, that they
                may even take weeks to settle down. Otherwise they
                look fine.

                The pea soup syndrome is intensifying just a bit. How
                many plants would be ideal for this pond?

                Thanks a lot,
                Niranjan

                http://photos.yahoo.com/

                eGroups Sponsor

                Too much mail, too little time?
                'Digest version' allows you to receive up to 25 messages in a single mail.
                mailto: UniQuaria-digest@...

              • Niranjan
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 9, 2001
                  Hi Dave,
                  Sorry I took so long to reply.
                  Well it looks like the koi are doing fine. Except they
                  are still afraid of me. Everytime I go to the corner
                  they are at, they flee.

                  The green in the water had reduced and then I did a
                  small water change, it increased again and then fell.
                  There is almost no direct sunlight on the pond. There
                  are trees here which do a good job of giving me shade.
                  I also increased the number of plants. I still havent
                  been able to get floating plants. Will get them in a
                  few days. but the water still isnt as clear as it was
                  when I first filled up the pond. Its a light green.
                  Does that mean add more plants or is that as clear as
                  it gets?

                  Otherwise, everything seems to be fine. Thanks a lot
                  for the help.

                  And one more thing. If the plants and the algae are
                  competing for nutrients in the water, do the fish also
                  compete?

                  Niranjan

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • David Lubowski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 9, 2001
                    Hey Niranjan: long time, that good news you have. Don't worry too much about the green water, let it cycle completely. If you get a a chance, take a look at this link ( http://www.swedesdock.com/pondlink.sht ) it's a great site. There are pages there for "do-it-yourself" proyects, look for a filter there that uses a 55 gal. drum, it works wonders removing green water.

                    Dave
                    Venezuela

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 9, 2001
                      David,
                      Thanks for posting the great pond links!! I have been wanting such a
                      list for years! I know they will be helpful for Niranjan too.
                      *******
                      Niranjan,
                      I am glad you pond is coming along and David can help you with it. I
                      have been following the thread and am pleased to hear the results. I
                      feel that patience is a great thing in the starting up of a tank or
                      pond. It takes time for everything to stablize. Keep up the good
                      work. IMO that the plants will take up the nutrients that the algae is
                      living on now when the balance is achieved. Check out some of these
                      links that Dave sent. I am going to do that in a few days.
                      Best wishes.
                      Lois,LMD
                      Salem,Ohio,USA

                    • Niranjan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 13, 2001
                        Dave,
                        Another late reply.(got sick this time) and more good
                        news. The water has become crystal clear in the pond.
                        I will check out that site in a bit. Thanks so much
                        for all the help.
                        Niranjan
                        --- David Lubowski <dedosca@...> wrote: > Hey

                        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Niranjan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 13, 2001

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 13, 2001
                            Thanks Lois,
                            I am going to check out the site which Dave
                            recommended right now.
                            Niranjan
                            --- Biglo@... wrote: > David,