Re: Mystery Snails

  • Irishfidlr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
      Jo, that's an explanation that I'll have to give quite a bit of consideration
      to before I got buy one of those little fellows!! lol

      Bonnie

      In a message dated 11/30/00 10:04:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      UniQuaria@egroups.com writes:

      << I like 'Mystery' Snails - I think the nickname
      grew from mystery of whether the snail
      is alive. Sometimes they just close their
      trap doors and don't move. For a long
      time. Is the snail alive? Or dead and
      decaying and slowling polluting the tank? >>
    • Wilma Duncan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2003
        Brian, pet shops do not know the difference in mystery and apple and most sell apple snails which destroy ever plant in a tank. See my web site to see the true mystery snails. There is one apple snail which does not destroy plants but is not often seen in the  trade.
        Wilma
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 19, 2003
          Hi all
            Could someone please advise. Are the yellow or golden snails that the pet shops sell as golden mystery snails really mystery snails or are they applesnails. I purchased three and they are destroying my plants. The tank is full of algae and the regular mystery snails are not bothering the plants. The shop that had these had the apple snails in a seperate tank. Thanks in advance.  Brian
        • brian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 19, 2003
            Thank you Wilma. Did not know you had such a interesting site. If I lived in the US I would be ordering some of the Albino and Nerites. These so called Golden Mystery snails I have look like yours but are eating my grove of Java Fern. Other plants are not bothered that much. They do consume a lot of algae though. Probably Apple's. Again Thanks Brian
[...]

          • WCB
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 19, 2003
              As I understand it the Apple snail has a tube called a siphon tube that allows them to breath while submerged .. a site I found useful as well as Wilma's is http://www.applesnail.net/ they go quite in depth with anatomy ..hope this will help.

              Bill
            • brian
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 19, 2003
                Great site. Thanks to you and Wilma. Brian  :)
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
                  Well sometime ago I wrote to the list about having several clutches of eggs laid and being totally lost asked questions here ..So I thought I'd send a pic of some of them ...7 clutches 75 or so have grown into pea to grape size thus far.
                  They are more purpleish then the pic shows but you get the idea.

                  Bill
                • GramFran413@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
                    I'm impressed, Bill!  You must be doing something right <G>

                    Growing old is inevitable; growing UP is optioinal.