Re: [UniQuaria] pregnant?mollies

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      They are
      : dalmation sailfin mollies. How long is the gestation period, is it longer
      : than swordtails?
      : Thanks for the help,
      : Rea

      Its about 28-30 days for sailfins

      .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.

      Michelle
      http://dive.to/seahorses

      .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.
    • Cathy Smitham
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
        Rea

        I had a dalmation mollie have babies last month. I had had her for almost
        two months before I realized that she was getting really big! I could never
        see the gravid spot on her, nor see any babies in her like I could with the
        platties I have. Anyways, she had 71 babies. Most of which have survived.
        I would guess that their gestation is a little longer than the platties
        which is about 28 days or so. (mine have always been a bit longer than
        that...more like 35) When I got the dalmation, there were no males in the
        tank...so if she had mated, it was before I got her. Anyways, hope that
        helps a little.

        Cathy
      • flake
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
          How do you manage to count tiny fry that are moving around all the
          time ? I had a large pond and had just 10 golden orfe in it -
          roll-call could take me ages. It would be like "1, 2, 3, no hang on,
          you just moved, oh and you, stay still and let's start again - 1, 2,
          3 - STOP MOVING ... 1, 2, 3, 4 - OK, if you can't stop swimming,
          please swim in tidy groups for a minute ..." :o)

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
            LOL...I know the feeling! I waited a couple of days after they were born in
            the fry trap thing and then I moved them over to another tank. So as I
            transfered them in the nets, I counted, and had my daughter add it all
            up..(math lesson!) Then 3 days later we had a batch of 30 platties. You
            should have seen the tank...it was a mass of moving babies!

            Cathy

            > How do you manage to count tiny fry that are moving around all the
            > time ? I had a large pond and had just 10 golden orfe in it -
            > roll-call could take me ages. It would be like "1, 2, 3, no hang on,
            > you just moved, oh and you, stay still and let's start again - 1, 2,
            > 3 - STOP MOVING ... 1, 2, 3, 4 - OK, if you can't stop swimming,
            > please swim in tidy groups for a minute ..." :o)
          • K.L.Kirkland
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
              Well I counted my swordtails when they were in the breeding trap, but we
              went out to buy a fry tank and we came home and all but 5 had gotten out of
              the trap into the community tank, so we caught them (with a new turkey
              baster) I did not want to net them afraid it would be to much stress, so we
              just kept adding them up as we caught them.
              I hope I still have all of them, I found a mollie I had put in the breeding
              trap jumped out of the trap over the partition and was in with the baby
              swords, I didn't realize they could hide that well they were in the rocks,
              as far as I can tell I still have the majority if not all of them.The
              breeding trap now has a lid on it.
              Rea
              Waiting for babies in oklahoma