pregnant?mollies

  • K.L.Kirkland
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi all,
      I have some pregnant mollies (I think they are pregnant) they look like it
      anyway. I can't see a gravid spot on them so I am going on size. They are
      dalmation sailfin mollies. How long is the gestation period, is it longer
      than swordtails?
      Thanks for the help,
      Rea
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
        They are
        : dalmation sailfin mollies. How long is the gestation period, is it longer
        : than swordtails?
        : Thanks for the help,
        : Rea

        Its about 28-30 days for sailfins

        .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.

        Michelle
        http://dive.to/seahorses

        .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.
      • Cathy Smitham
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
          Rea

          I had a dalmation mollie have babies last month. I had had her for almost
          two months before I realized that she was getting really big! I could never
          see the gravid spot on her, nor see any babies in her like I could with the
          platties I have. Anyways, she had 71 babies. Most of which have survived.
          I would guess that their gestation is a little longer than the platties
          which is about 28 days or so. (mine have always been a bit longer than
          that...more like 35) When I got the dalmation, there were no males in the
          tank...so if she had mated, it was before I got her. Anyways, hope that
          helps a little.

          Cathy
        • flake
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
            How do you manage to count tiny fry that are moving around all the
            time ? I had a large pond and had just 10 golden orfe in it -
            roll-call could take me ages. It would be like "1, 2, 3, no hang on,
            you just moved, oh and you, stay still and let's start again - 1, 2,
            3 - STOP MOVING ... 1, 2, 3, 4 - OK, if you can't stop swimming,
            please swim in tidy groups for a minute ..." :o)

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
              LOL...I know the feeling! I waited a couple of days after they were born in
              the fry trap thing and then I moved them over to another tank. So as I
              transfered them in the nets, I counted, and had my daughter add it all
              up..(math lesson!) Then 3 days later we had a batch of 30 platties. You
              should have seen the tank...it was a mass of moving babies!

              Cathy

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
                Well I counted my swordtails when they were in the breeding trap, but we
                went out to buy a fry tank and we came home and all but 5 had gotten out of
                the trap into the community tank, so we caught them (with a new turkey
                baster) I did not want to net them afraid it would be to much stress, so we
                just kept adding them up as we caught them.
                I hope I still have all of them, I found a mollie I had put in the breeding
                trap jumped out of the trap over the partition and was in with the baby
                swords, I didn't realize they could hide that well they were in the rocks,
                as far as I can tell I still have the majority if not all of them.The
                breeding trap now has a lid on it.
                Rea
                Waiting for babies in oklahoma