Re: [UniQuaria] proposed set-up - sanity check ?

  • flake
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
      Wow - thanks all !

      General consensus seems to be corys would be better with a betta,
      forget the forktail rainbow fish and I'm ok with no algae eaters (as
      long as I clean the glass myself).

      Decision made, or so I thought - I was all happy with getting a betta
      and seeing how he, and the set-up, looks, then maybe leaving it at
      that or adding 3 corys. Then Dana comes along and suggest dwarf
      cichlids ! And I loved the African, hard water ones but they all
      seemed way too big for a 10 gallon. Now you tell me there are small
      ones that like hard water ? Back to more research ! Presumably you'd
      go for one male, one female (same species) in a 10 gallon ? Can you
      throw me some names of the 'shell-dwellers' you think might be ok for
      a complete beginner ? Excellent.

      Meanwhile Robert, you said bettas optimum environment was still
      water - hopefully the internal filter (Eheim 2006) is ok ? Turnover
      rate is listed as 50-180 litres per hour and that "the pump output is
      adjustable to the tank size". So as this is a 39 litre tank and I
      want quiet water, I'd turn it down to it's lowest output - would that
      flow seem reasonable ?

      The 'general aquarium tube' I originally referred to meant the
      lighting tube - i.e. nothing strong or fancy (coz no real plants in
      this tank).

      So apart from the filter (and fish), I'm off to spend money - oh happy
      day (feel free to join in the chorus) !

      Thanks again for all your time - love this list - looking forward to
      when I have some experience to pass on :o) All the best, Diane
      (who's now mumbling betta or cichlid, betta or cichlid ...)
    • Rachel Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
        On 31 Oct 2000, at 20:58, Bekah C. wrote:

        > Red-tailed black sharks(labeo bicolor) are not good community tank fish.
        > They get too big and too antisocial. The ones at the LFS are always chasing

        This should be fun then as I've got one. Personally, I think that
        they're great. The last one i has grew to about 4" long, and from
        what I could see didn't bother the other fish. I've got a big tank
        though so lots of places for other fish to hide :o)

        Rachel
        Guernsey, Channel Islands
      • Da Beeb
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hi diane - check out George Reclos' website on Africans -

          http://www.rddiagnostics.com/aquarium/fish_list.html

          scroll down to the Tanganyika section - it lists the Shell-Dwellers by their
          latin names:
          Neolamprologus brevis is one but there are others if you look around, and
          George has a great list of links to other web sites. George is also very
          thorough about listing the species' needs - If nothing else, email George
          and he can help you or direct you. I know there were some on the
          African-Chichlids list I got that were keeping a pair in just a 10 gallon
          tank and they spawned just fine, and they arent as territorial as most of
          the Mbuna or the "rock dwellers".- Dana
          Then Dana comes along and suggest dwarf
          cichlids ! And I loved the African, hard water ones but they all
          seemed way too big for a 10 gallon. Now you tell me there are small
          ones that like hard water ? Back to more research ! Presumably you'd
          go for one male, one female (same species) in a 10 gallon ? Can you
          throw me some names of the 'shell-dwellers' you think might be ok for
          a complete beginner ? Excellent.
        • Robert Hawkey
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
            Hi Diane,

            Well, if you're going to have a filter at all you might as well turn it
            up full blast. Just put it off to one side so the betta can go to the
            other side to escape the flow if he is bothered by it.

            What I meant was that he would prefer there to be no filter. I have
            mine in a 5 gallon acryllic bowl with floating plants. Every 4 days I
            use a big cup to scoop him out and I put the plants in a bowl of water
            and then I completely dump his tank, wash it out with water and a cloth,
            and fill it back up with treated water. By doing this he doesn't need
            filtration so the tank can be nice and still for him.

            Robert

            > Meanwhile Robert, you said bettas optimum environment was still
            > water - hopefully the internal filter (Eheim 2006) is ok ? Turnover
            > rate is listed as 50-180 litres per hour and that "the pump output is
            > adjustable to the tank size". So as this is a 39 litre tank and I
            > want quiet water, I'd turn it down to it's lowest output - would that
            > flow seem reasonable ?
          • flake
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2000
              Dana, many thanks for the site suggestion - good resource which I've
              page-marked. But why did George have to put a great tank set-up for
              bettas in there too !

              Looked at the shell-dwellers at the LFS - cute. They also had some
              huge old barnacle shells I could use a decoration and the fish could
              use as homes. So I'm still trying to decide. Both options appeal.
              Think I'll have to toss a coin - heads it betta, tails its cichlids
              ... or maybe have two tanks :o)