Re: decaying stuff

  • hugo@pondlibrary.org
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      Hi Tom,

      > Aren't most fish foods made of some sort of animal or vegetable protein. A

      Mostly animal protein, right.

      > loose interpretation of the term animal means a living organism. Plants
      > could fall within this description after all they breathe, eat, drink and

      No, I am sure there is a big difference between animal and vegetable
      protein. Can't explain this properly though, will leave this to Tim, Tony
      or Bob or anyone else who's better in chemistry than me. :)

      > grow. Since plants are rapid users of nitrogen I would think you could find
      > nitrogen within the plant tissues and fibers. When this breaks down and
      > decomposes, the nitrogen is probably combined with the hydrogen ions in
      > water and it creates NH3 (ammonia) or NH4 (ammonium) depending on the pH of
      > the water.
      >
      > I too would be interested in someone conducting an experiment like you
      > described and learning the results.

      I am too busy right now, but do we have any volunteers ;)
      Fill a bucket with water and some old rotting leaves or vegetation and
      measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day or 2.

      Regards,

      Hugo * LMD
    • hugo@pondlibrary.org
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2000
        Hello Tom,

        > For an accurate test we would have to start measuring from day 1. I think
        > any ammonia that may have been detected has long since vanished due to the
        > time frame you reported. I would think for an accurate test we would need
        > one tank with some sort of plant clippings/leaves and another tank where
        > fish food was added to allow it to decompose. Regular testing for ammonia
        > would then have to be done.

        How could the ammonia have 'vanished' if there was any? If it was processed
        by nitrifying bacteria it should have registered as nitrate by now. I agree
        that this is not an accurate test but I'm sure if there were only leaves in
        that tank there was not any ammonia to begin with. Maybe you could post a
        message on the APD Tom to have them scientists explain why you can't cycle a
        tank with vegetable matter?

        Regards,

        Hugo * LMD