Re: nitrification

  • hugo@pondlibrary.org
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Hi Ray,

      >>> You are correct that plants cannot process the Nitrogen from Nitrite. Plants
      >>> can use Ammonia (um) and Nitrate to obtain their Nitrogen and between them
      >>> Ammonium is the Nitrogen compound that plants prefer.>>

      > I forgot that plants could not process nitrite. Ok so if they can not directly
      > process the it, do they facilitate the process. I mean do they help in any way
      > in the converting nitrite to a more useable form.

      > Hey Hugo,

      >>> Decaying plants are mostly broken down into nitrate and phosphates. Indeed
      >>> no ammonia/um though, so I don't see how this would actually help the
      >>> nitrification process.?>>

      > So are you saying that you do not believe that plants help in the
      > nitrification process?

      Right. Plants and nitrifying bacteria are competitors. WIth the right
      growing conditions plants will actually /break/ the cycling process by using
      all the ammonium before the bacteria can. So how can they help the
      nitrification process? I believe you mean help the cycling process. This is
      of course true, in a planted tank the ammonia/nitrite spikes will be nowhere
      as high as in a non planted tank, if there even /are/ spikes (depending on
      the conditions).

      Regards,

      Hugo * LMD