Re: [UniQuaria] clown Loaches dying

  • Broken Tiger
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      Funny you shuld mention it. I have on loach who stays thin as paper...I
      can see right thru him. Today he seemed to have ich on the head and was
      really weak, probably won't make it. I am treating for ich but not
      holding my breath.

      A loach savvy friend tells me that the fish could have internal
      parasites. It has seemed healthy but very very thin until now.

      She also said the the not quite ich spots that I could not get rid of
      and that he died with sound like somethign she has heard of as baffleing
      a fish scientist recently, so ther is alot to loaches we just don't have
      a clue about.

      What to do about internal parasites? In gf I have had good luck wiht
      pranziquental (not sure of the spelling, but it is Droncit, a wormer for
      dogs adn cats) from the vet in the case of ID'd parasites. How the heck
      do you ID an internal parasite in a baby loach, anyway?

      As far as the price goes, depends on hwere you live I guess. Here that
      would be very high. I have seen loaches as low as 99 cents (yup, less
      than a dollar for clown loaches) but they were well under an inch and
      you could figure on losing at least half. Usually I see the 1 in ch size
      about three to five dollars.

      troi

      Sue wrote:

      > About1 1/2 in. for $8. I don't know if this is a fair price or not
      > but.....they have ich right now and are being treated. I looked them up on
      > Loaches on Line and under FAQs it had some articles that suggest clowns are
      > susceptible to internal parasites which causes wasting and death. Has anyone
      > had this problem ?
      > Sue
    • Lois Pandya
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        Sue,
        Don't buy the clowns from that store! First the price is way too high and
        second the small guys will be weak. Please try to wait to you find some nice
        fat, well ones because they are quite fragile to begin with at the small size.
        Yes, I have had the wasting away problem with the babies.
        Lois
        Salem,Ohio
        USA