Re: Sick/Dieing betta!! :(

  • Tony.
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
      Are you cleaning out the betta water Every day, Becs ?
      It's just as bad to overdo it as it is to miss out on doing it often enough. In
      a decent (even 1 gal.) tank you need to clean out at most every 3-4 days. A 100
      % water change every day is not something one likes to do; because for a start
      no tapwater is constant in it's composition, so that you end up creating daily
      stress for your fish; not to mention that a fresh load of water will carry in a
      fresh load of bugs (despite the added chlorine) among which are the dreaded ick,
      and a host of pathogenic bacteria; any or either of which may have killed your
      fish ..
      Sorry to hear about your loss; very.

      Tony.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
        Dear Becs,

        Got you! FUNGUS! That happens to some bettas. :(

        Now, what you can do. The Next betta you see that you want, you take him
        home and start him on anit-fungal meds. The Blue I told you about works.
        Quick Cure will not. You can also use Betta Max. That was made for betta
        problems.

        After you get the new fish though treatment, you should have a happy healthy
        betta that lives with you quite some time!

        Carol :)
      • Becs
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
          Hey Tony,
          >Are you cleaning out the betta water Every day, Becs ?

          My betta is in a 1/2 gallon (I think) goldfish bowl and I clean his water
          about 1/2 out every day and I fill it with fresh water (when I say fresh I
          mean its been sitting out a day or so). I've found that if I don't do this
          the water gets really gross, even if I miss just one day and if I miss too
          many days or if I feed the fish too much one day they start getting sluggish
          and get cottony stuff on them. Does this happen with anyone else's
          fish/water? Or is it just a good Old Big Orange Knoxville thing???
          (Should I mention that my betta has no filter or anything in the bowl with
          him, its just temporary until I get my living conditions situtated this
          summer.)

          >It's just as bad to overdo it as it is to miss out on doing it often
          >enough. In
          >a decent (even 1 gal.) tank you need to clean out at most every 3-4 days. A
          >100
          >% water change every day is not something one likes to do; because >for a
          >start

          I don't do 100% I learned my lesson with my first poor betta, I used to
          clean his bowl totally out every week or so...poor guy...

          >no tapwater is constant in it's composition, so that you end up creating
          >daily
          >stress for your fish; not to mention that a fresh load of water will carry
          >in a
          >fresh load of bugs (despite the added chlorine) among which are the dreaded
          >ick,
          >and a host of pathogenic bacteria; any or either of which may have killed
          >your
          >fish ..
          >Sorry to hear about your loss; very.
          >
          >Tony.

          Thanks for the information Tony :) And thank you for the kindness about my
          fishy, I'm really glad I have friends that know how much these fish
          acctually mean to me.
          Becs
          TN USA
          *Knoxville: where the orange ball doesn't go down with the sun*

        • Becs
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2000
            Thanks carol I'm gonna save this email somewhere so I wont loose it.
            Right now I shouldn't get any more fish but who knows those beauties just
            call to me from the shelves.
            Becs
            TN USA
            *Knoxville: Where the big orange ball doesn't go down with the sun.*

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2000
              Oh, becs, i am so sorry about poor Louis :( . It may be as you said and he
              was still weakened by the nitrite poisoning. Or he could have been old, no
              telling how old he was when you bought him. Again, Im sorry.
              carli LMD
              TN USA