Happy New Year everyone and ph mystery solved

  • TiggyTabi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2000
      I added spring water and phdown and the ph shot back up. I took down the
      tank, replaced the gravel with natural gravel (which I should have used in
      the first place!) and replaced all the water. I rinsed and put back in all
      my living plants and bubble wands. I put my fish back in, I hope I don't
      lose any but when the tap is 7.5 and the tank stays at 8.9, something is
      wrong. I will monitor the nitrates, nitrite and ammonia for 3 months, and no
      water changes unless absolutely necessary. I will be feeding once a day for
      a week. Happy New Year everyone!!!
    • d3dd@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2000
        TIGGY, my first reply to you wandered
        and got attached to another message-

        Anyway, now that you have new
        gravel, we can watch your experiment
        with the PH/

        What kind of fish do you have?
        How many?
        Are you using the same
        filter with all it's bacteria?

        Joanna, LMD
        Ks US
      • TiggyTabi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2000
          Stripped tank. All new gravel natural. Washed tank with tap water, paper
          towel. Put back only the living plants anf fish, clown fish, Angels, neons.
          Same filter 2 fluvals, 404 304. Unplugged 2 power filters. Unplugged bubble
          wands. Replaced all water witer with 7.5 tap water. PH reading? 8.5
          again!!!! I will be calling Fluval Monday I have the MSF filters, carbon and
          ammonia carb in filter. I cannot imagine that is it. Will place a plant in
          a bowl of water and test. Could it be my biological filter did not have
          enough fish for a 75 gal tank to get really established? When I stripped my
          tank the water was crystal clear. GENA