Re: New to list - Brackish list?

  • Tom Bates
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
      Melody;

      First, let me welcome you to our list. I'm sure you will find UniQuaria
      informative, fun and extremely active (hopefully not too active for your
      likes). On a good day you can expect to see over 100 posts.

      Brackish water is defined as any water with a measurable salt content. Some
      fish require stronger concentrations of salt than most tropical fish. Among
      them are Scats, Monos, Puffers, Gobies, Archers, Glassfish, Mudskippers,
      Killifish and Halfbeaks. The general recipe for "brackish" water is one
      gallon of seawater to ten gallons of freshwater. I have kept the majority of
      the fish I listed and enjoyed them tremendously. When water conditions and
      feeding are kept to their liking, their coloration is stunning.

      Should you have any specific questions, please ask away.

      Tom Bates - Senior LMD
      Allentown, PA USA

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
        Hi Tom, Brandon & all,

        Thanks for the welcome!

        Do you know of any books on brackish fish, or websites? Initially I'm
        looking for a list of fish that are good in brackish water, and
        compatibilities between fish.

        The tank I'll probably convert has a Chinese algae-eater, a red-tailed
        shark, a couple of ancient cardinal tetras, and a swordfish. Are any of
        these good in brackish water?

        Thanks,
        Melody

        Tom Bates wrote:

        > From: "Tom Bates" <fish2r@...>
        >
        > Melody;
        >
        > First, let me welcome you to our list. I'm sure you will find UniQuaria
        > informative, fun and extremely active (hopefully not too active for your
        > likes). On a good day you can expect to see over 100 posts.
        >
        > Brackish water is defined as any water with a measurable salt content. Some
        > fish require stronger concentrations of salt than most tropical fish. Among
        > them are Scats, Monos, Puffers, Gobies, Archers, Glassfish, Mudskippers,
        > Killifish and Halfbeaks. The general recipe for "brackish" water is one
        > gallon of seawater to ten gallons of freshwater. I have kept the majority of
        > the fish I listed and enjoyed them tremendously. When water conditions and
        > feeding are kept to their liking, their coloration is stunning.
        >
        > Should you have any specific questions, please ask away.
        >
        > Tom Bates - Senior LMD
        > Allentown, PA USA

      • Tom Bates
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
          Melody;

          The fish I listed are the common brackish species found at LFS's. There are
          also a few South American Cichlids that live in the estuaries that contain
          brackish water.

          Fish compatibility in a true brackish environment unfortunately works best
          in either very small (20 gallons or less) or very big (over 100 gallons)
          aquarium. The reason for this is many of the fish on the brackish list can
          get quite large so the smaller species (Puffers and Gobies) become
          aggressive to compensate for their size. Mid size tanks (between 20 and 100)
          tend to work best as a species tank.

          For a 20 gallon, I would suggest Bumblebee Gobies, Glassfish and Halfbeaks.
          Scats will get quite large for this size aquarium and Monos will suffer
          unless very frequent water changes are done. In an aquarium over 100 gallons
          you can stock a more varied community as long as numerous rocky hiding
          places are provided for the security of the smaller fish. This will cut down
          on the aggressiveness.

          The fish you currently have, with the possible exception of the Swordtail,
          will not tolerate the large quantities of salt needed for these brackish
          species. They may survive in this, but they won't be happy.

          Tom Bates - Senior LMD
          Allentown, PA USA