questions about list

  • Lisa Giroux
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
      Hi all!

      What are you guys doing right?

      Well, you're answering every question, paying attention to what we need, and
      attempting to be concientious about telling newbies what might be a mistake
      (overpopulating, etc.)

      What could be improved on?

      Well, I also wish that there were not so many entire messages copied to the
      list. It does make things rather long. I know that there is nothing to be
      done about that other than suggesting that people try not to do it.

      One thing I think would be interesting is maybe having a "newbie topic of
      the week" to discuss. Sometimes the simple things that seem so obvious to
      some of you (and I notably did not include myself, as I am still a newbie)
      are not so obvious to people just starting out.

      I would like to throw a question out there, just for fun......how did you
      get started fishkeeping? I would love to hear about what size tank, mishaps
      that occured, fish that you had, etc. That, and why you keep the fish you
      do now.

      I will post mine if you will post yours! :-)

      Lisa G and Vegas
    • Carli613@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
        In a message dated 11/1/99 7:31:51 AM EST, aussiefan@... writes:

        > One thing I think would be interesting is maybe having a "newbie topic of
        > the week" to discuss. Sometimes the simple things that seem so obvious to
        > some of you (and I notably did not include myself, as I am still a newbie)
        > are not so obvious to people just starting out.

        I personally think that is a wonderful idea. I would benefit from something
        like that myself, and I know when I was first starting out it would have been
        a god-send. It is very hard to find very basic information on the
        internet...alot of basic sites don't quite supply enough, IMO.
        Carli LMD
        TN USA
      • stonecreeklock@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
          Lisa, great question!!! " How did you get started fishkeeping? ",
          sounds like the begining of a good thread.....buckle up : )
          July 1962, I turned 7, and soon realized that if I caught baitfish, in
          the meadow streams, that my older cousins would let me tag along
          fishing, in the Juniata River. I kept a number of species of native
          minnows, and chubs, in a screen enclosure, in a dredged hole behind the
          barn. And a fishkeper was born. Venturing farther into the
          surrounding meadows, I discovered a population of Teselated Darters, and
          convinced my Uncle to "lease" me a 6' x 2' x 4' deep concrete watering
          trough, at the far end of one pasture. The trough was constantly fed by
          a sand bottom spring, via a series of bambo pipes, with overflow at the
          other end. Constant water exchange, and just enough turbulence not to
          freeze solid in winter. This is where my first spawning took place, and
          I've been hooked ever since. Joe LMD PA USA
          PS. Thanks for the memories Lisa, now tell us yours.........