AU Trimissis from Helmut's Lot?

  • Carolyn Shearman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      I just posted pictures of the AU(?) coin I got from Helmut
      Schneider's lot in hopes that you guys and gals can confirm what it
      is. The pic's are in the FILES section under MVC-003F and MVC-004F
      and my userid TUCSHEA. The coin is slightly smaller than a dime and
      very thin, probably less than 2 grams. At first I thought the
      obverse was Theodosius but it looks more like a Justinian with the
      legend DNIVSTI visible on the left-hand side. The reverse is a stick
      figure with wings and CONO(B?) in exergue. I checked Wildwinds and I
      think it is a Trimissis denomination, whatever that is. What to you
      think? AU? Thanks for your help. Carolyn
    • G. Thomas Schroer
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        This indeed appears to be a gold tremissis, which was one-third
        of a solidus. The weight should be almost exactly 1.5 grams
        on a fresh specimen. Diameter should be 16 mms (consistent
        with your description that it is slightly smaller than a dime -
        which is 17.9 mms). This coin is either of Justin I (518-527)
        or Justin II (565-578), not Justinian since the obverse legend
        breaks with IVSTI, which is never found on coins of Justinian,
        only on those of the Justins'. Unfortunately I don't think there
        is a good way to figure out whether it is really Justin I or Justin II,
        given what we can see on the coin.
        These coins are often poorly struck, and because they are so
        thin, wavy or bent flans are also not uncommon.
        A very delightful find!!
        Best Regards, Tom Schroer Numus
        http://www.numus.com