Anyone Tried The Canon A 540 For Shooting Coins?

  • Jerry C. Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Has anyone tried the Canon Powershot A 540 for shooting coins? The
      camera gets good reviews but I cannot find anything about the macro.
      If you have the camera will you please share your opinions with me..
      God Bless.. Jerry.. PS: I don't recive posts on here so please e me
      at: jceaus@...
    • joeblazick
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2010
        Yesterday I was verbally attcked on AP auctions as I bid on coins I wanted.Seems this misguided other "old Gent" wants everyone to think I would waste my money bidding on coins only because he was bidding.He still hurts from the incident that happened on this list several years ago when I unmasked him for the person he really is.He pretends to be senile at times to get an advantage as he did with me when I was sellintg lots of uncleaned coins.I will go back and retell of the incident.
        I had coins up fopr sale that werte whole and covered entirely in dirt and at a price of around $1 a coin.He contacted me off list and pleaded for a discount because he was apoor man with limited resourses and so I sold him 40 at $.75 and thought I had done a nice thing.Well a few days after I mailed the coins,I get a email demanding I give him his money back after he had zapped the 40 coins.He accused me of purposely selling him bad coins.any idiot knows that when you zap coins ,you have a good chance of getting pitted coins because of the patina being removed.He had to have zapped them within hours of receiving the coins.I really do not know of any dealer that would give the money back after coins had been cleaned even as harsly as these had.I told him there would be no refund and in reponse ,he told me he would go to the list and accuse me of taking advantage of him.I took this as a threat and so I posted the story too the list and in response ,he emailed me off list and wanted to know why I did that.It would have been ok for him to do it but not for me.This was the start of many off line threats I received and was soon the reason he was removed from the uncleaned coin list.
        I bhid on auctions and as people have seen,if I want a coin price becomes unimportant.His prblem is he is 'cheap" with a capital c and when I outbid him he cries to everyone.If an auction becomes regulated on who can bid on any item ,it becomes no auction at all.Check the auction items I bid on and tell me they are not worth bidding for and I refuse to be stopped from bidding just because he cant win what he obviously feels he has a right to keep me from bidding on.

        Go to his store and look at what heells his coins for and how overgraded they are. I am sure that I will hear from some people accusing me of false accusations nut remember who made the accusation during the AP auction and cried fowl in front of other bidders.
      • Gord T.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2010
          Joe, I seldom take sides in these type discussions.  However, you may recall the last coins I purchased from you, and my concern they were not as advertised.  To refresh you memory, here are images I kept on file: http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/34682.php%c2%a0.%c2%a0 As can be seen, the image the image to the right bears no resemblance to the two to the left, the coins I received from you.

          Gordon

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2010
            All I have to say to you Gordon is that you had a chopice to not clean the coins and then ask for an exchange or a refund but seems I have to lump you along with your buddy Jerry. The fact remains that he was out of line and all you say about a lot of coins you purchased over a year ago cant change the fact that I dont waste money bidding on coins just because he is bidding.I am on SS and only bid when the coins fit my collection.I suppose that if I bid against you on an ASP auction ,you would accuse me of doing it because you thought iwas mad at you.I have sold more coins in 10 years and have only gotten a few complaints and have always be willing to exchange or refund monies on coins returned as received.No dealer that I know who sells would.I have to say about your buddy that first he cries poverty ,gets coins for less than others,Zapps the patina off and then blames me for what is under the dirt.You two deserve each other.I sell coins to a certain
            lady at $.90 a coin and she has nothing but grteat remarks.A few like you and Jerry want your cake and eat it too.I have received bad lots but I accept the risk on coins that have lain in the dirt for centuies and offer no gauarantee what lies under.You have a weird sense of how the outburst of Jerry is tied to your complaint.When y7ou can gaurantee all dirt covered coins are recoverable,get me the sellers name and I will start to but thousands of coins again and wont cry if a lot or so turns out different than I woild like them.

            Joe, I seldom take sides in these type discussions.  However, you may recall the last coins I purchased from you, and my concern they were not as advertised.  To refresh you memory, here are images I kept on file: http://www.tantalus coins.com/ coins/34682. php .  As can be seen, the image the image to the right bears no resemblance to the two to the left, the coins I received from you.

            Gordon

            http://www.flickr com/gift/