List of Cleaning Methods

  • James Marshall
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
      I was thinking today about the various methods for cleaning UC.

      Here is the list I came up with, and it includes a few of the more
      whacky theories I haven't tried. Any I missed?

      Soaking:

      olive oil
      distilled water

      Chemical:

      TSP/CLR
      Lye/caustic soda
      coca-cola
      gringotts mix
      lemon juice and aluminum foil

      Mechanical:

      scalpel/dental picks
      needles
      Fibre brush/pen
      brass brush/pen

      Electical:

      Dremel cleaning tools
      electrolysis
      Ultrasonic cleaner
      rock tumbler

      'Other'

      crockpot(!)
    • Jb
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
        Soaking in Kaboom and also the short lived soakins in Lanolin are two missing from the list.

      • Tony Jaworski
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
          Soaking:

          olive oil
          distilled water
          ****de-ionized water

          Chemical:

          TSP/CLR
          Lye/caustic soda
          coca-cola
          gringotts mix
          lemon juice and aluminum foil
          ****Oxy-Clean
          ****Simply Green
          ****WD-40
          ****Fast Orange (Hand Cleaner)
          ****Rid-X (Septo.bac in Canada)

          Mechanical:

          scalpel/dental picks
          needles
          Fibre brush/pen
          brass brush/pen
          *****Pin Vises (Tungsten, Brass, etc..)

          Electical:

          Dremel cleaning tools
          electrolysis
          Ultrasonic cleaner
          rock tumbler

          'Other'

          crockpot(!)
          ***This is really used with one of the chemical or soaking ideas. So you would have soaking with distilled water, and soaking with distilled water in a crockpot on high. Same with the chemicals Gringgotts and so forth. If my memory is right DO NOT USE LYE with hot water ... I believe that is a bad combo ... but it has been awhile since I messed with it.

        • joeblazick
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
            Some people have also tried hot/cold extremes on crusties as a
            mechanical method .My wife says that I cook them ,I eat them.

            --- In Uncleanedcoins@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jaworski <mnpolock@y...>
            wrote:

            > Soaking:
            >
            > olive oil
            > distilled water
            > ****de-ionized water
            >
            > Chemical:
            >
            > TSP/CLR
            > Lye/caustic soda
            > coca-cola
            > gringotts mix
            > lemon juice and aluminum foil
            > ****Oxy-Clean
            > ****Simply Green
            > ****WD-40
            > ****Fast Orange (Hand Cleaner)
            > ****Rid-X (Septo.bac in Canada)
            >
            > Mechanical:
            >
            > scalpel/dental picks
            > needles
            > Fibre brush/pen
            > brass brush/pen
            > *****Pin Vises (Tungsten, Brass, etc..)
            >
            > Electical:
            >
            > Dremel cleaning tools
            > electrolysis
            > Ultrasonic cleaner
            > rock tumbler
            >
            > 'Other'
            >
            > crockpot(!)
            > ***This is really used with one of the chemical or soaking ideas.
            So you would have soaking with distilled water, and soaking with
            distilled water in a crockpot on high. Same with the chemicals
            Gringgotts and so forth. If my memory is right DO NOT USE LYE with
            hot water ... I believe that is a bad combo ... but it has been
            awhile since I messed with it.

          • Sami Taha
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
              Hi Joe,
              Did you like the taste ??
              Did you receive my August Dealer Offers from the Holy Land " Coins and Antiquities "
              If not please let me know and I will email it to you ....Take Care my friend.
              Sami

              wrote:

              > Soaking:
              >
              > olive oil
              > distilled water
              > ****de-ionized water
              >
              > Chemical:
              >
              > TSP/CLR
              > Lye/caustic soda
              > coca-cola
              > gringotts mix
              > lemon juice and aluminum foil
              > ****Oxy-Clean
              > ****Simply Green
              > ****WD-40
              > ****Fast Orange (Hand Cleaner)
              > ****Rid-X (Septo.bac in Canada)
              >
              > Mechanical:
              >
              > scalpel/dental picks
              > needles
              > Fibre brush/pen
              > brass brush/pen
              > *****Pin Vises (Tungsten, Brass, etc..)
              >
              > Electical:
              >
              > Dremel cleaning tools
              > electrolysis
              > Ultrasonic cleaner
              > rock tumbler
              >
              > 'Other'
              >
              > crockpot(!)
              > ***This is really used with one of the chemical or soaking ideas.
              So you would have soaking with distilled water, and soaking with
              distilled water in a crockpot on high. Same with the chemicals
              Gringgotts and so forth. If my memory is right DO NOT USE LYE with
              hot water ... I believe that is a bad combo ... but it has been
              awhile since I messed with it.

            • Glenn Simonelli
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
                I seem to remember a group member who was going to soak crusties in
                sugar water and then leave them near an ant hill. Whatever happened
                with that experiment?

                Glenn Simonelli
                http://mypage.iu.edu/~gsimonel/roman1.htm

                --- In Uncleanedcoins@yahoogroups.com, "James Marshall"
                <jimbomar@o...> wrote:
                > I was thinking today about the various methods for cleaning UC.
                >
                > Here is the list I came up with, and it includes a few of the more
                > whacky theories I haven't tried. Any I missed?
                >
                > Soaking:
                >
                > olive oil
                > distilled water
                >
                > Chemical:
                >
                > TSP/CLR
                > Lye/caustic soda
                > coca-cola
                > gringotts mix
                > lemon juice and aluminum foil
                >
                > Mechanical:
                >
                > scalpel/dental picks
                > needles
                > Fibre brush/pen
                > brass brush/pen
                >
                > Electical:
                >
                > Dremel cleaning tools
                > electrolysis
                > Ultrasonic cleaner
                > rock tumbler
                >

                > 'Other'
                >
                > crockpot(!)
              • Jb
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Maybe they got too sweet and they were eaten 1

                • Jb
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2005
                    They have a new stronger Kaboom out on the market as advertised on TV.Has anyone tried that yet?