Titanium & Tungsten Pins

  • biffrulz1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 8:14 PM
      I'm just writing a few lines about how well the titanium and tungsten
      pins from Common Bronze work on uncleaned coins.
      I had a coin sitting in DW for about a year and a half that was quite
      crusty, I just used a brass brush on it and started to get a little
      detail. Last week I decided to use the two pins on it and they worked
      wonderfully. The best thing is that you don't need to sharpen them
      every hour. Also they are surprisingly easy to work with and don't
      scratch up the coins as one might think.
      Anyways the coin turned out to be a Valerian I Dacia AE25
      OBV IMPLICIVALERIANVSPFAVG
      REV PROVINCIA DACIA VIII
      This is the rarest coin that I have cleaned.
      These pins really have changed my cleaning methods and highly
      recommend
      them to all.

      Gary van Doesburg
    • Tony Jaworski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4 6:56 AM
        Thanks Gary, I'm glad that you like the pins as much as we do!

        I also wanted to let everyone know that we have added three new pins to the mix. These are very small (less than .5mm wide) pins. We have a Brass Pin Vise that we designed them for (as it only accepts small pins) but they will work in any pin vise that we sell.

        We have the small pins available in Brass, Tungsten and Silver ... the best part is that becuase they are so small .. you don't really need to sharpen them until you have blunted the tip... they stay sharp longer just becuase they are small...

        Take a look and don't take my word for it ... we have multiple reviews on the site about the effectiveness of our tungsten pins !

        http://www.commonbronze.com/catalog

        Thanks,

        Tony & Tom

        biffrulz1 <biffrulz1@...> wrote:
        I'm just writing a few lines about how well the titanium and tungsten
        pins from Common Bronze work on uncleaned coins.
        I had a coin sitting in DW for about a year and a half that was quite
        crusty, I just used a brass brush on it and started to get a little
        detail. Last week I decided to use the two pins on it and they worked
        wonderfully. The best thing is that you don't need to sharpen them
        every hour. Also they are surprisingly easy to work with and don't
        scratch up the coins as one might think.
        Anyways the coin turned out to be a Valerian I Dacia AE25
        OBV IMPLICIVALERIANVSPFAVG
        REV PROVINCIA DACIA VIII
        This is the rarest coin that I have cleaned.
        These pins really have changed my cleaning methods and highly
        recommend
        them to all.

        Gary van Doesburg

        ---------------------------------

      • rocksrme2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 9:25 PM
          to tony
          how do you shappen them when they need to be
          brian mace
          --- In Uncleanedcoins@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jaworski <mnpolock@y...>
          wrote:
          > Thanks Gary, I'm glad that you like the pins as much as we do!
          >
          > I also wanted to let everyone know that we have added three new
          pins to the mix. These are very small (less than .5mm wide) pins. We
          have a Brass Pin Vise that we designed them for (as it only accepts
          small pins) but they will work in any pin vise that we sell.

          > We have the small pins available in Brass, Tungsten and Silver ...
          the best part is that becuase they are so small .. you don't really
          need to sharpen them until you have blunted the tip... they stay
          sharp longer just becuase they are small...

          > Take a look and don't take my word for it ... we have multiple
          reviews on the site about the effectiveness of our tungsten pins !

          > http://www.commonbronze.com/catalog
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tony & Tom
          >
          > biffrulz1 <biffrulz1@y...> wrote:
          > I'm just writing a few lines about how well the titanium and
          tungsten
          > pins from Common Bronze work on uncleaned coins.
          > I had a coin sitting in DW for about a year and a half that was
          quite
          > crusty, I just used a brass brush on it and started to get a
          little
          > detail. Last week I decided to use the two pins on it and they
          worked
          > wonderfully. The best thing is that you don't need to sharpen them
          > every hour. Also they are surprisingly easy to work with and don't
          > scratch up the coins as one might think.
          > Anyways the coin turned out to be a Valerian I Dacia AE25
          > OBV IMPLICIVALERIANVSPFAVG
          > REV PROVINCIA DACIA VIII
          > This is the rarest coin that I have cleaned.
          > These pins really have changed my cleaning methods and highly
          > recommend
          > them to all.
          >
          > Gary van Doesburg

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

        • Tony Jaworski
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7 6:06 AM
            Hi Brian,

            I use the Dremel cut off wheels that we sell in the store to sharpen my pins or freshen the tips. You could also use a sander or anything similar that is an abrasive for freshening or sharpening the pins.

            Just PLEASE make sure that you have something to securely hold the pin while you are doing this… they are very sharp and very hard (especially the tungsten) so if it slips and has momentum is basically a sharp filing object!

            I usually run lower RPM’s on the dremel when I am doing this and clamp the pin in a vise.

            I’ll ask Tom (who is the technical brains behind the operation) what his recommendation is… and then you’ll have it from the source (Tom sharpens all the pins for sale a Common Bronze).

            Thanks,

            Tony

            wrote:
            > Thanks Gary, I'm glad that you like the pins as much as we do!
            >
            > I also wanted to let everyone know that we have added three new
            pins to the mix. These are very small (less than .5mm wide) pins. We
            have a Brass Pin Vise that we designed them for (as it only accepts
            small pins) but they will work in any pin vise that we sell.

            > We have the small pins available in Brass, Tungsten and Silver ...
            the best part is that becuase they are so small .. you don't really
            need to sharpen them until you have blunted the tip... they stay
            sharp longer just becuase they are small...

            > Take a look and don't take my word for it ... we have multiple
            reviews on the site about the effectiveness of our tungsten pins !

            > http://www.commonbronze.com/catalog
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Tony & Tom
            >
            > biffrulz1 <biffrulz1@y...> wrote:
            > I'm just writing a few lines about how well the titanium and
            tungsten
            > pins from Common Bronze work on uncleaned coins.
            > I had a coin sitting in DW for about a year and a half that was
            quite
            > crusty, I just used a brass brush on it and started to get a
            little
            > detail. Last week I decided to use the two pins on it and they
            worked
            > wonderfully. The best thing is that you don't need to sharpen them
            > every hour. Also they are surprisingly easy to work with and don't
            > scratch up the coins as one might think.
            > Anyways the coin turned out to be a Valerian I Dacia AE25
            > OBV IMPLICIVALERIANVSPFAVG
            > REV PROVINCIA DACIA VIII
            > This is the rarest coin that I have cleaned.
            > These pins really have changed my cleaning methods and highly
            > recommend
            > them to all.
            >
            > Gary van Doesburg

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • Tom Ross
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8 10:43 AM
              Hi,

              I use a large industrial sander at work to sharpen all the pins. putting
              the sharp point on the tungsten is really not that hard, but putting the
              flat scrapper on them is very time consumming. At home I use a dremel tool
              that I have in a holder, made special to hold the tool so both hands are
              free. I use an authentic dremel cut off wheel, and keeping the pin in the
              pin vice I rotate it on the side of the wheel (not realy there intended
              purpose) until I am happy with it. Safety glasses are a must have item,
              please don't use a dremel on anything without glasses, I even where glasses
              when using a buffing wheel.

              Our tiny pins, silver, brass and tungsten I hand sharpen on a diamond wheel
              that goes in the dremel. These small, 0.5 mm pins really are sharp when
              they are dull :) but with the diamond sharpening there are so very sharp
              and can find there way into the smallest places on a coin. the silver and
              brass require frequent touch ups, but the tunsten stay sharp for a long
              time.

              Hope this helps

              Tom