Re: [Uncleanedcoins] coin id help?

  • Lee R. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
      Many of the later tiny ae4s actually have a monogram on the reverse that
      does resemble an "N"

      Here is a great reference page by John McIntosh with drawings of many of
      the monograms.

      http://www.mcintosh55.com/mono.html

      Lee

      At 03:59 PM 9/4/2004, Garry wrote:
      >Hi Everyone
      >I hope you are all enjoying your last summer fling. I have a small
      >coin that I could use a little help Identifying. It is 9mm in diam
      >and weighs .9 grms. The obverse shows a right facing bust, with what
      >looks to be the letters DN in the exerge. The reverse appears to be
      >the letter N, which is almost as large as the coin. The feet of the
      >N seem to be circles. I realize there are a lot of emperors with DN
      >in their title, but I thought the reverse might provide a clue. I'd
      >like to post pictures but the patina is so thick that you can only
      >see detail at a sidewards glance, front on you won't see much.
      >Enjoy the end of summer and thanks for any help.
      >Garry
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292nfq78/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705566157:HM/EXP=1094417978/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>
      >click here
      >
      >[]

      > *
      > <mailto:Uncleanedcoins-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>Uncleanedcoins-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > *
    • Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2004
        Garry,
        Too bad you cannot post a photo, you might want to try anyway.
        Monogram coins are from the late Empire and are fairly scarce, so a
        good find on your part. Lee Johnson will from time to time will
        offer to the group AE4s and there have been a few reports about
        monograms in his lots!
        Kelly