Re: [Uncleanedcoins] Lots of new members .Lets ID ourselfs to one another.

  • Mark Lehman
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2004
      Hi all,
      I doubt many do not know me and my controversial opinions - I've nearly been moderated off a couple of lists for speaking my mind about religion & the "Tribute Penny" - but then, I came only a whisker short of being a preacher in real life.
      I got started with ancient coins in the second Eisenhower administration - just about the time of Sputnik - so I guess I'm an "ancient" myself - or so it often seems.
      There was a time a few years back when this list was an enormously happy family with folks like Stickfarm, Mickey, (the Mouse) Mark (the other Mark, Mark) "The Plumber" (and what depths he may have plumbed, i'm not sure) Hauslohn - the naughty brit lady - and so many others I have come to love (and still keep in touch with off-list) but there is little I apprieciate more than the friendships I've made here - an "unforgiving minute's worth of distance run" turned into ACE - Ancient coins for Education, Inc (congrats on your baby, Mike & Jeri!) and although as a totally runaway premise it consumes most of my life, I'd never have it anyway else.
      Joe, you and I have had a few differences of opinion - we're different people on different ends of the continent, after all - but that's what a list like this is all about - many folks of wildly differing opinion and lifestyle - you and Susan have even patched it over - if "y'all" can manage that - well - even a Yankee like me can say: "y'all", right? all y'all?
      We're 750 incredibly different people who are closer than we can even imagine - we're no further away than our fingers on a keyboard - we share our triumphs and tragedies (and anybody who's ever owned a "Triumph" with electrics by "Lucas - Prince of Darkness" knows what tragedy is all about! - riding hell-for-leather in the total dark grinning like a shark because you never know when you're going to need a friend!)
      Well, I came late to the fraternity of computer-literate coin folks - it's amazing I managed at all, given what a throwback I am - I could segue easily into any of PBS's "ancient homes" "reality" shows - where I live is probably about as rude and crude as ANY of you could imagine - and after you breast the beavers' revetments, escape the attack-owls, outrun the bears and get licked to death by my ferociously friendly dog, I'll be glad to welcome you to my little hilltop cabin, open my safe and show you what 50 years of never, ever throwing anything away can do for you.
      Thanks Joe, William, and all the others who make a list a family -old, lonely folks like me have little else.
      Mark

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2004
        I may in fact have been the 750th person to join the group sparking this flood
        of self revelation. I am a teacher of Latin and Ancient Greek with 20 years
        years of experince in philology, linguistics and archaeology. As a charter
        member participating in the Ancient Coins for Education project I can attest
        that their idea of putting an uncleaned coin in the hand of a student provides
        an unparalleled and unforgettable experience regardless of the quality of the
        coin. If any of you have any extra coins lying around, DONATE THEM TO
        ACE! Nothing could be more helpful to the cause of preserving our right to
        collect these bits of history than educating a new generation of enthusiasts.
        Nicole Diamente
      • Mark Lehman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2004
          Hi Nicole,

          Nice to speak to you on this forum - welcome!
          Thanks for the ACE plug - and I'll add one of my own - Nicole is a multiple award-winning ACE teacher - one for "Ideas for a School Ancient Coin Exhibition." and in fact I'm visiting her school this Friday in an "official" capacity to make one of the ACE Teacher awards in person. So we now have a most highly qualified UCC member who can answer those tough Latin and Greek inscription questions that keep coming up.
          Again, Welcome!

          See you Friday,
          Mark

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2004
            Mirabile dictu! Within 15 minutes of posting I've been outed. I claim no
            responsibility myself for the success of the students - they did it on their own, I
            simply provided guidance. I'm going to private viewing t Christie's tomorrow
            for archaeologists and plan to plug ACE as much as will be tolerated.
          • Jb
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 7, 2004
              We are always interested in hearing some experiences from participants of ACE.It is a project near and dear to this list hearts since the project was born of an idea from members of uncleanedcoins .Let us hears some if you are a participant.