Re: Aes of Titus

  • Glenn Simonelli
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
      Funny you should mention RIC. Yesterday I received a complete set
      of RIC (used) in the mail from Charles Davis books. I now have a Roman
      coin book collection worth more than my Roman coin collection. But
      that's another story.

      RIC does not catalog any coin with that inscription, but it does
      reference it in a footnote. The coin in question is reign of
      Vespasian, Rome mint, #627: AE As. Ob: laurate head, r., T CAES
      VESPASIAN IMP P TR P COS II. Rev: VICTORIA NAVALIS S C: Victory
      standing r. on prow, holding wreath and palm. Common. The footnote
      reads: Variant of obv. VESPAS in Egger Sale, April, 1913, lot 640.

      Hope this helps.

      Glenn Simonelli
      My web page: mypage.indiana.edu/~gsimonel/roman1.htm

      --- In Uncleanedcoins@yahoogroups.com, Tim Patterson <tpatters@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hi everyone.
      >
      > I have a coin of Titus (obtained from Ernest Miner) that I am
      attempting to
      > attribute. The coin is 25 mm in diameter and weighs 9.1 grams.
      > The obverse is in F condition, laureate bust facing right, with the
      majority
      > of the following inscription intact:
      >
      > TCAESVESPASIMPPTRPCOSII
      >
      > Unfortunately, the reverse is flat with no detail visible.
      >
      > Based on the COSII I know that the coin was struck in 73 AD and Sear
      reports
      > that all of the Aes coinage was struck in Rome. However, I am
      interested to
      > know whether it is possible to attribute the coin further. Was
      there much
      > coinage struck with that obverse inscription? I have not been able
      to find
      > a single example with this inscription at Wildwinds, Dirty Old Coins
      or the
      > Ancient Coin Forum. Times like this I wish that I had a set of
      RICs. Any