Coin cleaning contest.

  • Richard Fleming
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3 3:43 PM
      Hello Group

      My two large coins have turned out to be a slug with several counterstamps (at least one will be identifiable I think) and the other is what looks like will turn out to be a Caligula Vesta. Portions of the lettering are coming through as well as the profile and reverse. The smaller coins include a mix of identifiable and some that will be hard to attribute. There is one Constantine that I remember. I have been so busy this year that I am glad we have lots of time to clean for this contest. It has been at least two weeks since I have given them a scrub. We may have gotten lucky with some decent large coins from Clairecoins. I noticed that shortly after our contest started he has not listed anything in a long, long time. I sent him an email and got no response. Has he dissapeared? Also have not heard anything from JB since he went overseas again. Anyway, I am hoping we see something good coming out of this contest and looking forward to sharing the results in a couple of months.

      We just got a nice contribution of a sweet Gordian III denarius as a new prize that I will post this weekend. Only 2-3 months until the coins have to be submitted for judging. I will get focused again on getting logistics nailed down shortly. Your opinions about the contest are vauable and welcome and will be used to improve future events. Any new prize donors - just contact me. Ernest - have you picked out something yet? How about a signed photo of yourself romping through the apple orchard in your Toga and a bag of nice uncleaned?

      I saw mention of the coin brushes in ther email traffic - I intend to add some of these to the prize listing. Yes, they are a nice tool - both the brass and fiberglass versions.

      Happy 4th to All

      Best Regards
      Richard Fleming

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3 4:37 PM
        For my two large coins, one was so badly encrusted that I had to resort to electrolytic reduction to clean it. It is an Augustan moniers As, to be sure. The other large coin turned out to be a very worn (no legends), but nicely patinated dupondius of Domitian. Nice bust, actually. Many, many hours of DW and mechanical cleaning only have revealed a silky smooth green patina. It has a large deep gash across his neck and where the crown is located, which to me signifies a damnatio coin. The coin is from Joe's bunch.

        The others are in various stages of soaking and cleaning. Several family of Constantine pieces are still in the juice.
        The crusader coin I received actually has a lion (?) on one side, and a cross on the other.

        Who knows what else will be revealed....

        Bob Effler - #26