Re: Ebay & the market.....

  • bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      I honestly agree with the position posed by Joe. I myself have
      thought about this very phenomenon. It not only affects coins, but
      also other collectibles. We collect porcelain figurines (Lenox,
      Hummel, Dept 56, Andrea, etc) and while the opportunities to purchase
      have exploded due to ebay(finding them locally in the aftermarket was
      always difficult) the prices have fallen dramatically. This is also
      true of baseball cards and comic books. I see the movement towards
      Grading and Authentication companies in order to remove some of the
      subjectivity out of descriptions. Coin folks have been doing this
      for years, but its only worthwhile for higher end coins. Those of us
      who collect (and sell) the uncleaned coins almost exclusively by and
      large don't ever find the need to get a coin graded (except for all
      those gold coin finds! :) )
      I also agree the brick and mortar dealers have their place and given
      the opportunity to buy one in person versus from an unknown ebay
      seller, I'll also pick the face to face every time, even paying a
      premium for that known quantity.
      It is funny though, I saw a 60 minutes or some other news story about
      how pawn shops are using ebay to set prices to know what to give
      folks who bring items in for pawn or sell. They hook up directly to
      the internet in the back room and have an idea on value right there
      based on completed sales. Sometimes, they've even re-sold the item
      through buy it now before the pawner even leaves the store!! Of
      course this removes the fun of seeing pawn shops with three or four
      common corroded Roman coins in really terrible shape priced at $50
      each because someone fooled them into thinking they were really rare
      because of being "ancient".
      Sorry for the long winded diatribe, but I think the topic is fun and
      pertinent!
      Bob
      --- In Uncleanedcoins@y..., "Joe Winnett" <kerux@c...> wrote:
      > I attended a small coin show in my area this weekend and heard
      dealers declare they were ready to "move coins" and "discount
      significantly", yet the prices asked were still significantly higher
      than what similar material sells for on Ebay from seemingly reputable
      on-line dealers. It got me to thinking what the effect of Ebay has
      been on the ancient coin market. Have prices been pushed down and
      profit margins shrunk in this "Ebay age"?