FSQ 106ED + reducer: camera spacing

  • ram viswanathan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2013
      Hi Group,
      Is the FSQ Reducer QE also a field flattener? Or does it simply reduce the FL of an already flat field from the FSQ?

      Context: I have so far been using canon camera to couple to the FSQ. About 8 months ago I switched to using a QSI camera with canon mount. Since the mount - focal plane distance was the same as a standard canon camera everything worked hunky dory.

      I am now switching to the QSI camera with an off axis guider (WSG version). I still wish to use the canon mount from QSI camera. I believe there is sufficient backfocus available.

      My question is around how finicky the FSQ+reducer combo is about spacing between Reducer and camera.

      Will I experience any field curvature as a result of increased spacing between reducer rear lens and camera?

      Thanks,
      --Ram
    • Woody Schlom
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2013
        Ram,

        I don't have a FSQ but my understanding is that by design -- this scope
        is flat-field. That's one of the things that makes it so nice, so heavy
        and so expensive. So my guess is that the QE is just a focal-reducer --
        since the scope already has a flat field.

        Woody

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2013
          Ram,
          The distance between the reducer and the camera is extremely finicky.

          The required distance is 72.2mm +/- .2mm.

          The precise distance is required to achieve focus at a point where the field is flat.

          You should have able to make your setup work. Have a look at preciseparts.com, you could build a custom adapter that gets you the exact distance you need.

          Clear skies,
          Jose

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 25, 2013, at 6:10 PM, "ram viswanathan" <ramviswanathan@...> wrote:

          > Hi Group,
          > Is the FSQ Reducer QE also a field flattener? Or does it simply reduce the FL of an already flat field from the FSQ?
          >
          > Context: I have so far been using canon camera to couple to the FSQ. About 8 months ago I switched to using a QSI camera with canon mount. Since the mount - focal plane distance was the same as a standard canon camera everything worked hunky dory.
          >
          > I am now switching to the QSI camera with an off axis guider (WSG version). I still wish to use the canon mount from QSI camera. I believe there is sufficient backfocus available.
          >
          > My question is around how finicky the FSQ+reducer combo is about spacing between Reducer and camera.
          >
          > Will I experience any field curvature as a result of increased spacing between reducer rear lens and camera?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > --Ram

        • Art Ciampi
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            The reducer 72.2mm back focus which spacing provides the best possible
            image. Varying this spacing will affect the image negatively.

            I am going to send the CCD Scenarios charts to you off line. The 72.2mm
            group applies to the FSQ reducer.

            Fred is working out the proper adapter to use.

            Art