RE: [UncensoredTakGroup] Is it possible to move the primary mirror of a Tak-180 Epsilon forward?

  • Art Ciampi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
      Please call us and speak to Fred. He may be able to help you.

      Is your focuser set at the same height as the original focuser?

      Art Ciampi

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 22, 2013
        Hi Larry,

        I have an Epsilon 160+Moonlite focuser. The backfocus of the Moonlite focuser is the same as the stock focuser. If you are not reaching focus it is likely that your camera+filterwheel+adapter backfocus is greater than 55mm.

        I have 2 cameras an Starlight Xpress 8300 and an Atik 460EX. I use the SX filterwheel and OAG (total back focus including camera is ~56mm) and both cameras reach focus.

        Is there a way you can shorten the total back focus of your camera+filterwheek+adapter? Maybe a lowprofile adapter will do the trick.

        The SX OAG screw directly into the filterwheel, and the OAG has 52mm threads to I can hook the OAG to the Epsilon corrector directly without the need of adding an extra adapter.

        I think it would be easier and less expensive to find or build some low profile adapters instead of moving the mirror.

        Cheers,

        Jose

        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a Tak-180 Epsilon and a STT-8300 camera with filter wheel. The problem is that neither the Moonlite focuser nor the Robofocuser can get the camera in far enough to focus.
        >
        > Is it possible to move the primary mirror forward a small amount to enable the camera to focus? Are there any dangers or drawbacks to doing this if it is possible?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Larry Leitch

      • Art Ciampi
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 23, 2013
          I agree with Jose. You have a 56mm metal back distance as measured from the
          rearmost part that the camera

          adapter attaches to.

          Art

          <mailto:UncensoredTakGroup%40yahoogroups.com> , "larryl" wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a Tak-180 Epsilon and a STT-8300 camera with filter wheel. The
          problem is that neither the Moonlite focuser nor the Robofocuser can get the
          camera in far enough to focus.

          > Is it possible to move the primary mirror forward a small amount to enable
          the camera to focus? Are there any dangers or drawbacks to doing this if it
          is possible?

          > Thanks.
          >
          > Larry Leitch

        • larryl
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2013
            Thanks to everybody. ;-)

            The back-focus info that I have received fromn SBIG so far is:
            STT camera: 16.4 mm
            STT + Filter Wheel: 35.1 mm
            Required adapter: 20.9 mm
            Total back-focus: 56 mm

            This is in agreement with what Art has posted.

            When I get back to the scope this weekend, I will measure the distance from the surface of the OTA to the face of the Takahashi focuser and to the face of the Moonlite focuser and post the numbers.

            I would expect the difference to be very small. The Moonlite focuser does not focus at all and the Robofocus focuses at a focuser setting of about 70 (or so -- very small).

            Regards,

            Larry

            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi" wrote:

            > I agree with Jose. You have a 56mm metal back distance as measured from the
            > rearmost part that the camera
            >
            > adapter attaches to.
            >

            > Art

          • larryl
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 16 11:48 AM
              Problem Solved!!

              The back-focus distance given by SBIG did not include the flange needed to attach the camera to the scope. The thickness of the flange was about 4 mm. With the correct information, I was able to get an adapter of the correct length from Precise Parts. The scope and camera now focus!

              Larry

              --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:

              > Thanks to everybody. ;-)
              >
              > The back-focus info that I have received fromn SBIG so far is:
              > STT camera: 16.4 mm
              > STT + Filter Wheel: 35.1 mm
              > Required adapter: 20.9 mm
              > Total back-focus: 56 mm
              >
              > This is in agreement with what Art has posted.
              >
              > When I get back to the scope this weekend, I will measure the distance from the surface of the OTA to the face of the Takahashi focuser and to the face of the Moonlite focuser and post the numbers.
              >
              > I would expect the difference to be very small. The Moonlite focuser does not focus at all and the Robofocus focuses at a focuser setting of about 70 (or so -- very small).
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Larry
              >

              > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi" wrote:
              > >
              > > I agree with Jose. You have a 56mm metal back distance as measured from the
              > > rearmost part that the camera
              > >
              > > adapter attaches to.
              > >

              > > Art

            • Ralph Pass
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 16 2:16 PM
                Larry:
                I should have read this earlier. I had the same problem and the same 4mm 'surprise' However, in my case it prevented the system from getting to focus (so I had to redo the chain of equipment).

                Glad it worked out for you.

                Ralph Pass

              • larryl
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 16 9:42 PM
                  Hi Ralph,

                  It is good to hear from you.

                  I did say in an earlier message that I "achieved focus". Now, IIRC, I got a '/' curve in FocusMax (just the right side of the V). There was little, if anything for the left leg of the V because the focuser was all the way in.

                  While I sit here typing, the Tak 180 and SBIG STT-8300 are imagining IC1318.

                  Hope to see you again sometime.

                  Larry