Re: [UncensoredTakGroup] FC-L tripod question - Shimano clamps ?

  • Orlando Andico
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
      I have always wondered if one could buy those Shimano clamps for one's own
      tripods. The bike stores are totally clueless about this..

      On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Woody Schlom <woody@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Chris,
      >
      > I'm not sure of model numbers or changes during the years, but the
      > tripod for my Tak EM-11 has two-stage telescoping wooden legs, and a
      > Shimano skewer at the top of each leg. The skewer levers have the
      > regular Shimano logo embossed in the aluminum. They say "Shiminao
      > Close" on one side and "Open" on the other side.
      >
      > Here's a link to photos of mine. These photos were taken to show how
      > legs should be attached and what the proper original Tak hardware looks
      > like. But I think you'll get an idea of what the Shimano skewers look
      > like anyway. The last photo in the album shows an entire assembly of
      > the hardware.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/87s6rcm
      >
      > Woody

      Orlando Andico
      +65.6436.1577 | +65.8139.0251

    • phcjpp
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
        This is really odd - I just had a FC-L tripod arrive today but no clamps - just bolts - its brand new from Tak-Europe - I am wondering if its old stock or something ?

        Chris

        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Orlando Andico <orly.andico@...> wrote:

        > I have always wondered if one could buy those Shimano clamps for one's own
        > tripods. The bike stores are totally clueless about this..
        >

        > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Woody Schlom <woody@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Chris,
        > >
        > > I'm not sure of model numbers or changes during the years, but the
        > > tripod for my Tak EM-11 has two-stage telescoping wooden legs, and a
        > > Shimano skewer at the top of each leg. The skewer levers have the
        > > regular Shimano logo embossed in the aluminum. They say "Shiminao
        > > Close" on one side and "Open" on the other side.
        > >
        > > Here's a link to photos of mine. These photos were taken to show how
        > > legs should be attached and what the proper original Tak hardware looks
        > > like. But I think you'll get an idea of what the Shimano skewers look
        > > like anyway. The last photo in the album shows an entire assembly of
        > > the hardware.
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/87s6rcm
        > >
        > > Woody

      • Gene Horr
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
          I had heard that in the past this was an extra that TNR did for the ones
          that they imported. Some of the very old ones just have a bolt and nut for
          each leg. So it may not be an official Tak product but an improvement the
          North American distributor adds.

          Gene

          > I have seen a couple of web sites refer to the FC-L tripod as having
          Shimano clamps and some not, does the tripod come with these clamps or are
          they extras ?

          Ta
          Chris
        • Woody Schlom
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
            Gene, Chris,

            Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
            Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
            too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.

            Woody

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
              Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!

              Chris

              --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@...> wrote:

              > Gene, Chris,
              >
              > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
              > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
              > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
              >
              > Woody

            • phcjpp
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                Although - it looks to me like they are bike wheel quick release clamps with a couple of washers.

                This sort of thing.

                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-wheel-skewers-quick-release-clip-bolt-lever-axle-cycle-bicycle-QR-skewer-/170876165628?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item27c9035dfc

                Assuming you get the correct length I imagine it should work fine.

                Chris

                --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "phcjpp" <chris@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!
                >
                > Chris
                >

                > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Gene, Chris,
                > >
                > > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
                > > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
                > > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
                > >
                > > Woody

              • Steve Ramey
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                  Generally, bike skewers are significantly longer than tripod skewers.

                  HTH,
                  Steve

                  ________________________________
                  Although - it looks to me like they are bike wheel quick release clamps with a couple of washers.

                  This sort of thing.

                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-wheel-skewers-quick-release-clip-bolt-lever-axle-cycle-bicycle-QR-skewer-/170876165628?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item27c9035dfc

                  Assuming you get the correct length I imagine it should work fine.

                  Chris

                  --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "phcjpp" <chris@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >

                  > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Gene, Chris,
                  > >
                  > > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
                  > > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
                  > > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
                  > >
                  > > Woody

                • Art Ciampi (Texas Nautical Repair)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2012
                    If you purchased it from the US, Shimano clamps are standard
                    on all FC-L and FC-M tripods as well as others.

                    Art Ciampi
                    Takahashi Marketing Manager
                    Texas Nautical Repair
                    713-529-3551
                    artc@...
                    www.takahashiamerica.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2012
                      We supply Shimano clamps in the US only.

                    • phcjpp
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2012
                        Thanks Art,

                        I have managed to find some clamps online that might work for us poor clamp-less souls in Europe. I will report back here if they are of any use.

                        Cheers
                        Chris

                        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas Nautical Repair\)" <artc@...> wrote:

                        > We supply Shimano clamps in the US only.
                        >
                        > Art Ciampi
                        > Takahashi Marketing Manager
                        > Texas Nautical Repair
                        > 713-529-3551
                        > artc@...
                        > www.takahashiamerica.com

                      • phcjpp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                          Hi Guys,

                          This is me reporting back - for those missing clamps on their wooden tripods please see this link that explains what bits you need to add them.

                          http://www.wimbledonastro.com/?p=237

                          It cost me £10 for the bolts and around £20 for the clamps so £30 in total.