RE: [UncensoredTakGroup] FC-L tripod question - Shimano clamps ?

  • Woody Schlom
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
      Chris,

      I'm not sure of model numbers or changes during the years, but the
      tripod for my Tak EM-11 has two-stage telescoping wooden legs, and a
      Shimano skewer at the top of each leg. The skewer levers have the
      regular Shimano logo embossed in the aluminum. They say "Shiminao
      Close" on one side and "Open" on the other side.

      Here's a link to photos of mine. These photos were taken to show how
      legs should be attached and what the proper original Tak hardware looks
      like. But I think you'll get an idea of what the Shimano skewers look
      like anyway. The last photo in the album shows an entire assembly of
      the hardware.

      http://tinyurl.com/87s6rcm

      Woody

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
        I have always wondered if one could buy those Shimano clamps for one's own
        tripods. The bike stores are totally clueless about this..

        On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Woody Schlom <woody@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Chris,
        >
        > I'm not sure of model numbers or changes during the years, but the
        > tripod for my Tak EM-11 has two-stage telescoping wooden legs, and a
        > Shimano skewer at the top of each leg. The skewer levers have the
        > regular Shimano logo embossed in the aluminum. They say "Shiminao
        > Close" on one side and "Open" on the other side.
        >
        > Here's a link to photos of mine. These photos were taken to show how
        > legs should be attached and what the proper original Tak hardware looks
        > like. But I think you'll get an idea of what the Shimano skewers look
        > like anyway. The last photo in the album shows an entire assembly of
        > the hardware.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/87s6rcm
        >
        > Woody

        Orlando Andico
        +65.6436.1577 | +65.8139.0251

      • phcjpp
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
          This is really odd - I just had a FC-L tripod arrive today but no clamps - just bolts - its brand new from Tak-Europe - I am wondering if its old stock or something ?

          Chris

          --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Orlando Andico <orly.andico@...> wrote:

          > I have always wondered if one could buy those Shimano clamps for one's own
          > tripods. The bike stores are totally clueless about this..
          >

          > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Woody Schlom <woody@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Chris,
          > >
          > > I'm not sure of model numbers or changes during the years, but the
          > > tripod for my Tak EM-11 has two-stage telescoping wooden legs, and a
          > > Shimano skewer at the top of each leg. The skewer levers have the
          > > regular Shimano logo embossed in the aluminum. They say "Shiminao
          > > Close" on one side and "Open" on the other side.
          > >
          > > Here's a link to photos of mine. These photos were taken to show how
          > > legs should be attached and what the proper original Tak hardware looks
          > > like. But I think you'll get an idea of what the Shimano skewers look
          > > like anyway. The last photo in the album shows an entire assembly of
          > > the hardware.
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/87s6rcm
          > >
          > > Woody

        • Gene Horr
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
            I had heard that in the past this was an extra that TNR did for the ones
            that they imported. Some of the very old ones just have a bolt and nut for
            each leg. So it may not be an official Tak product but an improvement the
            North American distributor adds.

            Gene

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
              Gene, Chris,

              Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
              Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
              too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.

              Woody

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!

                Chris

                --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@...> wrote:

                > Gene, Chris,
                >
                > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
                > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
                > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
                >
                > Woody

              • phcjpp
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                  Although - it looks to me like they are bike wheel quick release clamps with a couple of washers.

                  This sort of thing.

                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-wheel-skewers-quick-release-clip-bolt-lever-axle-cycle-bicycle-QR-skewer-/170876165628?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item27c9035dfc

                  Assuming you get the correct length I imagine it should work fine.

                  Chris

                  --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "phcjpp" <chris@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >

                  > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Gene, Chris,
                  > >
                  > > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
                  > > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
                  > > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
                  > >
                  > > Woody

                • Steve Ramey
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2012
                    Generally, bike skewers are significantly longer than tripod skewers.

                    HTH,
                    Steve

                    ________________________________
                    Although - it looks to me like they are bike wheel quick release clamps with a couple of washers.

                    This sort of thing.

                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-wheel-skewers-quick-release-clip-bolt-lever-axle-cycle-bicycle-QR-skewer-/170876165628?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item27c9035dfc

                    Assuming you get the correct length I imagine it should work fine.

                    Chris

                    --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "phcjpp" <chris@...> wrote:

                    > Hmmm - sounds like it might be time to call Art!
                    >
                    > Chris
                    >

                    > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Woody Schlom" <woody@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Gene, Chris,
                    > >
                    > > Could be. My TNR supplied EM-11 was made in 2008 and came with the
                    > > Shimano clamps. Every wooden-legged Tak tripod I've ever seen had them
                    > > too. But that said, I'm sure they all came through TNR.
                    > >
                    > > Woody

                  • Art Ciampi (Texas Nautical Repair)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2012
                      If you purchased it from the US, Shimano clamps are standard
                      on all FC-L and FC-M tripods as well as others.

                      Art Ciampi
                      Takahashi Marketing Manager
                      Texas Nautical Repair
                      713-529-3551
                      artc@...
                      www.takahashiamerica.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2012
                        We supply Shimano clamps in the US only.

                      • phcjpp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 10, 2012
                          Thanks Art,

                          I have managed to find some clamps online that might work for us poor clamp-less souls in Europe. I will report back here if they are of any use.

                          Cheers
                          Chris

                          --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas Nautical Repair\)" <artc@...> wrote:

                          > We supply Shimano clamps in the US only.
                          >
                          > Art Ciampi
                          > Takahashi Marketing Manager
                          > Texas Nautical Repair
                          > 713-529-3551
                          > artc@...
                          > www.takahashiamerica.com

                        • phcjpp
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 10, 2012
                            Hi Guys,

                            This is me reporting back - for those missing clamps on their wooden tripods please see this link that explains what bits you need to add them.

                            http://www.wimbledonastro.com/?p=237

                            It cost me £10 for the bolts and around £20 for the clamps so £30 in total.