RE: [UncensoredTakGroup] em200 correction rate

  • Gene Horr
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
      This behavior is correct when you are in the guide speed mode. At that
      speed the slewing will be very, very slow. It sounds like you are not
      switching to high speed for some reason. Does the LED light change color?

      Gene

      Gene,
      I took off the control box and looked inside. No cables unplugged. There are
      two wires coming out of the box, connected to what looks like a led, just
      floating.
      I powered the unit and turned on the tracking. The ra motor rotates ccw.
      When I press the left button to guide toward smaller ra, the motor speeds
      up.
      When I press the other ra button, the ra motor almost stops, but continues
      a very slow ccw motion. Is this what is supposed to happen?
      Skyx reports changing ra when either button pressed, in different direction
      depending on the button.
      If this is the expected behavior, and the unit slews fine, why doesn't the
      mount move when guiding toward large ra?
      Jim

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
        Mine has exhibited this on multiple occasions . Even though the plug looked to be firmly inserted into the paddle, removing and re-seating it always clears it up for me.

        Not sure if it is because my mount spends so much time outside and builds up some kind of corrosion on the contacts .

        good luck,

        Jim MIller

        On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Gene Horr < genehorr @ gmail .com > wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Darn. And both the computer and motor switches are on? If so then
        > you'll need to open it up. There was a post just this week about a
        > ribbon cable that can come unplugged on the board inside the mount.
        > Start there and look at all the other wiring connections.
        >
        > Gene

      • Jim Cadien
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
          Jim: I have unplugged and re-plugged-in that cable, no help.
          Gene: Fast slews in all directions are fine. When I turn the paddle switch
          from hs to ns,
          both dec directions work fine. Pushing the left ra button(decrease ra, move
          to west) works fine.
          Pushing the right button, and the mount/scope does not move. It makes it
          difficult to center a star on
          the ccd. I get exactly the same behavior when moving the scope using skyx,
          not the hand controller.
          It is as if when trying to use guide rate to move mount to east, the motor
          is not getting the correct voltage.
          Since I do not do any guiding when taking data, I hope I can get along
          without it.
          Jim

        • Gene Horr
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
            So this is how I read it. The problem is in guide speed only, is only with
            RA, and is when guiding towards west. With the cover removed and in guide
            speed you see the RA motor slow down when correcting to the east and speed
            up when correcting to the west.

            Since everything works perfectly in high speed mode it is not a gear
            problem. And since you observed the motor working correctly it is not in
            the electronics or in the motors. Any problem with the gears would not
            occur only in this one mode/direction combination. The only thing left is
            the clutch. Is that fully tight?

            Gene

            Jim: I have unplugged and re-plugged-in that cable, no help.
            Gene: Fast slews in all directions are fine. When I turn the paddle switch
            from hs to ns, both dec directions work fine. Pushing the left ra
            button(decrease ra, move to west) works fine.
            Pushing the right button, and the mount/scope does not move. It makes it
            difficult to center a star on the ccd. I get exactly the same behavior when
            moving the scope using skyx, not the hand controller.
            It is as if when trying to use guide rate to move mount to east, the motor
            is not getting the correct voltage.
            Since I do not do any guiding when taking data, I hope I can get along
            without it.
            Jim

            On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Gene Horr <genehorr@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > This behavior is correct when you are in the guide speed mode. At that
            > speed the slewing will be very, very slow. It sounds like you are not
            > switching to high speed for some reason. Does the LED light change color?
            >
            > Gene
            >

            > Gene,
            > I took off the control box and looked inside. No cables unplugged.
            > There are two wires coming out of the box, connected to what looks
            > like a led, just floating.
            > I powered the unit and turned on the tracking. The ra motor rotates ccw.
            > When I press the left button to guide toward smaller ra, the motor
            > speeds up.
            > When I press the other ra button, the ra motor almost stops, but
            > continues a very slow ccw motion. Is this what is supposed to happen?
            > Skyx reports changing ra when either button pressed, in different
            > direction depending on the button.
            > If this is the expected behavior, and the unit slews fine, why doesn't
            > the mount move when guiding toward large ra?
            > Jim
            >
            > On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Gene Horr <genehorr@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            >

            > > Darn. And both the computer and motor switches are on? If so then
            > > you'll need to open it up. There was a post just this week about a
            > > ribbon cable that can come unplugged on the board inside the mount.
            > > Start there and look at all the other wiring connections.
            > >
            > > Gene

          • Jim Cadien
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
              Gene:
              You have got it almost right :). problem is guiding to east..increasing ra.
              The clutch is tight, and the mount/scope are balanced. I have tried it
              having removed the
              cables from the camera as well. Could it not be in the electronics somehow?
              The guides to west and east
              must use somewhat different voltages, and the polarity must be different,
              so the motor will turn in opposite
              directions.

              Jim

            • Gene Horr
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                Well, no. At guiding speeds the RA should never reverse. The motor just
                slows down. Which is exactly what you saw.

                Are you hand guiding? If so at what power?

              • Jim Cadien
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                  Gene,
                  Same thing happens hand guiding with paddle, and from skyx. I use a 24V
                  power supply.
                  I don't understand how the motor does not change direction. The Tak manual
                  states that at
                  startup, the motor is at sidereal rate, and the guide rate (for increasing
                  ra) is 1.9 sidereal.
                  Seems to me that if that guide rate were 1.0 sidereal the motor would stop,
                  but since it is 1.9
                  sidereal, the motor would have to change direction, so that the effective
                  delta to the east would be 0.9
                  sidereal.
                  Do I have this conceptually wrong?

                  Jim

                • Gene Horr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
                    Yep <g>. Better to think of it as 1X = sidereal and then your correction
                    speed is added to/subtracted from that 1X. So the default correction of .9X
                    means that the two speeds are .1X (1 - .9) and 1.9X (1 + .9). Then you can
                    decrease the correction factor by .1 increments down to +/- .1X which gives
                    you the correction speeds of .9X and 1.1X.