Re: HELP ...NJP starts as if in the southern hemisphere !! IS THIS A FIX ?

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2011
      Lynn

      I think your eyepiece heater would help, but I am not sure it would be enought. You would just have to try it and let us know. The Temma-2 electronics power and its heater are close to the problem, so I would expect them to be much more effective.

      Also, I found if you use the mount every night, the problem stays away once it has gone away. After 2-3 days of power down, the condition seems to return. I also declutch the mount as a second safety, just in case I forget to turn off the motors.

      Remember " you cannot go to sleep until you see the GREEN lite next to the motors", or else you will risk running the scope into the mount or tripod.

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@...> wrote:

      > I left the "computer standby " switch ON last night with the motor switch OFF...and the power connected, yes I see now the degree of heat generated by the electronics to fight the dampness.
      > It bothers me though that the electrical path exists given the possibility of lightning induced currents. I suppose I could put a really good surge protector on the power supply...
      > Another thought...what if I disconnect my mount power source as I usually do ( to protect from lightning) and then stuff a 2" eyepiece dew heater strip inside the Temma 2 unit and only have the dew strip powered up ?? I would put small fuses in each dew heater strip line and a surge protector on the dew heater controller. Potentially, the only thing I'm sacrificing to a lightning induced current is the dew heater...not the Temma electronics.
      > Any suggestions ?
      > Cheers
      > Lynn
      >
      > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Gordon
      > > So, if I leave the "computer standby switch" ON and the "power switch" OFF....you are saying that I must keep power on to the mount, like Gary ? Or, can I disengage my power source ?
      > > Thanks, Gordon
      > > Cheers
      > > Lynn
      > >
      > > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "GordonM" <gmandell@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I agree with Gary.
      > > >
      > > > Lynn I had the same problem. I eventually had to replace the electronics of my NJP mount. I now leave the mount computer standby switch on and motor switch off when not in use and have not had this problem return. I do use a backup power solution with surge protection. I don't know how you could implement this solution in a remote observatory.
      > > >
      > > > Gordon

    • GordonM
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2011
        Lynn,

        You need to keep the mount connected to an external power source. With this arrangement the electronics stay on (and warm) but the mount will not track. If you leave the mount power turned on (and the mount parked) the mount will not track, however, if the computer and mount loss power and then power is restored to the mount, the mount will begin to track. This could be a problem if left unattended.

        Gordon

        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gordon
        > So, if I leave the "computer standby switch" ON and the "power switch" OFF....you are saying that I must keep power on to the mount, like Gary ? Or, can I disengage my power source ?
        > Thanks, Gordon
        > Cheers
        > Lynn
        >
        > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "GordonM" <gmandell@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I agree with Gary.
        > >
        > > Lynn I had the same problem. I eventually had to replace the electronics of my NJP mount. I now leave the mount computer standby switch on and motor switch off when not in use and have not had this problem return. I do use a backup power solution with surge protection. I don't know how you could implement this solution in a remote observatory.
        > >
        > > Gordon
        > >
        > > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <bailyhill@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello Gene
        > > >
        > > > I have surge protectors on the ps. I have been doing this for over 5 years. If you use the mount 2-3 times a week, then you do not have to do this. For my remote observatory, its used a couple times per month, which isnot enough to keep the electronics dried out. The solution may be to coat the boards at the factory with humidity resistance conformal coating.
        > > >
        > > > Gary

      • GordonM
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2011
          Yes. To be safe, don't tighten the clutches too much. Then if the mount tracks unexpectedly, you will minimize any potential damage.

          Gordon

          --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <bailyhill@...> wrote:

          > Lynn
          >
          > I think your eyepiece heater would help, but I am not sure it would be enought. You would just have to try it and let us know. The Temma-2 electronics power and its heater are close to the problem, so I would expect them to be much more effective.
          >
          > Also, I found if you use the mount every night, the problem stays away once it has gone away. After 2-3 days of power down, the condition seems to return. I also declutch the mount as a second safety, just in case I forget to turn off the motors.
          >
          > Remember " you cannot go to sleep until you see the GREEN lite next to the motors", or else you will risk running the scope into the mount or tripod.
          >

          > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I left the "computer standby " switch ON last night with the motor switch OFF...and the power connected, yes I see now the degree of heat generated by the electronics to fight the dampness.
          > > It bothers me though that the electrical path exists given the possibility of lightning induced currents. I suppose I could put a really good surge protector on the power supply...
          > > Another thought...what if I disconnect my mount power source as I usually do ( to protect from lightning) and then stuff a 2" eyepiece dew heater strip inside the Temma 2 unit and only have the dew strip powered up ?? I would put small fuses in each dew heater strip line and a surge protector on the dew heater controller. Potentially, the only thing I'm sacrificing to a lightning induced current is the dew heater...not the Temma electronics.
          > > Any suggestions ?
          > > Cheers
          > > Lynn
          > >
          > > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Gordon
          > > > So, if I leave the "computer standby switch" ON and the "power switch" OFF....you are saying that I must keep power on to the mount, like Gary ? Or, can I disengage my power source ?
          > > > Thanks, Gordon
          > > > Cheers
          > > > Lynn

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
            Heloo Gordon and all

            During a power outage, and subsequent re application, the motor switch should stay off, regardless, I think. I will have to try this just to make sure. I don't think the mount will go back to tracking physically, as long as the motor switch was off. Not sure about the software.

            I always remove the computer from the observatory, and restart on subsequent nights, so have not done this.

            Gary

            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "GordonM" <gmandell@...> wrote:

            > Yes. To be safe, don't tighten the clutches too much. Then if the mount tracks unexpectedly, you will minimize any potential damage.
            >
            > Gordon
            >
            > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <bailyhill@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Lynn
            > >
            > > I think your eyepiece heater would help, but I am not sure it would be enought. You would just have to try it and let us know. The Temma-2 electronics power and its heater are close to the problem, so I would expect them to be much more effective.
            > >
            > > Also, I found if you use the mount every night, the problem stays away once it has gone away. After 2-3 days of power down, the condition seems to return. I also declutch the mount as a second safety, just in case I forget to turn off the motors.
            > >
            > > Remember " you cannot go to sleep until you see the GREEN lite next to the motors", or else you will risk running the scope into the mount or tripod.
            > >

            > > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "lynnhilborn" <lynnhilborn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I left the "computer standby " switch ON last night with the motor switch OFF...and the power connected, yes I see now the degree of heat generated by the electronics to fight the dampness.
            > > > It bothers me though that the electrical path exists given the possibility of lightning induced currents. I suppose I could put a really good surge protector on the power supply...
            > > > Another thought...what if I disconnect my mount power source as I usually do ( to protect from lightning) and then stuff a 2" eyepiece dew heater strip inside the Temma 2 unit and only have the dew strip powered up ?? I would put small fuses in each dew heater strip line and a surge protector on the dew heater controller. Potentially, the only thing I'm sacrificing to a lightning induced current is the dew heater...not the Temma electronics.
            > > > Any suggestions ?
            > > > Cheers
            > > > Lynn

          • lynnhilborn
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
              Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I talked with Fred at TNR and he said to bake the boards by leaving the "computer switch" ON and that's the best I could do. He seemed OK with the idea of external heat as another option....like a dew strip inside the unit...it would be a trial effort.
              I'm going to put a dew strip heating unit together that I can power separate from the mount as I do want to keep the mount off the grid in case of lightning induced surges. The dew strip will be surge protected and fused before it reaches the TEMMA and I will attach it to the outside body, underneath the TEMMA housing. I have a heating unit that was made for a Celestron hand controller so it will cover the back of the TEMMA box nicely. Perhaps I should put some extra rubber between the TEMMA and the heating unit for added electrical isolation ??
              BTW we have had High humidity the last few days and I have left the "computer switch" ON and have had no repeats of the problem...so heating the unit does work.
              Thanks for the advice of loosening the clutches...yes, an excellent procedure....thanks
              Cheers
              Lynn

            • Gary
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                Hello Lynn

                Are you off grid when observing? Its just as likely for a surge to get you while observing as while not.

                If not, I suggest a surge suppressor for the power during observing also.

                Glad to hear that the baking by leaving the electronics is working for you. I know it worked for my EM500 mounts. Had not heard of it on an NJP before.

                Gary

              • Sander Pool
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                  I have to say I find it quite disturbing that mounts in this price class
                  are this sensitive to moisture. I mean this is an outdoor sport right?
                  Keeping a mount powered and de-clutched is a non-starter for permanent
                  installs. Naturally the clutch isn't accessible remotely but you'd also
                  loose your parking position.

                  If this is truly a problem then Tak needs to add a separate heater power
                  port that you can optionally keep powered while the mount is parked to
                  keep it warm. I know, this would take another 20 years of furious
                  development effort to implement but still :) I definitely will not keep
                  my mount powered when it's not being used. Using a dew strap is an
                  option but it's a tad ghetto for a mount in this class.

                  Sander

                  Gary wrote:

                  > Hello Lynn
                  >
                  > Are you off grid when observing? Its just as likely for a surge to get
                  > you while observing as while not.
                  >
                  > If not, I suggest a surge suppressor for the power during observing also.
                  >
                  > Glad to hear that the baking by leaving the electronics is working for
                  > you. I know it worked for my EM500 mounts. Had not heard of it on an
                  > NJP before.
                  >
                  > Gary
                  >
                  > -

                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                    Hello Sander

                    I agree with you that you should not have to keep the mount powered, but it takes several months for this to occur, and the mount must sit largely unused (and unbaked).

                    Regardless, a surge suppressor on this as well as all your observatory equipment is a good idea. I am using a Tripp-Lite Platinum AVBAR10 10-Outlets Isobar Surge Suppressor. $59.95 at NewEgg. Available from others I am sure.

                    The surge suppressor is a good idea for anything of value.

                    Gary

                    --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:

                    > I have to say I find it quite disturbing that mounts in this price class
                    > are this sensitive to moisture. I mean this is an outdoor sport right?
                    > Keeping a mount powered and de-clutched is a non-starter for permanent
                    > installs. Naturally the clutch isn't accessible remotely but you'd also
                    > loose your parking position.
                    >
                    > If this is truly a problem then Tak needs to add a separate heater power
                    > port that you can optionally keep powered while the mount is parked to
                    > keep it warm. I know, this would take another 20 years of furious
                    > development effort to implement but still :) I definitely will not keep
                    > my mount powered when it's not being used. Using a dew strap is an
                    > option but it's a tad ghetto for a mount in this class.
                    >
                    > Sander
                    >
                    > Gary wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hello Lynn
                    > >
                    > > Are you off grid when observing? Its just as likely for a surge to get
                    > > you while observing as while not.
                    > >
                    > > If not, I suggest a surge suppressor for the power during observing also.
                    > >
                    > > Glad to hear that the baking by leaving the electronics is working for
                    > > you. I know it worked for my EM500 mounts. Had not heard of it on an
                    > > NJP before.
                    > >
                    > > Gary
                    > >
                    > > -

                  • Sander Pool
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Hi Gary,

                      certainly I agree you need a surge suppressor. I use a UPS and SP
                      combination to feed power into one of these:

                      http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

                      Newegg is one of my favorite suppliers. In fact I bought another UPS
                      from them a week or two ago and it arrived the next day despite using
                      the 'free shipping' option. Amazing. Of course this has everything to do
                      with my apparent proximity to one of their distribution centers.

                      This is the one I got when it was on sale:

                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

                      We have UPSs all over the house. I do remove the little beepers though.
                      When the power fails I'd go batty if I didn't :)

                      Sander

                      Gary wrote:

                      > Hello Sander
                      >
                      > I agree with you that you should not have to keep the mount powered,
                      > but it takes several months for this to occur, and the mount must sit
                      > largely unused (and unbaked).
                      >
                      > Regardless, a surge suppressor on this as well as all your observatory
                      > equipment is a good idea. I am using a Tripp-Lite Platinum AVBAR10
                      > 10-Outlets Isobar Surge Suppressor. $59.95 at NewEgg. Available from
                      > others I am sure.
                      >
                      > The surge suppressor is a good idea for anything of value.
                      >
                      > Gary
                      >
                      > -

                    • lynnhilborn
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                        I have surge suppression power bars in the obs for normal use at all times...when I leave the obs after an astrophoto session I disconnect everything, including the surge suppressor from the main outlet... all cables are disconnected. The only thing that will now be connected to the grid, with its own surge protection, will be this heating unit for the TEMMA.
                        Sander, I think the web controlled outlets are great, but the outlat bar is still attached to your main power line ( even though some internal circuit in the bar has internally turned the bar off ) do you not worry about a surge powering thru' that circuit and then into the connected equipment ?? I recognize there are not many options for remote obs, but is this still not a worry ?
                        Cheers
                        Lynn

                        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Sander Pool <sander_pool@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Gary,
                        >
                        > certainly I agree you need a surge suppressor. I use a UPS and SP
                        > combination to feed power into one of these:
                        >
                        > http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html
                        >
                        > Newegg is one of my favorite suppliers. In fact I bought another UPS
                        > from them a week or two ago and it arrived the next day despite using
                        > the 'free shipping' option. Amazing. Of course this has everything to do
                        > with my apparent proximity to one of their distribution centers.
                        >
                        > This is the one I got when it was on sale:
                        >
                        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
                        >
                        > We have UPSs all over the house. I do remove the little beepers though.
                        > When the power fails I'd go batty if I didn't :)
                        >
                        > Sander
                        >
                        > Gary wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Hello Sander
                        > >
                        > > I agree with you that you should not have to keep the mount powered,
                        > > but it takes several months for this to occur, and the mount must sit
                        > > largely unused (and unbaked).
                        > >
                        > > Regardless, a surge suppressor on this as well as all your observatory
                        > > equipment is a good idea. I am using a Tripp-Lite Platinum AVBAR10
                        > > 10-Outlets Isobar Surge Suppressor. $59.95 at NewEgg. Available from
                        > > others I am sure.
                        > >
                        > > The surge suppressor is a good idea for anything of value.
                        > >
                        > > Gary
                        > >
                        > > -

                      • Sander Pool
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011
                          Lynn,

                          The outlet bar is powered from a UPS which in turn is powered from a GFI
                          outlet. I think it's about as safe as I can reasonably make it.

                          I suppose at some point there's always a risk. A tree could fall on my
                          obs. The dog from next door could jump his electric fence and maul me
                          while I'm fiddling with my scope. Lightning could strike my obs and
                          vaporize the mount. A surge could jump the relay in that box.

                          I think you get the idea. At some point you have to consider things
                          'protected enough'. Of course we all have different levels of tolerance
                          for these things. In general I think that you should not risk financial
                          ruin with anything you stick in a shed outside. If my mount or scope got
                          destroyed because of some random act of nature I'd yell and scream for a
                          few minutes and then plan the recovery :) This is highly personal and I
                          certainly don't blame anyone for looking at it differently.

                          Sander

                          lynnhilborn wrote:

                          > I have surge suppression power bars in the obs for normal use at all
                          > times...when I leave the obs after an astrophoto session I disconnect
                          > everything, including the surge suppressor from the main outlet... all
                          > cables are disconnected. The only thing that will now be connected to
                          > the grid, with its own surge protection, will be this heating unit for
                          > the TEMMA.
                          > Sander, I think the web controlled outlets are great, but the outlat
                          > bar is still attached to your main power line ( even though some
                          > internal circuit in the bar has internally turned the bar off ) do you
                          > not worry about a surge powering thru' that circuit and then into the
                          > connected equipment ?? I recognize there are not many options for
                          > remote obs, but is this still not a worry ?
                          > Cheers
                          > Lynn

                        • lynnhilborn
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 2, 2011