Re: FSQ106ED Focuser

  • Pawel T. Lancucki
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi

      I am using FSQ85 and while the focuser is nice and step up from SKY90 in
      terms of clear aperture and robustness, it still exhibits the same symptoms
      - slight left to right wobble when changing directions. My focuser had
      wobble when I got it (it was almost new from the first owner) and had to
      adjust it.

      Actually I have used most of Takahashi focusers (from the tiny on FS60, via
      the SKY90 one, 2,7" on FS102 and TOA130, 2,7" on BabyQ and 4" on FSQ106N. I
      have also seen in action the new FSQ106ED focuser. None of them was 100%
      free of some wobble and side shift and none was able to support the
      ultra-heavy modern CCDs.

      I wish Takahashi one day converts to a robust Cryford design. Or - if they
      are not able / willing to manufacture one "good enough" - they could do
      what other leaders do - outsource that bit to another leader (TEC and
      Astro-Physics both use Starlight Instruments focusers).

      A friend of mine using ultra-heavy FLI proline with large filter wheel and
      OAG discarded the stock 106ED focuser completely as he was not able to get
      it working properly i.e. providing pinpoint stars across his 36x36mm chip.
      A local astro machinist manufactured an extension tube the same diameter as
      OTA, the tube simply replaces focuser, an FLI PDF is crewed directly at the
      end and to that the OAG, filter wheel and camera are attached. Off course
      the tube has to have a very precisely measured length to place chip in
      focus. Since than, no more problem with flexure in his image train. A side
      benefit is that the clamshell can now placed much further back which makes
      this setup very easy to balance w/o any tricks like offset plates.

      Best regards

      Pawel Lancucki
    • louisyfwang
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 28, 2011
        Hi all,

        Does anyone share the result of focuser screws adjustment?
        I have similar problem but not sure if this can fix the issue that
        start is not round in one picture corner.
        Any experience sharing is helpful to me. Thank you.

        Best regards,
        Louis