Re: [UncensoredTakGroup] Hi and EM200 Pegasus help!

  • Dale Liebenberg
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      Hi Olly,
      I see that you have not had any response to your query.
      I don't think many guys are using Pegasus.
      I had one quick look at it when I received my EM200, but have rather made use of my StarryNight and Chuck Feranda's driver (free from http://ccdastro.com)
      I think most of us are using this driver with SN, TheSky, etc.

      Dale

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        Hi Olly,

        First of all congrats with the new mount! I bought an EM200 aswell a couple of months ago. I am using pegasus too, and have checked my settings. The values in your initialization box look good. If you hit ok after this you should be connected to the mount. My guess is that your usb to serial converter is not working. My first (cheap) converter didn't work for me too, I had a very similar error message. I bought another and after that everything worked out fine.

        regards,

        Pieter

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          Olly,

          please let me add some comments to Dale's post.

          1. setup the hardware (USB adapter, RS232 cable to the mount and turn on the little switch at the TemmaII controller.

          2. verify the COM-port in the Windows device-manager

          3. have ASCOM 5.5 and Chuck's driver installed

          4. start POTH and select the Temma driver

          5. select the COM-port in Chuck's driver

          6. connect the driver with POTH

          If this procedure runs without error, the driver's handbox shows the Zenit position (RA changes with the sirereal time and Dec = const.)

          Now turn on the larger motor switch and you see, the RA is stable.

          At next start the planetarium program and link this program with ASCOM POTH.

          Always start the night with the telescope in Zenit position. When you are very careful (I use a precise water level for the declination box and a post level for the scope), than you are almost in sync.

          And, as your mount is new: do not forget polar alignment with a correct leveled RA-box, offset scale and standard time!)

          Clear skies

          Hartmut

          --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Dale Liebenberg <dale.liebenberg@...> wrote:

          > Hi Olly,
          > I see that you have not had any response to your query.
          > I don't think many guys are using Pegasus.
          > I had one quick look at it when I received my EM200, but have rather made use of my StarryNight and Chuck Feranda's driver (free from http://ccdastro.com)
          > I think most of us are using this driver with SN, TheSky, etc.
          >
          > Dale
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Olly
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2010
            Hi Pieter, fancy meeting you here! Look forward to seeing you in the summer.
            I have solved the problem, I think. It was to so with the Com ports. Thanks,
            Olly

            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Pieter Vandevelde <ptr_vandevelde@...> wrote:

            > Hi Olly,
            >
            > First of all congrats with the new mount! I bought an EM200 aswell a couple of months ago. I am using pegasus too, and have checked my settings. The values in your initialization box look good. If you hit ok after this you should be connected to the mount. My guess is that your usb to serial converter is not working. My first (cheap) converter didn't work for me too, I had a very similar error message. I bought another and after that everything worked out fine.
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > Pieter

          • Olly
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2010
              Thanks Harmut. I think I have found the problem which was in the COm ports but your system seems good.
              Olly

              --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Hartmut" <hvb356@...> wrote:

              > Olly,
              >
              > please let me add some comments to Dale's post.
              >
              > 1. setup the hardware (USB adapter, RS232 cable to the mount and turn on the little switch at the TemmaII controller.
              >
              > 2. verify the COM-port in the Windows device-manager
              >
              > 3. have ASCOM 5.5 and Chuck's driver installed
              >
              > 4. start POTH and select the Temma driver
              >
              > 5. select the COM-port in Chuck's driver
              >
              > 6. connect the driver with POTH
              >
              > If this procedure runs without error, the driver's handbox shows the Zenit position (RA changes with the sirereal time and Dec = const.)
              >
              > Now turn on the larger motor switch and you see, the RA is stable.
              >
              > At next start the planetarium program and link this program with ASCOM POTH.
              >
              > Always start the night with the telescope in Zenit position. When you are very careful (I use a precise water level for the declination box and a post level for the scope), than you are almost in sync.
              >
              > And, as your mount is new: do not forget polar alignment with a correct leveled RA-box, offset scale and standard time!)
              >
              > Clear skies
              >
              > Hartmut
              >

              > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Dale Liebenberg <dale.liebenberg@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Olly,
              > > I see that you have not had any response to your query.
              > > I don't think many guys are using Pegasus.
              > > I had one quick look at it when I received my EM200, but have rather made use of my StarryNight and Chuck Feranda's driver (free from http://ccdastro.com)
              > > I think most of us are using this driver with SN, TheSky, etc.
              > >
              > > Dale

            • Olly
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2010
                Thamks Dale,
                It seems my problem lay in the Com ports setup. Many thanks for your input.
                Olly