Re: [UncensoredTakGroup] Mounting a Guide Scope on an FSQ106

  • bob_p@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Tom,
      Thank you very much for the pointer! I hadn't heard about them before. The rings plus their dovetail plate seems like a very good solution.

      Regards, Bob

      From: Bob <bob_p@...>
      To: UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, 31 January, 2010, 16:11

      Hi,
      I have an EM200 and an FSQ106(the original variety). I currently have a Cassady 8" saddle attached to the EM200, then a BT Tech dovetail plate with a clamshell attached to it holding the FSQ.
      I would like to attach a separate guidescope to the FSQ in order to facilitate narrowband imaging. Since the narrowband images require quite long exposures, I know it is important to have a guide scope mounting arrangement that is really solid.
      Can anyone recommend a set of equipment that would work in this situation? I've thought about using some TMB 114mm rings attached to an Astro Technology 13" D-plate which has a series of holes on 60mm centers which would allow a flexible mounting of the separation between rings and still allow the whole thing to move in the saddle for dec balancing. On top of the rings I was thinking of mounting a mini-Borg
      50mm Guide system. I'm thinking that minimizing the guidescope, etc. weight is beneficial, since the FSQ, camera, etc. already weighs 20+ lbs.
      If anyone can recommend tube rings, plates, guidescope, etc. that would work with the FSQ, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

      Regards, Bob

    • bob_p@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Jeff,
        Thanks for the recommendation! I like that approach, but I think the total will be too much weight for my EM200. Looks like you've got one of the heavier duty mounts.

        Regards, Bob

        > I have an EM200 and an FSQ106(the original variety). I currently have a Cassady 8" saddle attached to the EM200, then a BT Tech dovetail plate with a clamshell attached to it holding the FSQ.
        > I would like to attach a separate guidescope to the FSQ in order to facilitate narrowband imaging. Since the narrowband images require quite long exposures, I know it is important to have a guide scope mounting arrangement that is really solid.
        > Can anyone recommend a set of equipment that would work in this situation? I've thought about using some TMB 114mm rings attached to an Astro Technology 13" D-plate which has a series of holes on 60mm centers which would allow a flexible mounting of the separation between rings and still allow the whole thing to move in the saddle for dec balancing. On top of the rings I was thinking of mounting a mini-Borg
        > 50mm Guide system. I'm thinking that minimizing the guidescope, etc. weight is beneficial, since the FSQ, camera, etc. already weighs 20+ lbs.
        > If anyone can recommend tube rings, plates, guidescope, etc. that would work with the FSQ, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
        >
        > Regards, Bob

      • Jim Lafferty
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
          If you haven't already bought a guidescope you might consider the e-finder. I mount an e-finder directly to the top clamshell bolt and no issue with flexure--eliminates need for rings or another plate. I use an fsq/em200 combo as well. Pics on my equip page at:
          www.scopetrader.com/shogun
          Regards
          Jim
          Jim Lafferty

          jrlafferty@...
          shogun000@...
          www.scopetrader.com/shogun

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
            Hi Jim,
            Thanks very much for the pointer to the e-finder. I wasn't aware of
            that at all. I have a SBIG SG-4 guider. Have to see whether that would work
            with the e-finder.

            Regards, Bob

          • Howard
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
              Does anyone know if socalastro is still in business? I have been attempting to acquire a set of 125mm rings but I have not gotten any response.

              Best Regards,

              Howard

              --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Tom O'Donoghue <tomodonoghue@...> wrote:

              > Hi Bob,
              > I got my guide rings from here.
              > Tom.
              > http://www.socalastro.com/images/ring114/ring114.htm

            • Mark Eburne
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                They are in business but very slow and slow to respond. They send me an
                email two weeks ago stating that they were out of stock on the 125mm rings
                and would have more completed and ready at the end of Feb.. I ordered mine
                from Parallax which should be here Friday.

                Mark

              • ahwatukeejoe
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                  SoCalAstro is a very small shop and availability is limited to the few times of the year when they do production runs. Keep an eye out on A-mart and the various vendors...their rings are VERY solid and quite well worth having, IMO.

                  Tony