Re: Definition of metal back distance

  • Richard Kinsey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      Hi Rainer,

      Many thanks for your reply and link to your photo. Presumably the point that you refer to as focal plane is the front of the CCD, so I am assuming that the metal back distance is the physical distance from the back of the reducer/extender to the CCD?

      Best regards,

      Richard

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rainer" <rsbfoto@...> wrote:

      > Hi Richard,
      >
      > Please have look at this image
      >
      > http://rainerehlert.com/Takahashi/MetalBack-00.jpg
      >
      > I hope now it is clear what the metal back distance means.
      >
      > regards Rainer
      >

      > > I would be grateful if someone could define the metal back distance for focal reducers/extenders in terms of excatly where the distance is measured from and to.
      > > Many thanks,
      > > Richard

    • Rainer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        Hi Richard,

        Yes and sorry. I should have written focus plane. Most serious camera producers do specify the focus plane distance of the camera from the front of the front plate of the camera or any other adapter they have put there.

        So in order to know the size of the extension tubes you have to put between the camera and the reducer/extender or flattener you have to deduct this distance from the so called Metal Back distance.

        regards Rainer