Re: Teegul SkyPatro II & FS-60C

  • filmdos@nwlink.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@y..., "Arne Danielsen" <arnedani@o...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Mr. Walsh,
      >
      > Thank you very much for you feedback. Both shots are great with
      > nice and round
      > stars! I especially liked the shot of M42!

      Thanks. I'm a bit partial to it, myself :-)

      > I noticed that you used 20 seconds integrations for both images.
      > What focal length did you use

      Unadorned, 500mm FL

      > and was this the maximum exposure before you started to get
      > trailing?

      Yes, it was. I might have been able to eke out, say, 30 or 35 seconds
      but I think grabbed a 45 sec. shot that was so close that I felt
      competely safe at 20. I was in a hurry to grab the horse before it
      went into the roof of my uphill neighbors.

      > Did you have to throw away any images or where they all good?

      The laptop I gathered those with is on loan but my recollection is
      that all 15 shots were used in the final image.

      > I read a test in S&T where they had measured the PE of the mount to
      > about 40".
      > Is this your experience also? However the article didn't mentioned
      > the length
      > of the period. Do you know how long this is?

      I've had too many other toys to play with since then and not had the
      time to quantify it's tolerances to degree you are inquiring about. I
      have used it on vacation to show others the planets and I can recall
      it just holding on to Saturn for a long periods of rubbernecking just
      using a cursory alignment with the little polar scope. I have yet to
      even drift align the thing. On those two shots I took, there was no
      drift alignment - only the use of the polar scope.

      > Would you recommend to get the Sky90 instead of the FS-60C or will
      > it be a bit
      > on the heavy side for eclipse imaging with a 35mm camera?

      My "sense" is that the Sky 90 - plus - ST-7 - plus CFW-8 is pushing
      it to the very limit for imaging - and I'm not even sure it the
      mount, itself that's being tested - I think it may be the little
      wedge bracket that makes me nervous. That little bracket could be a
      bit beefier for my tastes.

      I will say that it's incredible to be able to place an entire
      observing system in my carryon-legal luggage. Sky 90, SP-II, Velbon
      Tripod, EPs, the works - and it all fits and I get to keep it all out
      of the hands of the gorillas :-)

      I would probably actually recomend the lighter and less expensive FS-
      60C for the purpose you describe. I have not imaged with the FS-60C
      but I spent a whole evening with a borrowed one(thanks, Ron)and was
      so impressed with it's performance, visually, that it prompted me to
      get the Sky 90 (you have to bear in mind that my observing-only scope
      is a Starmaster 18" - so really small aperture refractors were not on
      my want list until I saw what the FS-60C could do.

      BTW - Mr. Danielson? You can call me Paul.
    • Arne Danielsen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Paul,

        > My "sense" is that the Sky 90 - plus - ST-7 - plus CFW-8 is pushing
        > it to the very limit for imaging - and I'm not even sure it the
        > mount, itself that's being tested - I think it may be the little
        > wedge bracket that makes me nervous. That little bracket could be a
        > bit beefier for my tastes.
        >
        > I will say that it's incredible to be able to place an entire
        > observing system in my carryon-legal luggage. Sky 90, SP-II, Velbon
        > Tripod, EPs, the works - and it all fits and I get to keep it all out
        > of the hands of the gorillas :-)
        >
        > I would probably actually recomend the lighter and less expensive FS-
        > 60C for the purpose you describe. I have not imaged with the FS-60C
        > but I spent a whole evening with a borrowed one(thanks, Ron)and was
        > so impressed with it's performance, visually, that it prompted me to
        > get the Sky 90 (you have to bear in mind that my observing-only scope
        > is a Starmaster 18" - so really small aperture refractors were not on
        > my want list until I saw what the FS-60C could do.

        Thank you very much for your time and input, Paul! I really appreciate it!!

        BTW: The 18" Starmaster must be real feast to use!!!

        > BTW - Mr. Danielson? You can call me Paul.

        BTW2: And you can call me Arne.

        Best regards,
        Arne
        --
        Arne Danielsen
        Langhussenter 15, 1405 Langhus, Norway
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          Arne,

          You're right about the 18" SM. Though this is a Tak group and talk of
          big dobs may seem unseemly, the more I get into imaging with my Tak
          equipment and endeavoring longer and longer exposures, the more I've
          come to see the Stamaster as a vital Tak accessory :-)

          The "Starmistess" as we call it is actually my Lady, Valarie's to
          use. At starparties, she will often retire about 2:30am. So, I get
          to use the Mistess as a time killer while waiting out my Tak
          exposures. There is no better way to kill time - Kind of the
          ultimate in multi-tasking.

          The great thing about 18" of aperture is that even though I arrive at
          the eyepiece with a little Laptop vision adaptation problem, I can
          STILL see most objects pretty well right off the bat. Then just as I
          approach dark adaptation and about the time I've had my fill of such
          and such, it's back to the Laptop to start another exposure. It's
          also great for Target-Inspiration (it's equipped with the Sky
          Commander DSCs which work spectacularly well)

          Our mirror is a John Hall "Keeper" and the images reveal a
          magnificent figuring. Down the road a bit, I will be acquiring one of
          those nifty new aluminum tracking platforms and try some imaging with
          it(pant, pant). Having experimented with the SBIG STV on one of
          Starmaster's 24" goto scopes, I've already had a glimpse of what I'm
          in for.

          -Paul