Re: F6 Reducer for FS-152

  • ancient.sull
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2 9:06 PM
      My apologies. Previously I was at work and writing product numbers from
      memory. I have the Borg 7887 reducer, not the 7885. When using the 7887
      with the FS-102 I use the "thick" aluminum spacer. (it comes with two
      spacers. You pick which one based on the FL of your OTA)

      I also have the Tak "TOA FS Reducer. " This is the one for the smaller
      FS 102 focuser (not the 4" focuser)

      Both the Borg and the Tak reducers work pretty well with the FS 102
      even with a "fairly large" chip camera (STL11000M which isn't a big
      chip camera any longer).

      Both reducers vignette a little with that camera. Both can probably be
      fine to make even better images.

      Drew S.

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "THouseworth" <look-up1@...>
      wrote:

      > Drew,
      > Is that the 7704 Borg reducer you are using with the FS102? Do you
      know the spacers involved?
      > This sounds like a good combo.
      >
      > Tom
    • THouseworth
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3 5:45 PM
        Thanks for the info Drew!

        Tom

        wrote:

        > Drew,
        > Is that the 7704 Borg reducer you are using with the FS102? Do you
        know the spacers involved?
        > This sounds like a good combo.
        >
        > Tom

      • Pawel T. Lancucki
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 1:53 AM
          > There are Borg helical focusers but they may be too thick to use in
          > this way.
          >
          > What camera are you using with the Borg reducer? That Borg reducer has
          > different rings/spacers allowing you to change it's configuration for
          > scopes of different FL. Are you using the correct ring/spacer (the
          > bright alumininum ring)? IIRC there's a thick one, a thin one or you
          > can use none at all.
          >
          > Here is an image with that Borg reducer, an STL11000m and the Tak FS
          > 102:
          >
          > http://www.ancientstarlight.com/M31B.html
          >
          > The stars aren't perfect but they are pretty good in the corners.
          >
          > Drew S.

          Hi,

          Well, yes, I am using "almost-correct" spacers. My train is: FS60C + CAA +
          custom made M56 extension tube 10mm (made for another project), BROG Tak ->
          Borg adapter, BORG 20mm extension tube, 7885 reducer, Pentax M42x1 T-ring
          (from this point backfocus should be 45mm as per Pentax specs), 2 x Pentax
          M42x1 extension tubes, Borg Pentax M42x1 -> T adapter and finally SXv-M25
          CCD. The spacing from the end of Pentax T ring to CCD is around 44mm - one
          mm short - IF the camera backfocus is stated correctly. I am still testing
          this, as my previous results were severely off - I have discovered later
          that the system of the push-pull screws which adjust chip orthogonallity
          got loose and I had to re-set chip orthogonallity first. BUT I do plan to
          add a shim ring to get to the exact backfocus specs and will see. For now,
          the stars are fine on APS size chip except in the corners. The little FS60
          will not properly illuminate or deliver aberration-free field much above
          APS.

          Besides, the FS60 with Borg 7885 reducer @ around 300mm is a perfect match
          for P2Z - I have recently completed 24 x 5 integrations of M101 area
          unguided and tracking and polar alignment were so good that I could not get
          rid of hot pixels using sigma-combine - they simply did not move enough
          over 2 hours! If anybody is contemplating a small, easily airline-portable
          setup, P2Z with FS60 and DSLR or SX camera is a perfect match for nice
          wide-field images.

          Michael, I was not really serious about adjusting chip curvature ;-)

          Clear skies

          Pawel Lancucki
        • ancient.sull
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4 9:19 AM
            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Pawel T. Lancucki"
            <pawel.lancucki@...> wrote:

            > Besides, the FS60 with Borg 7885 reducer @ around 300mm is a
            perfect match
            > for P2Z - I have recently completed 24 x 5 integrations of M101 area
            > unguided and tracking and polar alignment were so good that I could
            not get
            > rid of hot pixels using sigma-combine - they simply did not move
            enough
            > over 2 hours!

            Dither. It's a big help

            > If anybody is contemplating a small, easily airline-portable
            > setup, P2Z with FS60 and DSLR or SX camera is a perfect match for
            nice
            > wide-field images.

            Hmm, I am going to New Zealand in at the end of the year for my first
            ever trip to the southern hemisphere. That combination is an
            interesting thought.