Re: Need ideas for mounting a Telrad on FS152

  • mjohnson@prb.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
      Ron:

      Now that's a real possibility. I have the bridge between the two
      rings and the bridge has some pre-drilled holes (don't know what they
      were meant to mount but a Telrad certainly could be one).

      Marv

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
      > Actually, one of the most interesting (and definitely over-
      engineered!)
      > approaches to a Telrad was to mount a Losmandy DUP on top of the
      rings, and
      > then mount the Telrad to that. Very secure. <g> You can use 1/2"
      Nylon
      > bushings between the rings and the plate to get up a little more to
      clear
      > the dew shield for guide scopes, but the Telrad or a Rigel should
      stick up
      > far enough to get clear of anything.
      >
      > Ron Wodaski
      > The New CCD Astronomy
      > http://www.newastro.com

    • Ron Wodaski
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
        I know that bridge. If the holes don't match the Telrad base, well, the base
        is plastic and you could drill it out pretty easily. I think that's your
        best bet.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New CCD Astronomy
        http://www.newastro.com

      • mjohnson@prb.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
          You're right but I have some aluminum stock from which I can make an
          adapter plate (or drill extra holes in the Telrad base).

          Thanks for the suggestions,

        • rander3127@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
            And I thought a Telrad looked ugly on an SCT...:)
            Still, if you must mount it, use double sided foam
            tape with an acrylic adhesive (not rubber) so it can
            be removed later without leaving residue.
            -Rich

          • mjohnson@prb.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
              I could paint it the Takahashi green and claim it's an unpriced
              option<g>. Herb could list them along with Tak accessories, place a
              500% markup on them and retire a rich young(?) man.

              Marv

              --- In UncensoredTakGroup@y..., rander3127@a... wrote:
              > And I thought a Telrad looked ugly on an SCT...:)
              > Still, if you must mount it, use double sided foam
              > tape with an acrylic adhesive (not rubber) so it can
              > be removed later without leaving residue.
              > -Rich
              >
              > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@y..., mjohnson@p... wrote:
              > > I have an FS152 on the NJP mount. I just acquired a Telrad
              finder
              > > that I'd like to mount. Problem - theres no way to mount it onto
              > the
              > > OTA directly. The distance between the focuser and the mounting
              > > rings is too small (especially when I balance the tube for the
              > > handgernade eyepieces. I surely don't want to mount it between
              the
              > > forward rings and the dew shield (I'd need a ladder just to use
              the
              > > thing). Also, I don't want to jury-rig something but rather,
              have
              > it
              > > fit in nicely with the esthetics of the mount and OTA. Since
              this
              > is
              > > such a popular low-power finder, I'm hoping someone out there has
              > > solved the problem.
              > >
              > > TIA,
              > >
              > > Marv
            • Herb York
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2001
                > I could paint it the Takahashi green and claim it's an unpriced
                > option<g>. Herb could list them along with Tak accessories, place a
                > 500% markup on them and retire a rich young(?) man.
                >
                > Marv

                Too late - poor and old already.