Re: EM-400 Bulletin.doc

  • holzerinatl
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
      Art:

      When you say "No PEC at the moment" are you implying that PEC will be
      added later?

      Bob

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas
      Nautical Repair \)" <artc@t...> wrote:
      > 1. The EM-400 uses the same base as the NJP.
      > 2. No PEC at the moment
      > 3. These will ship in August
      >
      > Art

      This
      > allows the tripod to be set in the most secure position.
      > >
      > > All of the cables attach to the underside of the Dec. housing
      and
      > the use of internal encoders allows the mount to be used without
      > having the cable wrap around in inconvenient positions.
      > >
      > > The 8 kg. counter weights use two lock screws for more secure
      > attachment to the counter weight shaft.
      > >
      > > The EM-400 uses the highly accurate EM-200 computing reticle
      with
      > an 11x eyepiece to allow 3 arc minute polar alignment to the
      > celestial pole. This reticle is usable until the year 2040.
      > >
      > > The EM-400 is a dual voltage mount that will operate on 12
      volts
      > [250x sidereal] or 24 volts [500x sidereal].
      > >
      > > The Temma-2 system is compatible with the Sky and other popular
      > software using the free ASCOM and Linux drivers.
      > >
      > > The EM-400 can be used anywhere in the world with a latitude
      > adjustment from 0?to 50? in either hemisphere.
      > >
      > > Specifications:
      > >
      > > Type German equatorial motor driven usable in northern or
      > southern hemisphere
      > > R.A. slow motion Motor driven
      > > Dec. slow motion Motor driven
      > > Azimuth adjustment 360?
      > > Latitude adjustment 0? to 50?
      > > Drive system Temma-2 "go-to"
      > > 500x sidereal @
      > > 24 volts
      > > Load capacity 85 lbs.
      > > Gross weight Equatorial head: 22.5kgs. [49.5 lbs.]
      > > Base: 5.2kgs. [11.4lbs]
      > > Counter weight shaft 2kgs. [4.4lbs.]
      > > Total: 29.5kgs. [64.9lbs]
      > > Counter weights 8.0 x 2 w/double locks
      > > Polar finder Illuminated, built-in w/3' accuracy until 2040
      > > Drive system 240pps quartz controlled stepper motors
      > > High speed 500x @ 24v/250x @ 12v
      > > Accuracy ±3.5"
      > >
      > > Can be used with J wooden tripods and NJP adjustable metal
      tripod

      > > TSM0400 List: $9295.00

      Service.

      > --- [This E-mail scanned for viruses courtesy of Netslyder, Inc.
      (http://www.netslyder.net)]

      6/3/2005

    • Art Ciampi (Texas Nautical Repair )
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
        Possibly. It is under investigation at the moment.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
          Brother:

          You can see from this question that if the mount had PEC it would sell better.

          You must make E.T. and Dr. Oya aware of the great disadvantage it is not to have PEC on Takahashi mounts.

          I know you favor it, but this will be good ammunition for providing the necessary feature on Takahashi mounts.

          I replied by saying that PEC is under investigation, which is the truth.

          Art

        • eja24601
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi Art,

            Consider this an additional request for Takahashi to add PEC to
            their mounts. It will be even nicer if it (PEC) can be an add-on to
            mounts already in the hands of customers :)

            Eric

            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas
            Nautical Repair \)" <artc@t...> wrote:
            > Brother:
            >
            > You can see from this question that if the mount had PEC it would
            sell better.

            > You must make E.T. and Dr. Oya aware of the great disadvantage it
            is not to have PEC on Takahashi mounts.

            > I know you favor it, but this will be good ammunition for
            providing the necessary feature on Takahashi mounts.

            > I replied by saying that PEC is under investigation, which is the
            truth.

            > Art

          • martin_hopewell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
              Oooops! :O)

              BTW, what's the solution for adjustment at latitudes greater than 50
              degrees (like most of the UK, for example)? I trust it doesn't involve
              having chunks cut off the thing as with the NJP...

              Best

              Martin Hopewell

            • Mark Moulder
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                Wow,

                This talk about PEC really is unnecessary, IMO. If anyone has ever used a
                TAK mount they know it tracks

                And guides perfectly.

                What would PEC do for an already perfect mount (EM-200) Temma 2????

                Thanks

                BTW, what's the solution for adjustment at latitudes greater than 50
                degrees (like most of the UK, for example)? I trust it doesn't involve
                having chunks cut off the thing as with the NJP...

                Best

                Martin Hopewell

                --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas
                Nautical Repair \)" <artc@t...> wrote:
                > Brother:
                >
                > You can see from this question that if the mount had PEC it would
                sell better.

                > You must make E.T. and Dr. Oya aware of the great disadvantage it is
                not to have PEC on Takahashi mounts.

                > I know you favor it, but this will be good ammunition for providing
                the necessary feature on Takahashi mounts.

                > I replied by saying that PEC is under investigation, which is the truth.
                >
                > Art
                >
                > Art

                Inc.(http://www.netslyder.net)] <http://www.netslyder.net)%5d>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bruce Prager
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Nothing tracks perfectly. Most Em200's average over 6, and with modern
                  software such as Pempro, that could easily be reduced to < 2. At those
                  levels, unguided exposures become real possiblities and guided are
                  virtually assured to be flawless.
                  For the cost of a PEC chip, why would you not want to be able to address
                  such an easily correctable error that mount's 1/3 the price of Tak's do
                  so routinely.

                  Tak has solved the hard part - making extremely high precision
                  mechanicals. IMO, to ignore the easy part makes no sense.

                • eja24601
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
                    To add to Bruce's post, this topic happened to be covered with some
                    depth in the ccdnewastro Yahoo group.

                    I am very happy with my EM200, don't get me wrong. Adding the
                    ability for PEC, especially with PEC correction software like PemPro
                    now in the market, can only give Takahashi mounts that extra edge
                    for that extra piece of perfection (smaller FWHM?) that CCD imagers
                    (like me) need/want.

                    Eric

                    --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Prager

                    Date:
                    > > > 6/3/2005

                    Terms of
                    > > Service.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- [This E-mail scanned for viruses courtesy of Netslyder,
                    > > Inc.(http://www.netslyder.net)] <http://www.netslyder.net%29%5D>
                    > > <http://www.netslyder.net)%5d <http://www.netslyder.net%29%5d>>

                    6/3/2005

                    > > _____
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    Terms of
                    > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                  • APM-Telescopes Markus Ludes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2005
                      Bob

                      if the EM 400 is as accurate as the NJP, you don't need a PEC. The NJP 160 which I know have been tested, have had perdiodic errors between non meashurable error and max 3 arcsec, you won't need it better

                      markus
                      When you say "No PEC at the moment" are you implying that PEC will be
                      added later?

                      Bob

                      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas
                      Nautical Repair \)" <artc@t...> wrote:
                      > 1. The EM-400 uses the same base as the NJP.
                      > 2. No PEC at the moment
                      > 3. These will ship in August
                      >
                      > Art

                    • jediwebdude
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                        Art,

                        I really like the 360 degree rotating base. Wish Tak (or Robin
                        Casady...hint, hint) would come out with a retro-fitting 360 degree
                        rotating solution for the NJP. I am pleased to see that the EM400 will
                        break down into more manageable and portable components.

                        BUT, I don't see how an 85 lb capacity on a $9,295 mount is a
                        competitive solution, especially since AP makes the 1200 model for
                        $9,400 and it has a 140 lb capacity (and also breaks down into
                        portable parts, plus has hand-held goto controller). I guess I was
                        expecting at least 120 lbs capacity on the EM400. Disclaimer: this
                        isn't a criticism toward Art or TNR...this is aimed at Takahashi for
                        not fully understanding the market.

                        When you tell Tak that folk are expecting PEC, let them know that
                        increased load capacity is also of importance to the U.S. market (I'm
                        assuming here that I am speaking on behalf of U.S. Takahashi users).

                        -Phil Jones (happy NJP Temma 2 owner)

                        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Art Ciampi \(Texas
                        Nautical Repair \)" <artc@t...> wrote:

                        > The new EM-400 mount has been developed to fill in the gap between
                        the NJP and larger EM-500 mount. This new mount has been designed to
                        carry an 85 lb load.

                        > This mount disassembles into three sections, the R.A. Dec assembly,
                        the base assembly and the counter weight shaft. This reduces the
                        heaviest part to 22.3kgs [49 lbs.] lighter than the weight of the NJP
                        equatorial head and makes transportation to remote sites easier.

                        > The entire mount rotates 360? on its base for easier set up. This
                        allows the tripod to be set in the most secure position.

                        > TSM0400 List: $9295.00
                      • Larry Geary
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2005
                          Pardon my ignorance, but...

                          Since anyone doing CCD imaging already has a computer at the scope, couldn't
                          that computer record and play back the necessary corrections to the mount?
                          Why is a built-in PEC system needed instead?

                          --Larry