Re: Autoguider cable question

  • eja24601
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi Pawel!

      Congratulations on the ST-10!

      Here are your options:
      Autoguider documents:

      Takahashi RJ-11 Cable (I bought this one)
      http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=&pid=4608&m=

      Or, you can try this:
      SBIG Port Splitter (not sure if this will work, though I have no
      reason to believe it won't)
      http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?pid=8521

      HTH,
      Eric

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Pawel T. Lancucki"
      <pawel.lancucki@p...> wrote:

      > Hi Tak and SBIG users,
      >
      > A quick question - I have just purchased ST-10 to complement my
      FSQ and
      > EM200 Temma. A while ago, when purchasing EM200, I got an "SBIG
      autoguider
      > cable" with DB-9 on one end and Mini-Din 6 on another. The Mini-
      Din mates
      > to Temma autoguide input and DB-9 mates to ST-10 output -
      PROVIDING I am
      > not using CFW-8. If using CFW, the output is RJ-11. Where can I
      find a
      > RJ-11 to Mini-Din 6 cable for selfguiding of my mount with ST-10
      and CFW?
      > Anybody has a pinnout drawing to make a custom cable?
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Pawel Lancucki
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hi Pawel

        Try the <Files> section of the Tak Group at
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UncensoredTakGroup/files/>
        File named "Tak Guider Adapter.doc - does that help? It provides details
        for STV/CFW-8 Guiding Adapter for Takahashi TTL Input Mounts

        Cheers

        Dennis

        _____

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
          Dennis: i would use the short ribbon cable that came
          with the ST10 for all your accesories and definitely
          don't plug the 9-pin connecter with the 6-pin din
          connecter on the other end directly into the st10
          port. use the ribbon cable with the 4 9-pin
          connectors. Clinton

          --- Dennis <nardes@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pawel
          >
          > Try the <Files> section of the Tak Group at

          > and have look at the
          > File named "Tak Guider Adapter.doc - does that help?
          > It provides details
          > for STV/CFW-8 Guiding Adapter for Takahashi TTL
          > Input Mounts
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Dennis
          >
          > _____

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/
        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
            Hi Clinton

            Thanks for that, although I don't have an ST-10, I was just responding to
            Pawel's CFW-8 query and I happened to notice the file describing the CFW-8
            in the Files section. As an side, I just took delivery of an EM-200 Temma-2
            and have made an auto guider cable for my ST7E which I have yet to try out
            (I don't have a CFW-8 either - sigh). If I have any problems, I'll be back
            :-)

            Cheers

            Dennis

            _____

            --- Dennis <nardes@...> wrote:

            > Hi Pawel
            >
            > Try the <Files> section of the Tak Group at

            > and have look at the
            > File named "Tak Guider Adapter.doc - does that help?
            > It provides details
            > for STV/CFW-8 Guiding Adapter for Takahashi TTL
            > Input Mounts
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Dennis
            >
            > _____

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Clinton Van Noy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
              Hi Dennis: the same rule applys to the ST7. i have the
              NJP mount and plugged the nine pin autoguider
              connector directly into my ST2000xcm port and the NJP
              drive electronics was making a high pitched noise and
              the drive was moving in RA all by its self. using the
              ribbon cable fixed that. Clinton

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                Hello, Clinton

                Hmm, you have me worried now. I purchased my ST7 used and it did not come
                with a ribbon cable. I made a cable for the EM-200 based on the pin out in
                the <Files> section, in the <Folder> titled "Cabling". In that Folder I
                followed the diagram titled "auto guiding cable.doc" which gives the
                following:

                DB9 Tak
                Male mini-DIN
                1
                2
                3 - 2
                4 - 4
                5 - 6
                6 - 3
                7 - 5
                8
                9

                Can any group member advise me if this is still correct for my later model
                EM-200 Temma-2, or has something changed since the original file was posted
                in July 2002? I would hate to damage the electronics on my mount.

                Thanks

                Dennis

                PS - I previously used the ST7 with a (different) home made auto guider
                cable for my Vixen GPDX mount so I am familiar with its auto guiding
                operations.

                _____

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Clinton,

                  Was the camera plugged in and running at the time? For USB SBIG
                  cameras (definitely ST-series, not sure about the others), the
                  camera must be plugged in and running (i.e., connected to the
                  controlling PC, fan running) before connecting the autoguider cable,
                  otherwise what you describe will happen. Essentially, this closes
                  some circuit that starts running the RA of the mount exactly as you
                  describe.

                  I don't have the ribbon cable for either of my ST cameras (one was
                  purchased as an "i" series camera - no guide chip, the other was
                  purchased used and did not come with one). I used the ST-7 guider
                  cable that came with my EM200 mount for autoguiding before I got a
                  CFW-8a, and the RJ-11 cable when I got the CFW-8a. The SBIG port
                  splitter serves the same purpose as the ribbon cable AFAIK, with a
                  sturdier interface.

                  Eric

                  --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Clinton Van Noy
                  <gus312001@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Dennis: the same rule applys to the ST7. i have the
                  > NJP mount and plugged the nine pin autoguider
                  > connector directly into my ST2000xcm port and the NJP
                  > drive electronics was making a high pitched noise and
                  > the drive was moving in RA all by its self. using the
                  > ribbon cable fixed that. Clinton
                  >
                  > --- Dennis <nardes@o...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Clinton
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for that, although I don't have an ST-10, I
                  > > was just responding to
                  > > Pawel's CFW-8 query and I happened to notice the
                  > > file describing the CFW-8
                  > > in the Files section. As an side, I just took
                  > > delivery of an EM-200 Temma-2
                  > > and have made an auto guider cable for my ST7E which
                  > > I have yet to try out
                  > > (I don't have a CFW-8 either - sigh). If I have any
                  > > problems, I'll be back
                  > > :-)
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > Dennis
                  > >
                  > > _____

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Hi Dennis: if that pinout is exactly the same as the
                    autoguider cable that came with the NJP temma2 mount
                    you will witness the same stuff as my mount did.
                    didn't damage my electronics but it didn't sound to
                    good.Sbig has those ribbon cables with 4 9-pin
                    connectors on it. there is a new one with the 4
                    connectors but mounted inside a plastic box. $140
                    Clinton

                    === message truncated ===

                    __________________________________
                    Discover Yahoo!
                    http://discover.yahoo.com/
                  • Clinton Van Noy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Hi Eric: i have the usb st2000xcm and hooking up the
                      autoguider cable after everything is powered up
                      worries me a little.will hooking up everthing first an
                      powering up the camera and computer first and then
                      powering up the njp mount achieve the same thing? when
                      i heard that noise i put the ribbon cable on right
                      away so you are probably right about the usb cameras
                      needing to be powered up first.

                      --- eja24601 <eja24601@...> wrote:

                      > Clinton,
                      >
                      > Was the camera plugged in and running at the time?
                      > For USB SBIG
                      > cameras (definitely ST-series, not sure about the
                      > others), the
                      > camera must be plugged in and running (i.e.,
                      > connected to the
                      > controlling PC, fan running) before connecting the
                      > autoguider cable,
                      > otherwise what you describe will happen.
                      > Essentially, this closes
                      > some circuit that starts running the RA of the mount
                      > exactly as you
                      > describe.
                      >
                      > I don't have the ribbon cable for either of my ST
                      > cameras (one was
                      > purchased as an "i" series camera - no guide chip,
                      > the other was
                      > purchased used and did not come with one). I used
                      > the ST-7 guider
                      > cable that came with my EM200 mount for autoguiding
                      > before I got a
                      > CFW-8a, and the RJ-11 cable when I got the CFW-8a.
                      > The SBIG port
                      > splitter serves the same purpose as the ribbon cable
                      > AFAIK, with a
                      > sturdier interface.
                      >
                      > Eric
                      >
                      > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Clinton
                      > Van Noy
                      > <gus312001@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hi Dennis: the same rule applys to the ST7. i have
                      > the
                      > > NJP mount and plugged the nine pin autoguider
                      > > connector directly into my ST2000xcm port and the
                      > NJP
                      > > drive electronics was making a high pitched noise
                      > and
                      > > the drive was moving in RA all by its self. using
                      > the
                      > > ribbon cable fixed that. Clinton
                      > >
                      > > --- Dennis <nardes@o...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hi Clinton
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for that, although I don't have an ST-10,
                      > > > was just responding to
                      > > > Pawel's CFW-8 query and I happened to notice the
                      > > > file describing the CFW-8
                      > > > in the Files section. As an side, I just took
                      > > > delivery of an EM-200 Temma-2
                      > > > and have made an auto guider cable for my ST7E
                      > which
                      > > > I have yet to try out
                      > > > (I don't have a CFW-8 either - sigh). If I have
                      > any
                      > > > problems, I'll be back
                      > > > :-)
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers
                      > > >
                      > > > Dennis
                      > > >
                      > > > _____

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                      Discover Yahoo!
                      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
                    • JM
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                        Hi Guys,

                        I don't know if this helps but I have a parallel port 7ME and an NJP
                        with Temma PC and don't have these problems. I have had the connecters
                        apart and the difference between the D9 and RJ25 is that the white +5V
                        is a no connection in the RJ25 and hot on the D9. The movement and or
                        buzzing sounds to me like the +5V is in the mix. The reason I believe
                        you should only use the RJ25 for autoguider ports and the splitters for
                        the replay box. I have the wiring diagrams if you need them email me. I
                        don't know how to post them. I am also not Tak support so please use
                        salt.

                        John A.Maher

                        --- eja24601 <eja24601@...> wrote:

                        > Clinton,
                        >
                        > Was the camera plugged in and running at the time?
                        > For USB SBIG
                        > cameras (definitely ST-series, not sure about the
                        > others), the
                        > camera must be plugged in and running (i.e.,
                        > connected to the
                        > controlling PC, fan running) before connecting the
                        > autoguider cable,
                        > otherwise what you describe will happen.
                        > Essentially, this closes
                        > some circuit that starts running the RA of the mount
                        > exactly as you
                        > describe.
                        >
                        > I don't have the ribbon cable for either of my ST
                        > cameras (one was
                        > purchased as an "i" series camera - no guide chip,
                        > the other was
                        > purchased used and did not come with one). I used
                        > the ST-7 guider
                        > cable that came with my EM200 mount for autoguiding
                        > before I got a
                        > CFW-8a, and the RJ-11 cable when I got the CFW-8a.
                        > The SBIG port
                        > splitter serves the same purpose as the ribbon cable
                        > AFAIK, with a
                        > sturdier interface.
                        >
                        > Eric
                        >
                        > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, Clinton
                        > Van Noy
                        > <gus312001@y...> wrote:
                        > > Hi Dennis: the same rule applys to the ST7. i have
                        > the
                        > > NJP mount and plugged the nine pin autoguider
                        > > connector directly into my ST2000xcm port and the
                        > NJP
                        > > drive electronics was making a high pitched noise
                        > and
                        > > the drive was moving in RA all by its self. using
                        > the
                        > > ribbon cable fixed that. Clinton
                        > >
                        > > --- Dennis <nardes@o...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Hi Clinton
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for that, although I don't have an ST-10,
                        > > > was just responding to
                        > > > Pawel's CFW-8 query and I happened to notice the
                        > > > file describing the CFW-8
                        > > > in the Files section. As an side, I just took
                        > > > delivery of an EM-200 Temma-2
                        > > > and have made an auto guider cable for my ST7E
                        > which
                        > > > I have yet to try out
                        > > > (I don't have a CFW-8 either - sigh). If I have
                        > any
                        > > > problems, I'll be back
                        > > > :-)
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers
                        > > >
                        > > > Dennis
                        > > >
                        > > > _____

                        === message truncated ===

                        __________________________________
                        Discover Yahoo!
                        Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it
                        out!
                        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        be>

                      • eja24601
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                          > Hi Eric: i have the usb st2000xcm and hooking up the
                          > autoguider cable after everything is powered up
                          > worries me a little.

                          I know. That worried me, too!

                          >will hooking up everthing first an
                          > powering up the camera and computer first and then
                          > powering up the njp mount achieve the same thing? when
                          > i heard that noise i put the ribbon cable on right
                          > away so you are probably right about the usb cameras
                          > needing to be powered up first.

                          Here's my sequence:
                          1. Connect all cables (computer, camera, mount) except the
                          autoguider cable (I usually plug the one end of the autoguider to
                          the mount, but leave the other end - the RJ-11 end - off the camera).

                          2. Power up the laptop. Upon its booting up, the camera does its
                          thing (downloading firmware, booting up, powering up - my cue is the
                          fan starting up).

                          3. Connect the RJ-11 end of the autoguider to the camera.

                          4. Power up the mount.

                          No trouble with that sequence so far. When powering down, I start
                          with the mount as well. I've heard that weird sound at least once,
                          when I deviated from my power down sequence and (somehow) unplugged
                          the camera before turning the mount off. It sure is a sick sound.

                          Eric
                        • Mark Moulder
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                            I've heard that noise too. Does that noise hurt anything?

                            Thanks

                            > Hi Eric: i have the usb st2000xcm and hooking up the
                            > autoguider cable after everything is powered up
                            > worries me a little.

                            I know. That worried me, too!

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                              Hi Mark: It sounds like a capacitor charging up to me
                              and as far as i know it doesn't hurt anything. But as
                              soon as i heard it i shut it down and used the
                              RJ25(?). Cinton

                              __________________________________
                              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                            • Clinton Van Noy
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                Hi JM: So are you saying you shouldn't plug the D9
                                directly into the Sbig guider port? because that's
                                what i thought was causing the high pitched noise that
                                was getting even higher pitched as time went by.
                                another user thought it was caused by the camera not
                                being powered up first. Clinton

                                === message truncated ===

                                __________________________________
                                Yahoo! Mail
                              • JM
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                  Hi Clifton,

                                  What I meant was when you use the D9 on the back of the camera (whether
                                  directly or with a splitter) you will have 5 volts on one wire. The 5
                                  volts is there to provide power for the Sbig relay box. Now if that 5
                                  volts goes somewhere it's not supposed to because it is connected to a
                                  pin that makes a connection at you mounts Autoguider port, you will have
                                  a problem with you mount. A noise or improper movement is something you
                                  would definitely see or hear with Voltage at the wrong spot. It sounds
                                  like some people are making up their own cables and reversing the wiring
                                  order.

                                  If you use the D9 to RJ25 adapter that comes with the camera or the one
                                  on the CFW the 5 volt wire is not connected on the RJ25 side and there
                                  is no chance of that 5 volts reaching your mount.

                                  John A.Maher

                                  --- JM <johntwi01@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Guys,
                                  >
                                  > I don't know if this helps but I have a parallel
                                  > port 7ME and an NJP
                                  > with Temma PC and don't have these problems. I have
                                  > had the connecters
                                  > apart and the difference between the D9 and RJ25 is
                                  > that the white +5V
                                  > is a no connection in the RJ25 and hot on the D9.
                                  > The movement and or
                                  > buzzing sounds to me like the +5V is in the mix. The
                                  > reason I believe
                                  > you should only use the RJ25 for autoguider ports
                                  > and the splitters for
                                  > the replay box. I have the wiring diagrams if you
                                  > need them email me. I
                                  > don't know how to post them. I am also not Tak
                                  > support so please use
                                  > salt.
                                  >

                                  > John A.Maher

                                  === message truncated ===

                                  __________________________________
                                  Yahoo! Mail

                                  _____

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  be>

                                • Clinton Van Noy
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                    Hi JM: Thanks and I do believe that hot pin was
                                    causing the high pitched sound. Clinton

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    __________________________________
                                    Discover Yahoo!
                                  • eja24601
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 3, 2005
                                      This has been mentioned in either the SBIG or CCD-Newastro Yahoo
                                      groups in the past. I don't quite remember the exact cause of it. I
                                      don't think it hurts anything, but I definitely don't let it run too
                                      long.

                                      <gus312001@y...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Mark: It sounds like a capacitor charging up to me
                                      > and as far as i know it doesn't hurt anything. But as
                                      > soon as i heard it i shut it down and used the
                                      > RJ25(?). Cinton
                                      >
                                      > --- Mark Moulder <mmoulder@s...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I've heard that noise too. Does that noise hurt
                                      > > anything?
                                      > >

                                      > > Thanks

                                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                                      > > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      > > the Yahoo! Terms of
                                      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.

                                      > > removed]
                                      > >

                                      > __________________________________
                                      > Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                      > http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                                    • brianwilliambrown
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 5, 2005
                                        As the author of the below referenced document, I can tell you it
                                        works fine with a late model ST-10XME and ST-2000XM with CFW-8a. I
                                        would have not posted the document if I didn't thoroughly test it.
                                        Neither of my cameras came with a "ribbon cable" so I don't see how
                                        that is an option.

                                        The SBIG guider TTL outputs "float" and you may see erratic mount
                                        movement until the camera is powered.

                                        This is a < $3 solution and it allows you to use the stock cables
                                        that come with the mount and camera. You can try to make your own
                                        cable but you run the risk of getting something wrong. I found this
                                        to be the simplest and most cost effective solution. You can find
                                        these adapters at most eletronic stores or on-line at
                                        (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/2402370#detailed)

                                        -Brian

                                        <gus312001@y...> wrote:
                                        > Dennis: i would use the short ribbon cable that came
                                        > with the ST10 for all your accesories and definitely
                                        > don't plug the 9-pin connecter with the 6-pin din
                                        > connecter on the other end directly into the st10
                                        > port. use the ribbon cable with the 4 9-pin
                                        > connectors. Clinton
                                        >
                                        > --- Dennis <nardes@o...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Hi Pawel
                                        > >
                                        > > Try the <Files> section of the Tak Group at

                                        > > and have look at the
                                        > > File named "Tak Guider Adapter.doc - does that help?
                                        > > It provides details
                                        > > for STV/CFW-8 Guiding Adapter for Takahashi TTL
                                        > > Input Mounts
                                        > >
                                        > > Cheers
                                        > >
                                        > > Dennis
                                        > >
                                        > > _____

                                      • Pawel T. Lancucki
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 8, 2005
                                          Hi Gentlemen,

                                          I was off-line for few days and in the meantime all these technical advices
                                          materialized on this group. Thank you! I think I will use the wiring
                                          diagrams and solder my own cable.

                                          Best regards,

                                          Pawel

                                          PS I managed to get my first image using the old relay box - leftover from
                                          my Starlight Express HX916 imaging setup. I used EM200, FSQ106 and
                                          ST-10XME. Focusing by Robofocus (btw, I designed and made a "quick-release"
                                          adapter to attach Robofocus to my mount, will post details in some time)
                                          and guiding by Maxim DL. It is 65 min 1x1 using R filter - at this time of
                                          a year we do get here so short nights that - after I resolved some initial
                                          quirks - I got just one hour of dark sky. First light can be seen here:
                                          http://www.pbase.com/plancucki/pl_astrophoto. Nothing special (on this
                                          group :-) but I am happy it worked the first night out.