Re: Temma DC Converter - 12 volts to 24 volts--Got Mine!

  • wmrroy
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
      I received my 12V to 24V converter from Chuck Faranda today. I
      mentioned to Chuck that I wanted two 24 volt cables to come out of
      mine to power both my mount and my Temma Hand Controller. I was
      really just asking him about how to get into the converter so that I
      could modify it when it arrived. Well, guess what? He did the mod
      before he shipped it. What a great guy!

      I have a 120VAC to 24VDC supply for using my EM-200 Temma 2 mount
      here at the house and I also have a couple of 12V batteries wired in
      series for field usage, but the 12VDC to 24VDC converter gives me a
      lightweight solution for running high speed off my car battery when
      I travel locally to use the scope for just a few hours. It is a
      steal at $65.00 shipped. I've been slewing with it the last few
      hours and it works great.

      No, I am not Chuck's marketing arm, just very happy with my small
      purchase.

      Randy
    • fpantal
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
        Randy,

        I have an EM-10 Temma PC. Would your modified version work for my
        type of mount too?

        Fred

        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wmrroy" <wmrroy@y...>
        wrote:

        > I received my 12V to 24V converter from Chuck Faranda today. I
        > mentioned to Chuck that I wanted two 24 volt cables to come out of
        > mine to power both my mount and my Temma Hand Controller. I was
        > really just asking him about how to get into the converter so that
        > could modify it when it arrived. Well, guess what? He did the mod
        > before he shipped it. What a great guy!
        >
        > I have a 120VAC to 24VDC supply for using my EM-200 Temma 2 mount
        > here at the house and I also have a couple of 12V batteries wired
        in
        > series for field usage, but the 12VDC to 24VDC converter gives me a
        > lightweight solution for running high speed off my car battery when
        > I travel locally to use the scope for just a few hours. It is a
        > steal at $65.00 shipped. I've been slewing with it the last few
        > hours and it works great.
        >
        > No, I am not Chuck's marketing arm, just very happy with my small
        > purchase.
        >
        > Randy
      • fpantal
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
          Randy,

          Are you referring to the extra $500+ Temma Hand Controller? I only
          have the stock EM-10 controller. I just need to know if I would
          benefit from your modified converter by Chuck.

          wrote:

          > I received my 12V to 24V converter from Chuck Faranda today. I
          > mentioned to Chuck that I wanted two 24 volt cables to come out of
          > mine to power both my mount and my Temma Hand Controller. I was
          > really just asking him about how to get into the converter so that
          > could modify it when it arrived. Well, guess what? He did the mod
          > before he shipped it. What a great guy!
          >
          > I have a 120VAC to 24VDC supply for using my EM-200 Temma 2 mount
          > here at the house and I also have a couple of 12V batteries wired
          in
          > series for field usage, but the 12VDC to 24VDC converter gives me a
          > lightweight solution for running high speed off my car battery when
          > I travel locally to use the scope for just a few hours. It is a
          > steal at $65.00 shipped. I've been slewing with it the last few
          > hours and it works great.
          >
          > No, I am not Chuck's marketing arm, just very happy with my small
          > purchase.
          >
          > Randy
        • wmrroy
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
            Fred,

            I don't think most users will need theirs modified. The Temma Hand
            Controller (yep, the $500+ one) requires you to run off the same
            voltage as the Temma Mount. The THC only needs about 150ma to
            operate, so the modification only ups the power requirement about
            6%. Most folks are using a laptop or PDA for their controller and do
            not need this other low power 24V connection.

            My main point was simply how helpful Chuck was. We need those
            amateurs like Chuck who are willing to dig out the solutions to our
            our needs that have such a low volume that the bigger players are
            not interested in providing. This is one of those products.

            Randy

            --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "fpantal"
            <cosmicstring1011@s...> wrote:

            > Randy,
            >
            > Are you referring to the extra $500+ Temma Hand Controller? I
            only
            > have the stock EM-10 controller. I just need to know if I would
            > benefit from your modified converter by Chuck.
            >
            > Fred
            >
            > --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wmrroy" <wmrroy@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I received my 12V to 24V converter from Chuck Faranda today. I
            > > mentioned to Chuck that I wanted two 24 volt cables to come out
            of
            > > mine to power both my mount and my Temma Hand Controller. I was
            > > really just asking him about how to get into the converter so
            that
            > > could modify it when it arrived. Well, guess what? He did the
            mod
            > > before he shipped it. What a great guy!
            > >
            > > I have a 120VAC to 24VDC supply for using my EM-200 Temma 2
            mount
            > > here at the house and I also have a couple of 12V batteries
            wired
            > in
            > > series for field usage, but the 12VDC to 24VDC converter gives
            me a
            > > lightweight solution for running high speed off my car battery
            when
            > > I travel locally to use the scope for just a few hours. It is a
            > > steal at $65.00 shipped. I've been slewing with it the last few
            > > hours and it works great.
            > >
            > > No, I am not Chuck's marketing arm, just very happy with my
            small
            > > purchase.
            > >
            > > Randy
          • fpantal
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2004
              Thanks Randy. You're so right...like why didn't Takahashi
              engineering come up with something like this? I happened to stumble
              upon Chuck's product while surfing the web for a solution a few
              months ago. My vote for Chuck and I will order one today!

              Fred P.