Re: FS-102 Reducer confusion

  • bttek2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello Dave.. Your dealer is correct in that Takahashi no longe makes
      the old style reducer and now has the TOA130R which works on the
      102/128/152 and of course the TOA-130. I believe with the reducer in
      place, you would be at aprox F5.8.

      Regards,

      Brian D. Feldman
      BT Technologies, Inc
      305.652.3115

      --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "theweaveastro" <tak@t...>
      wrote:
      > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
      > December:
      > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
      >
      > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
      > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
      >
      > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
      > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
      > happy with the additional cost!
      >
      > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
      > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
      > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
      > Anacortes or both.
      >
      > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
      > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
      >
      > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
      > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in
      stock?

      > Frustrated,
      > -Dave
    • carbontrebles
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Dave,

        At the risk of asking the obvious, have you called Texas Nautical
        Repair? A few months ago I wanted several items that did not seem to
        be stocked by any one dealer so I checked TNR and they had it all in
        stock.

        Joe

        wrote:
        > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
        > December:
        > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
        >
        > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
        > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
        >
        > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
        > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
        > happy with the additional cost!
        >
        > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
        > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
        > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
        > Anacortes or both.
        >
        > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
        > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
        >
        > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
        > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in
        stock?

        > Frustrated,
        > -Dave
      • theweaveastro
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          Not yet, I didn't see the email yesterday until it was too late too
          call. Part of my point is that I should be able to go to a web site
          somewhere and be able to see those itesm that are discontinued. For
          items that are discontinued, there should be a map of the items that
          replace them.

          Part of my frustration is having to wait two months to find this
          out. I don't know who is at fault, but it seems like customers
          should be treated with a little more respect than this.

          -Dave

          --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "carbontrebles"
          <carbontrebles@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Dave,
          >
          > At the risk of asking the obvious, have you called Texas Nautical
          > Repair? A few months ago I wanted several items that did not seem
          > be stocked by any one dealer so I checked TNR and they had it all
          in
          > stock.
          >
          > Joe

        • Herb York
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
            Dave,
            You are also correct that Takahashi is making a mistake in not making the FS reducers.
            Maybe Art can shed light on why it is now "necessary" to buy a reducer at higher cost from the TOA line. I am pretty sure they still know how to make the FS reducers and their are hundreds of FS scope without reducers out there.
            Thank you
            Herb
            Anacortes

            wrote:
            > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
            > December:
            > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
            >
            > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
            > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
            >
            > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
            > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
            > happy with the additional cost!
            >
            > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
            > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
            > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
            > Anacortes or both.
            >
            > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
            > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
            >
            > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
            > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in
            stock?

            > Frustrated,
            > -Dave

          • mikenewton
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
              Dave,
              If your gonna do ccd imaging in the chip size close to the SBIG ST10
              range, get the Astro Physics .67x reducer. At the f8 focal speed of the 102,
              you'll only get .73x reduction. I know this sounds weird, but I had a talk
              with Roland of AP about it, and that's the way it is. But the with the AP
              reducer, you'll get a reduced f-speed of 5.9

              > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
              > December:
              > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
              >
              > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
              > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
              >
              > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
              > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
              > happy with the additional cost!
              >
              > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
              > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
              > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
              > Anacortes or both.
              >
              > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
              > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
              >
              > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
              > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in stock?
              >
              > Frustrated,
              > -Dave
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • craig_oz_land
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
                It looks like a 2.7" reducer. I suspect it would be identical to the
                previous FS102/128 reducer. I have an FCT100 reducer which appears
                the same to me and was told by the dealer was identical. They all
                have the same compression ratio of about 0.75.

                Maybe Art would know more but I can't see the justifcation in the
                increased price.

                The fact that the FS and TOA are different designs won't affect them
                when using the reducer. Both scopes are optimised without the reducer
                so any abberations the reducer introduces should be the same in both
                scopes.

                Cheers, Craig

                wrote:
                > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
                > December:
                > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
                >
                > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
                > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
                >
                > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
                > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
                > happy with the additional cost!
                >
                > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
                > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
                > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
                > Anacortes or both.
                >
                > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
                > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
                >
                > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
                > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in
                stock?

                > Frustrated,
                > -Dave
              • craig_oz_land
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Oh BTW Dave. If you are interested in my FCT100 reducer I may sell
                  it. I don't think I will ever do photographic work so I probably
                  won't need it. Might wait for the Aussie dollar to go back down a
                  little first ;>)

                  Cheers, Craig.
                • Herb York
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Your FCT reducer is 4" - his FS 102 is 2.7"
                    You reducer sold for $1000 +/-

                    Herb
                    ATWB

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
                      The original FC-100 reducer was a doublet. The FCT-100 is a triplet reducer and was made in small quantities. This is why there is such a price difference.

                      Art

                      wrote:
                      > I ordered the following for my FS-102 back in the beginning of
                      > December:
                      > Takahashi f/8 to f/5.9 Reducer for FS-102/FS128
                      >
                      > Anacortes is now saying that they have the following for me:
                      > Takahashi 2.7"/4" Reducer for TOA-130 for about $150.00 more!
                      >
                      > The TOA is a triplet, vs. my FS-102 being a doublet. I thought
                      > reducers had to be matched to the objective lens? I am also not
                      > happy with the additional cost!
                      >
                      > I have had this piece on order for 2 months. While I like the
                      > Takahashi products in general, I am starting to feel like it is not
                      > worth the hassle. I don't know if the problem is with Takahashi,
                      > Anacortes or both.
                      >
                      > If the TOA reducer is the correct one for the FS-102, what is the
                      > f/ratio of the FS-102 when the reducer is being utilized.
                      >
                      > Is there a non-Tak reducer that will work with the FS-102? Does
                      > anyone know a dealer who might have the FS-102/FS128 reducer in
                      stock?

                      > Frustrated,
                      > -Dave

                      ---

                    • craig_oz_land
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                        My mistake. It is a FC100 reducer F5.9.

                        --- In UncensoredTakGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Herb York" <herb@b...>
                        wrote:
                        > Your FCT reducer is 4" - his FS 102 is 2.7"
                        > You reducer sold for $1000 +/-
                        >
                        > Herb
                        > ATWB

                        Service.