Alnitak a doble star wht in all the images does it not show?

  • AA Johnah Fish Estates
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      Clear Day
      While taking exposures of Alnitak and Flame and Horsehead I noticed that Alnitak was a double star.
      Why in all of the images that I see of this region does it not show up this way?

      Doing the following image Alnitak shows up as a double
      Did I do something wrong??

      250 min Ha data 10nm filter ( done during the full moon and clear of course)
      Tak FSQ
      SBIG 8e

      http://web.tampabay.rr.com/galaxyquest/CCD%20Images/IC434Ha.jpg

      Please let me know
      Thank you

      Mark

    • Jean/Mike Sutherland
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hi Mark,

        Burnhams has Alnitak as a triple. The close pair are magnitudes 1.9 and 5.5,
        separation 2.6", PA 164. The third component which is probably not a true
        physical member of the system is a 10th mag object, 57.6" distant, PA 10.

        Hope this helps,
        Mike