Friends of Pittsburg/Save Our Hills

  • baypointmike
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 6:47 PM

      Friends of Pittsburg/Save Our Hills

      Tonight the Pittsburg City Council sent the gutted crippled Hillside Development regulations back to the planning staff for reworking. Mayor Casey declared the regulations sent up by the Planning Commission were a mess. Not even good enough to try to amend. It was a total repudiation of the Planning Commission's work.

      Over 40 or so Friends of Pittsburg/Save Our Hills members were at the City Council meeting. All but a few stayed until the Council got around to consider the regulations at 9:00 pm. Then 28 members spoke loud and clear that the regulations were a sham. Not one person spoke in favor.

      Councilwoman Nancy Parent offered changes which included lowering the application to 300 feet from the proposed 500 feet and reinstating a 100 foot vertical set back from the ridge lines. She also asked that the voluntary (they were in the guidelines not the ordinance) identification of the ridge lines be moved to the ordinance.

      After Councilman Michael Kee offered additional changes, the Mayor had had enough.  Then they voted to send it back. Now it will go to the Planning Department Staff for reworking. However, now the Planning Commission is out of the loop. Perhaps that was the biggest win of the evening.

      The changes offered by Parent and Kee were a step in the right direction, but more is needed. We will be sending Parent and Kee additional suggestions to strengthen the regulations.
      We will keep you informed how this all plays out.

      Dennis Linsley
      for Friends of Pittsburg/Save Our Hills

      Check the Save Our Hills website for up-to-date information: http://www.saveourhills.org
      To get involved send an email to SaveOurHills@...