Great Communities Collaborative Goes to the White House

  • baypointmike
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009

      The Great Communities Collaborative Goes to the White House

      How the Bay Area's Model for Future Growth Is Inspiring the Nation

      On July 24, 2009 the Great Communities Collaborative (a partnership coordinated by TransForm) impressed White House officials with our regional model for fighting climate change one community at a time by empowering residents to shape future growth where they live so it is more sustainable and meets local needs.

      The San Francisco Foundation, one of the Collaborative's eight core partners, shared our successes in a high-level meeting with White House staff and representatives of the Department of Transportation, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the Environmental Protection Agency.  This conversation is the first in a process of ongoing engagement between regional leaders and White House staff, coordinated by the Funders' Network for Smart Growth.

      The Great Communities Collaborative aims to create a region of vibrant neighborhoods with affordable housing, jobs, shops, and services within walking distance of frequent public transportation service.

      Since 2006, we have worked in 24 communities throughout the Bay Area, winning stronger affordable housing policies, improved community services, and more pedestrian- and bicycle- friendly design. We are excited to see our model spread while we continue to win real change in communities here in the Bay Area.

      To learn more, explore the Great Communities Collaborative on our website or visit www.greatcommunites.org.