Contact Leaders in Obama Administration
- Experts Michael Ettlinger
Vice President for Economic Policy
Michael Ettlinger is the Vice President for Economic Policy at American Progress. Prior to joining the Center he spent six years at the Economic Policy Institute directing the Economic Analysis and Research Network. Previously he was tax policy director for Citizens for Tax Justice and the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy for 11 years. He has also served on the staff of the New York State Assembly.
At the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, Ettlinger was the principal developer of the ITEP Microsimulation Tax Model. This model, uniquely, permits detailed revenue and distributional analysis of federal and state personal income tax, consumption, and property taxes. Also at ITEP and Citizens for Tax Justice Ettlinger authored many reports on tax and economic issues, frequently testified, was widely published, and was often called upon by the media.
At the Economic Policy Institute, Ettlinger focused on regional economic development and state level economic policy. His work included analysis of state minimum wage laws, the role of government in economic growth, public attitudes toward economic policy, and the relative efficacy of alternative state economic policies.
Ettlinger has served on several nonprofit boards, advisory commissions, and study groups.
Ettlinger holds degrees from Cornell University and The American University.
Articles by Michael Ettlinger
- Recommendations for the Public-Private Investment Program, April 9, 2009
- Charities Should Like Higher Tax Rates, April 1, 2009
- Treasury Tries Again, March 23, 2009
- Stay the Course, March 20, 2009
- President Obama's Priorities for the Economy, March 9, 2009
- Drinking to the Budget, February 26, 2009
- A New, Ambitious Course of Action, February 26, 2009
- Goldilocks and the Recovery Act, February 20, 2009
- Recovery Bill Puts a Light at the End of the Tunnel, February 13, 2009
- Ask the Expert: Next Steps in Economic Recovery, February 11, 2009
- Getting the Stimulus Bill Right, February 10, 2009
- A Step Forward, a Stumble Back, February 9, 2009
- Rescuing the American Economy, February 5, 2009
- Corporate Tax Break Puts the Cart Before the Horse, February 5, 2009
- Recovery Plan Offers Needed Change, January 16, 2009
- How to Spend $350 Billion in a First Year of Stimulus and Recovery, December 5, 2008
- Helping the Economy Recover, November 19, 2008
- Paulson's U-Turn, November 13, 2008
- Time for Stabilization, Stimulus, Recovery, and Growth, November 6, 2008
- Can Dismal GDP Numbers Spur Action?, October 30, 2008
- The Climb Gets Steeper, October 3, 2008
- Passing the Rescue Package Isn't Enough, October 3, 2008
- Crazy Talk, October 2, 2008
- Not Done Yet, October 2, 2008
- Rescuing the American Economy, September 30, 2008
- Warning $700 Billion: Handle with Care, September 23, 2008
- Second Stimulus Needed to Create Jobs and Revive Our Economy, September 18, 2008
- Take a Walk on the Supply Side, September 12, 2008
- Feeling the Squeeze: Challenges Facing American Workers, September 11, 2008
- New Census Data Sobering, August 26, 2008