Bright Eyes "The Calendar Hung Itself"

  • Ultragrrrl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      UltraPick of the Day: Bright Eyes "The Calendar Hung Itself"

      Following in the footsteps of balladeers like Morrissey and Nick Drake,
      Bright Eyes is the new lovelorn hero out to prove that he's the one that you
      need to love. Taken from his latest release, Fevers and Mirrors, "The
      Calendar Hung Itself" is an obsessive boys' tale of love. Very obsessive
      actually, but in a really sweet and endearing way. Not in that sort of "I'm
      gonna kill you bitch" kind of way, which is why he's very Moz.

      Sounding nearly like a clear throat Tom Waits, Bright Eyes (who is actually
      named Conor Oberst), tells the truth as it should be told. No holds barred on
      everything he belts out and even manages to make the tune "You Are My
      Sunshine" sound like a tortured cry to get the one that he loves to stay. His
      non-stop prose is incredible and his voice at times reminds me of the Arabic
      tapes my mother used to play for me in the car on our way to visit her
      mother, curdling under the strain of singing.

      It should probably be noted that Conor Oberst is only 20 years old.

      Your only sunshine,
      Ultragrrrl

      PS - Some people will argue that My Bloody Valentine is one of the most
      influential bands to have come around in the past 20 years. How do you feel
      about this? I'd like to know if you agree or disagree and why, in essay form,
      200 words ... no joke. Thanks! (Next week I'll ask the same about the Smiths,
      so start thinking!)