Computers at UConn

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 11:29 AM
      http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/minimum-configuration.html
      The above website lists the minimum specifications for laptops and
      PC's for use at the University of Connecticut School of Law. Note the
      disclaimer:
      "If you already own a PC or laptop, and your system does not meet the
      minimum specifications stated above, please do not go out and buy a
      new system. These are merely recommendations for someone purchasing a
      new system NOW."

      http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/examsoft.html
      This page seems to imply that computer-based exams are not universal.
      A current student's take on this would be most helpful.
    • hoyamvp
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 12:16 PM
        --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott_thompson@b...> wrote:
        > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/minimum-configuration.html
        > The above website lists the minimum specifications for laptops and
        > PC's for use at the University of Connecticut School of Law. Note the
        > disclaimer:
        > "If you already own a PC or laptop, and your system does not meet the
        > minimum specifications stated above, please do not go out and buy a
        > new system. These are merely recommendations for someone purchasing a
        > new system NOW."
        >
        > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/examsoft.html
        > This page seems to imply that computer-based exams are not universal.
        > A current student's take on this would be most helpful.

        Well, I have a PowerBook. There is no way I'm getting rid of it. I
        also just got the new OSX Tiger.

        As for school, from what I understand, you can take exams in the
        computer lab, and if not, I will either borrow a PC notebook, or even
        get a cheap/refurbished one from ebay or something. I figure, I like
        my Mac, and exams aren't coming up until Decemeber, so there's no
        reason to worry about it now.
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 12:21 PM
          Perhaps you could use a PC emulator? Might be worth a try...

          --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "hoyamvp" <mvpepe@g...> wrote:
          > --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott_thompson@b...> wrote:
          > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/minimum-configuration.html
          > > The above website lists the minimum specifications for laptops and
          > > PC's for use at the University of Connecticut School of Law. Note the
          > > disclaimer:
          > > "If you already own a PC or laptop, and your system does not meet the
          > > minimum specifications stated above, please do not go out and buy a
          > > new system. These are merely recommendations for someone purchasing a
          > > new system NOW."
          > >
          > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/examsoft.html
          > > This page seems to imply that computer-based exams are not universal.
          > > A current student's take on this would be most helpful.
          >
          > Well, I have a PowerBook. There is no way I'm getting rid of it. I
          > also just got the new OSX Tiger.
          >
          > As for school, from what I understand, you can take exams in the
          > computer lab, and if not, I will either borrow a PC notebook, or even
          > get a cheap/refurbished one from ebay or something. I figure, I like
          > my Mac, and exams aren't coming up until Decemeber, so there's no
          > reason to worry about it now.
        • Chris Parkin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 12:26 PM
            From what I understand examsoft and pc emulators don't mesh because the point of the exam software is to "lock" you out of your files and only let you use the laptop as a simple word processor. The emulator would allow you to toggle between an unlocked mac os and the locked windows emulation thereby defeating the purpose.

            It's discussed here: http://macintouch.com/marginal09.html (scroll down to law school about 1/4 down).
            Perhaps you could use a PC emulator?  Might be worth a try...

            --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "hoyamvp" <mvpepe@g...> wrote:
            > --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott_thompson@b...> wrote:
            > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/minimum-configuration.html
            > > The above website lists the minimum specifications for laptops and
            > > PC's for use at the University of Connecticut School of Law.  Note the
            > > disclaimer:
            > > "If you already own a PC or laptop, and your system does not meet the
            > > minimum specifications stated above, please do not go out and buy a
            > > new system. These are merely recommendations for someone purchasing a
            > > new system NOW."
            > >
            > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/examsoft.html
            > > This page seems to imply that computer-based exams are not universal.
            > >  A current student's take on this would be most helpful.
            >
            > Well, I have a PowerBook.  There is no way I'm getting rid of it.  I
            > also just got the new OSX Tiger.
            >
            > As for school, from what I understand, you can take exams in the
            > computer lab, and if not, I will either borrow a PC notebook, or even
            > get a cheap/refurbished one from ebay or something.  I figure, I like
            > my Mac, and exams aren't coming up until Decemeber, so there's no
            > reason to worry about it now.

          • Michael Pepe
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 12:31 PM
              no, it is not allowed, although it will work technically I believe, it defeats the purpose of the exam software, because you could get to other parts of your machine during the test.

              On 5/2/05, Scott <scott_thompson@...> wrote:
              Perhaps you could use a PC emulator?  Might be worth a try...

              --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "hoyamvp" <mvpepe@g...> wrote:
              > --- In UconnLaw@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scott_thompson@b...> wrote:
              > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/minimum-configuration.html
              > > The above website lists the minimum specifications for laptops and
              > > PC's for use at the University of Connecticut School of Law.  Note the
              > > disclaimer:
              > > "If you already own a PC or laptop, and your system does not meet the
              > > minimum specifications stated above, please do not go out and buy a
              > > new system. These are merely recommendations for someone purchasing a
              > > new system NOW."
              > >
              > > http://www.law.uconn.edu/infosys/examsoft.html
              > > This page seems to imply that computer-based exams are not universal.
              > >  A current student's take on this would be most helpful.
              >
              > Well, I have a PowerBook.  There is no way I'm getting rid of it.  I
              > also just got the new OSX Tiger.
              >
              > As for school, from what I understand, you can take exams in the
              > computer lab, and if not, I will either borrow a PC notebook, or even
              > get a cheap/refurbished one from ebay or something.  I figure, I like
              > my Mac, and exams aren't coming up until Decemeber, so there's no
              > reason to worry about it now.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              --
              Michael Pepe