RE: I.iguana RE: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Lamp distances with T5 tubes

  • Robert MacCargar
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5, 2013
      Well that's is really something Andy. The oldest ig we kept reached 18 before i had to put him down because of renal disease. Most reached that i kept (a hundred or so went through our doors) up to 14. but even Doc Mader says that reptiles that have had their renal system compromised will have significantly reduced lives specially chams, so I feel we did pretty good considering the condition they came in. I did not take "drop off" animals, only dyeing ones. way to many didn't make it past their first soak.

      My first real adoption is Juliette, our Brac from John Binns.

      thanks again Andy!

      BobMac
      http://www.reptileuv.com
      http://www.reptileuvinfo.com

      If you do nothing else today, visit and join the International Reptile
      Conservation Foundation (IRCF) at www.IRCF.org
      The International Reptile Conservation Foundation
      works to conserve reptiles and the
      natural habitats and ecosystems that support
      them.

      To: UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com
      From: tortoisetrust@...
      Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 07:28:40 +0100
      Subject: Re: I.iguana RE: [UVB_Meter_Owners] Re: Lamp distances with T5 tubes

      Hi Bob,

      Yes - we kept rescued igs for many years. The oldest only died last

      year. He was 21.

      We were in Costa Rica primarily to study Rhinoclemmys and to film the

      Poison dart frogs for a TV program. However, we also did as much with

      Iguanas as time allowed. Visited some of the breeding 'ranches' there,

      and tracked them through the forest, which was SERIOUSLY difficult and

      hard work. However, we saw some incredible things. Two really stick in

      my mind. One was this bright green bush, with bright green new leaves,

      covered in very small juvenile iguanas. Dozens of them. You had to look

      really hard as they blended in almost perfectly. The other was when we

      crossed this old bridge over a river, and suddenly, there were splashes

      to each side... large adults throwing themselves of branches 15-20 feet

      high and into the water, where they swam to the sides and made off into

      the forest. Incredible. It is an amazing habitat. We also saw Ctenosaura

      similis, and basilisks... all very fascinating, and very different from

      the environment we have here...

      Andy Highfield

      Tortoise Trust

      Almeria, Spain