Re: Which T5 bulb?

  • lilacdawndragon
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2012
      Hi, Michaela.

      If your chameleon was sitting 8" under the lamp (it should be above him, rather than shining sideways into his eyes) and the reading was 85 uW/cm2, then he was getting approximately UV Index 2.8, which is like gentle early morning tropical sunlight before 8.30am, or in light shade at other times of the day.
      And if that is as close as he can get, that's the highest UVI he can be exposed to. I would regard that as very safe. He has a 3ft high vivarium, so he can move nearly 2ft further away into his shady tree branches, if he's had enough "sunlight" for the day.... readings further away will drop very low, like deep forest shade.

      Personally I'd imagine that would be a very good set-up... but as I said, I don't keep chameleons so I'd really like some folks who do, to add their thoughts at this point....... Anyone?

      Frances

    • michaela.abate@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2012
        Hi Francis

        This is very interesting, thank you for your help.
        We use 5 or 6% tubes depending on make, either repti sun or Arcadia.
        This has answered a few questions regarding this subject.
        Am I right in thinking if we used 4 foot high, or higher vivs i should probably go for the 12% T5?

        Please take a look at our website, comments good of bad are very welcome.

        Michaela

      • michaela.abate@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2012
          Website is www.chameleonworldmuji.co.uk

          --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "michaela.abate@..." <michaela.abate@...> wrote:

          > Hi Francis
          >
          > This is very interesting, thank you for your help.
          > We use 5 or 6% tubes depending on make, either repti sun or Arcadia.
          > This has answered a few questions regarding this subject.
          > Am I right in thinking if we used 4 foot high, or higher vivs i should probably go for the 12% T5?
          >
          > Please take a look at our website, comments good of bad are very welcome.
          >
          > Michaela
          > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "lilacdawndragon" <lilacdragon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, Michaela.
          > >
          > > If your chameleon was sitting 8" under the lamp (it should be above him, rather than shining sideways into his eyes) and the reading was 85 uW/cm2, then he was getting approximately UV Index 2.8, which is like gentle early morning tropical sunlight before 8.30am, or in light shade at other times of the day.
          > > And if that is as close as he can get, that's the highest UVI he can be exposed to. I would regard that as very safe. He has a 3ft high vivarium, so he can move nearly 2ft further away into his shady tree branches, if he's had enough "sunlight" for the day.... readings further away will drop very low, like deep forest shade.
          > >
          > > Personally I'd imagine that would be a very good set-up... but as I said, I don't keep chameleons so I'd really like some folks who do, to add their thoughts at this point....... Anyone?
          > >
          > > Frances
          > >
          > > --- In UVB_Meter_Owners@yahoogroups.com, "michaela.abate@" <michaela.abate@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Frances
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the reply,
          > > > we use terry thatcher vivs which are modified for our chameleons.
          > > > The viv size of the light i tested is 3foot high. i measured the bulb at 8'' from light which was where my chameleon was sitting, the reading was 85. From what i understand from the readings these are ok?
          > > >
          > > > Regards Michaela

        • lilacdawndragon
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2012
            Hi, Michaela.

            Your chameleons are beautiful - and it's good to see that you take such care with providing good info for would-be purchasers of your little ones :-)

            > Am I right in thinking if we used 4 foot high, or higher vivs i > should probably go for the 12% T5?

            Well, yes and no. All that is really important is the distance between reptile and tube. He must be able to get close enough to obtain enough UVB, but not so close that he gets too much.

            The depth of the vivarium below that crucial basking area doesn't matter at all, as long as it's tall enough and has enough leafy tree in it for the chameleon to climb down the UV-visible light-heat gradient into cool shade.

            What you are looking for is a *maximum* Solarmeter 6.2 reading of about 85 - 100uW/cm2 with either an Arcadia or a ZooMed tube. That is as close as you want him to get. (That reading is only appropriate with those brands because their spectrum gives about 100uW/cm2 for a UV Index 3.0. Other brands and types of lamp, eg. mercury vapour lamps, will require different 6.2 readings)

            If you use a standard T8, 1" diameter 5.0 ZooMed or a 6% Arcadia tube, above mesh, this crucial distance will be very close to the lamp. So you'll need your top basking branch very close to the top of the vivarium. In fact, it is likely to be impossible to get a reading as high as that, with one of these tubes through mesh, even with the meter (or chameleon!) almost touching the lamp surface....

            If you place a clip-on reflector over the tube, this will increase the UVB below the tube so the top basking branch won't need to be quite so close to the top mesh.
            If you use a T5 High-Output Arcadia D3 6%UVB tube, the output is much higher so you can have the top basking branch even further away. Put a T5 reflector on this tube, and you'll need several more inches, at least, between the top mesh and the chameleon's back.

            Of course if you use a T8 (1" diameter) 10.0 ZooMed or a 12% Arcadia, fitted with a reflector, the chameleon's top perch can be further still from the roof of the vivarium.

            With the maximum strength, Arcadia D3+ 12%UVB T5 fitted with a reflector, the distance needed will be much greater still.
            We can do a very rough calculation - The thick mesh used for Reptariums blocks 35% - 50% of the light and UV (depending on brand)... Let's assume a worst case scenario, and say it blocks 50%.

            See the pdf file uploaded to this forum... you want a reading of 85 uW/cm2 WITH mesh. If 50% has been blocked by the mesh, then you want a reading of about 170uW/cm2 WITHOUT mesh....
            When I tested the lamp with reflector (no mesh) I got 197uW/cm2 at 30cm, and 156uW/cm2 at 35cm.
            So I'm going to hazard a guess that if your mesh blocks 50%, then with a 12%UVB T5 tube fitted with reflector, you'll need your chameleon to sit somewhere between 30 - 35cm below it.

            Does that make sense?

            So whether you use it in a 4ft vivarium depends upon whether you are happy with a 1ft gap between your chameleon's back and the roof of the vivarium.
            If your mesh only blocks 35%, though (like some ExoTerra mesh tops) the gap will need to be even greater.

            The 12%UVB T5 is fantastic for ground-dwelling species in 1 - 2ft high vivaria because the UVB can then be "sunbeam" strength at ground level. But for climbing species, which can get within 6 - 8" of the roof, the 6%UVB T5 may be more suitable, so you can create a "sunlit" area high up in the branches.

            Hope this helps!

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2012
              Hi Francis

              Thank you for taking the time to look at our website site. We still have plenty to add to it.

              The info you've given me is is very much appreciated Thank you very much!!

              I understand what you're saying, it makes a lot of sense.

              We've always used 5 or 6% tubes either repti sun or arcadia, though we know of a lot of people use 10 or 12% tubes. Which we believe to be too much.

              We've had a 6.2 uv meter for a few years now, and find it is a very valuable piece of equipment.